iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board feet per 2x4

Started by rickywashere, April 21, 2010, 10:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickywashere

ok guys i'm getting ready to buy some boards 16ft 2x4's and 14 foot 2x4's now what i need to know is how many to expect per thousand . these are reg 2x4 board no planing.. thanks

Tom

If you are talking board footage, you aren't talking about dressed sizes anyway.  An 8'-2x4 has 5.3 board feet.  A 16' 2x4 will have 10.6 board feet and a 14'-2x4 will have 9.3 board feet.

multiply the height in inches times the width in inches times the length in feet and divide by 12.

It's easy to remember.  You see most of the formula when you look at the sign in the lumber yard.  It says 2" x 4" x 8'   Just remember to divide by twelve and you have board feet for any board.   Board footage is a nominal, volume measurement and meant for rough lumber.

If you are meaning a thousand boards, then you will get pretty close to a thousand of any of them in a thousand boards.   If you mean a thousand board feet, then divide 1000 by the number of board feet in each one.  :P ;D :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

16'x2x4" = 97.9 pcs per 1000bft

14'x2x4" = 111.9 pcs per 1000bft

I hope this helps Mate

Edit You beat me to it Tom  ;) :D I tell Ya Havn to do bloody conversions is a real pita Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

rickywashere

thanks guys for the quick response i'll be calling the mill guys later today to place my order

captain_crunch

.666 bd ft per lineal ft on 2X4 or roughly 2/3 bd per lin ft
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!