iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer switch

Started by flibob, April 29, 2010, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flibob

I got my new 1950's Rockwell planer wired up now the switch doesn't work.  It is 220V the switch says Cutler Hammer  D472005a  220v 60cy  Size 1.  When I push the start button it makes a little buzz and little lever moves out of the way but the big contact is not moved over to start the machine.  Any ideas?  It appears to be something simple but that switch is something else.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

woodmills1

my older 220 machines have contact points like old distributors in them...filing them clean works.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

flibob

It seems the contacter points are not being pulled over by a coil that I can see.

ely

not sure if its the same problem we had but.... our switch button is one of those half and half split buttons for on and off. it used to well then got hard to turn on, then even tougher to the point of pressing it with a screwdriver before it would start the planer.
finally it just would not make it go. when we looked into the button itself, underneath it was some sawdust that had collected and got deep enough that it would not allow the switch to function. we just blew it out and we were back in business.

logwalker

Is the switch supposed to be getting 220v and is it in fact getting it? Maybe the coil is only getting 110v. Is the wiring diagram still with the switch?

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

flibob

How the planer is wired has been a challenge.  All the wires on the original machine are very old the color is of no value.  The data plate shows that the motor is wired 220 and I just installed a new 220 curcuit to the machine with new 20 amp plugs so I think power in is good.  It would be nice to have a diagram of that switch.  I have a pretty good idea of how it works but am just using common sense.   All the wire is old and brittle and very hard to work with.  Any ideas?

Larry

Most of the starter schematics are online these days...trouble is finding them.  I searched two hours for a Square D schematic the other day before I found the answer.

A really quick google found this.
http://www.emsco.net/Wiring-diagrams.pdf

Another option is the OWWM site...some of those boys could tell ya off the top of their head. 

For the brittle insulation I have used heat shrink from Harbor Freight...sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and do a complete rehab...than it will be good to go for nother 50 years.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

flibob

I finally got the planer working.   When I dug into it the guy had wired the green wire as hot and black as ground. 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: flibob on May 23, 2010, 03:07:00 PM
I finally got the planer working.   When I dug into it the guy had wired the green wire as hot and black as ground. 

Flibob,

You did say you bought that planer at an estate sale, right? The guy that wired that up didn't deserve to live much longer... :o

Herb

SwampDonkey

There was a manufacturer of potato bin pilers that wired it up that way to. One day the plug got pulled out as it was being moved without being unplugged. A fellow wired it back up and black was now live, got a serious shock that brought him to the ground.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!