iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this?

Started by Riggs, February 26, 2012, 06:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I have a hunch that it is some type of log roller/turner, but I'm really not sure. I'm betting someone here can tell me what it is and how it is used....

Here's another look

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

colinofthewoods

looking forward to reading what that is.

If I had to take an uneducated wild guess I would want that chain piece pounded in a log if I was using that out on the water on a boom. 

I had similiar setups to keep me from sinking tools when I was working on the water drilling boom sticks.

but I see you are not on the coast so...  looking forward to the answer

Magicman

No doubt, it is an ambidexter  thermostropter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Riggs

Quote from: Magicman on February 26, 2012, 06:53:09 PM
No doubt, it is an ambidexter  thermostropter.

:D :D :D That was my second guess
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Chuck White

It somehow looks to me like it could be used to stack logs.

Drive the hook on the end of the chain into an upper log, then lower the hooks that look similar to logging tongs onto a lower log, then lift the lower log into place further up the pile.

Anyone else got a guess!

I thought MM had it, then I started my own mind going!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

I'm thinking that is a fence or wire stretcher. Seems we had one similar on here before.

Can walk that along hooking and unhooking on another chain to "walk" along the chain. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

The logs are a bit mis-leading. that device is a chain come-along. I have one. Not shown is another piece of chain. The short piece of chain is tied to a load,  the other chain goes to some stationary object like a tree. By working the handle back and forth, the 2 claw hooks can be made to walk along the stationary chain one link at a time. Works good, most I've seen were home-made. Most common use was to stretch fence wire.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I think that mine was the most interesting.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

There is a picture of one being used as a wire strainer here.

These ones have scissor type clamps so you can clamp onto the wire to be pulled, but works exactly the same.

You can still buy the fence wire type ones at the local farm supply stores, look exactly the same as the 100year old ones in the museum  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Riggs

Thanks to all, pineywoods that makes sense, it was given to me by an old timer that said it was a type of cant hook, and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Now that I know what it's for I'll try to figure it out again. :)

Norwood ML 26

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like lifting tongs with a handle to guide the load.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WildDog

This is one I have hanging in an old shed, a bit too big for a wire strainer. All my fence straining is done with a similar tool, I use Hayes strainers, now they come with a hook on one end to attach to the strainer post for straining hinge joint/netting etc.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

beenthere

Can't decipher which of the wall hangings is the stretcher but assume it involves the small chain? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WildDog

QuoteCan't decipher which of the wall hangings is the stretcher but assume it involves the small chain?

Beenthere, that would be right, the black thing with a chain :) (not sure why that pic was in my gallery) I have got walls of this old junk, in the pic there's tongs for lifting railway iron, blacksmith tongs for wagon axles and the double ended jigs out of a foundry for forging picks and axes.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!