iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562 XP

Started by HiTech, June 27, 2013, 02:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Has anyone had trouble with this saw restarting after it has been run awhile and warmed up? I did the running it for so many minutes at a certain RPM to set the Auto Tune. Still after you run it for awhile and shut it off and leave it sit for a few minutes it may not start again. My other Husqvarna saws start on the first pull after they run then sit for awhile. The saw really cuts if you can get it running. Love the way it handles. Starts good cold, just not hot or warmed up. 

sharkey

From what Im hearing you have 2 options.  You can take it back in and have the computer re-flashed or you can set up a large log and keep the engine under load at full throttle for 5 min to recalibrate.  Its alot of cookies unless you have a big stick! 

OAP

For hot starts pull out choke then push it back in this sets fast idle, then push in decompression valve, leave the throttle alone and pull the start cord.
This works on the new auto tune saws its just a matter of getting used to it.

HolmenTree

My new last fall 562 gave me a little trouble restarting when left sitting for 5-10 minutes after warmed up, even after doing the initial 5 minute break in as the manual says. Had to hold the throttle wide open and drop start it, but only did that a few times on the 2nd or 3rd tank. Has run perfect since, it can sit a long time after warmed up and start without the choke. Now I still haven't mastered the primer bulb yet, is there a special procedure for its use? I can only see it being useful when the saw has been sitting for a few weeks or after running the tank dry.

You don't have to cut cookies to do the 5 minute run up. I just put a 2 ft long block on end and rip with the grain multiple cuts a 1/2 inch apart for 3- 5 minutes. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HiTech

Thanks guys, perhaps i haven't run it enough yet. Still fairly new. Only about a gallon and a half of gas through it. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and he seemed clueless about it. Sooo many want to sell but not service.

HolmenTree

The idea with this micro processor AutoTune in my opinion is it's designed to bring the servicing business back to the dealer who sold it, just like what the auto industry did with their computerized controls.
But the dealer has to realize that he has to purchase the required software and learn how to use this technology.

sablatnic

You might have a leaking needle valve. All the computer and injection stuff doesn't make the saw immune to an old-fashioned defect.

About the primer bulb on chainsaws: It doesn't inject any fuel into the engine. It just flushes the carburettor with fresh fuel, the excess fuel running back to the tank. You can't flood the engine by pumping too many strokes.

ehp

OK in most cases the saw is heat soaked so its hot so its told to run rich to help cool the motor , in this case just hold the throttle wide open when trying to start it , you will find it starts alot better in those hard to start times, I know my 562's all do this off and on and I just hold open and crank and they start

Corley5

So do you guys with these saws like them better than the old fashion models  ???  I'm interested ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HolmenTree

It was 90F with lots of humidity for the last couple of days and my 562 acted up a few times while dissecting some big maples and poplars. A little hard starting after shut down a few times but nothing serious.

For the amount of good care free performance the AutoTune technology delivers through out the different seasons of the year, far out weigh any hiccups it might have.
But I can see the technology improving in the near future. This improvement won't mean major changes in the saw's design......just a simple soft ware programming modification.

HolmenTree

I had the 562 up in a big spruce today doing a spar pole removal blocking it down [338XPT Husky and Silky handsaw removed the limbs].
The little bugger 562 was starting only on the 2nd pull half of the time when fully warmed up... a real PITA. It was still close to 90 with lots of humidity.
I guess I'll have to take it into the "servicing dealer" to get it tuned up :laugh:

MidWestTree

I keep reading these posts on the 562's hard re-starting issues, is there some line in the sand where Husky has gotten this figured out and made changes on newer product or are they still using the backs and wallets of their customers for Guinea pigs? 

I desperately need to replace two tired 60cc class saws with new ones and just can't bring myself to buy another one of Husqvarna's products that's in the field and failing prematurely or just wasn't tested enough before being released.

But I really need to buy saws again and it isn't going to wait another 90 days. Not sure what to do at this point but maybe look at another manufacturer.

HolmenTree

I haven't taken my 562 to the dealer yet, I come to realize they don't seem to like hot weather. Hard starting again today a few times after warmed up.

MidWestTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 29, 2013, 06:44:50 PM
I haven't taken my 562 to the dealer yet, I come to realize they don't seem to like hot weather. Hard starting again today a few times after warmed up.

Question for you if I may, are you finding the warm / hot re-start issue to be just a minor inconvenience requiring an extra couple pulls on the starter handle or is it costing you real lost time on a job for ten, fifteen or more minutes? Everyone seems to agree that their hands on experience with the performance of the 562xp is in a class all by itself compared to other 60cc class pro saw offerings currently available.

HolmenTree

Drop starting a saw with the right hand holding the throttle wide open and the left hand pulling on the rope is not my favorite way to start a saw, especially when you have to pull it multiple times to get it going, and its already warmed up :o.
Last saw I had to do this to was back in the 1970s with a Jonsered 621.
When weather temperatures are cool like in the spring or fall the 562 runs fine.
The 550XP seems to have the same issue.

HiTech

Quote from: MidWestTree on July 29, 2013, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on July 29, 2013, 06:44:50 PM

Question for you if I may, are you finding the warm / hot re-start issue to be just a minor inconvenience requiring an extra couple pulls on the starter handle or is it costing you real lost time on a job for ten, fifteen or more minutes? Everyone seems to agree that their hands on experience with the performance of the 562xp is in a class all by itself compared to other 60cc class pro saw offerings currently available.
From my experience with the hot start on the 562XP is it either starts on the first or second pull or you could be in for a session. A couple times I had to pull the plug to dry it off and no the saw wasn't choked, just set at high idle. If you start it cold and cut all day with it it is one awesome cutting saw. Can't believe the power it has...just don't shut it off. lol I think sometimes modern technology is better left in the labs...auto tune carbs. I would imagine one could get an aftermarket carb and solve the problem but why should you have to do that? I can't believe they didn't see this problem if they test ran these saws before letting the public have them.

HolmenTree

The way I see it these saws were designed for 8 hour a day production work at a logging site in the forest. Myself doing arborist work where it's stop and go cutting in a warmer weather urban environment.
I hope they get the T540XP  arborist auto tune saw right.......a lot of stop and go in aerial tree work.

John Mc

The description of it running fine if you keep it running, but having troubles if you run it hard in hot weather makes me wonder if it's getting vapor locked ??  If this is the case, keeping some fuel moving through the system might help prevent the vapor lock -- it may be when it sits still that some of the fuel in hotter spots boils, causing fuel flow issues when you try to restart.

Does letting the saw idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down help the restart issues at all?  This may let some of the hotter spots cool down a bit from where they'd be running under load at WOT, but still keep the fuel flowing a bit while it's doing so.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Not very practical John ,letting it idle for a few minutes before turning it off while busy doing treework.
But you may have a good point, I'll try it tomorrow, but having said that it has been cooler weather lately and the 562 is running fine. :D
This auto tune with a carb is the problem in my view. The future is going to see hand held gas powered tools with fuel injection............
Take for example Stihl's TS 500i Cutquick saw with computer mapped fuel injection, which they claim continuously and precisely determines fuel mixture, injected quanity and ignition timing. These Cutquick saws work in the harshest environment cutting concrete in the hottest of weather. Just a matter of time Stihl will have their pro chain saws with this setup.
I'm quite sure Husqvarna has their eye on this technology. ;)..........or do they ???

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 30, 2013, 11:26:42 PM
Not very practical John ,letting it idle for a few minutes before turning it off while busy doing treework.
But you may have a good point, I'll try it tomorrow, but having said that it has been cooler weather lately and the 562 is running fine. :D

I had forgotten you're doing arborist work. I agree it's not practical.  Still, might be interesting to help diagnose the problem when on the ground.

I had another thought:  I'm not all that clear on how the auto-tune works, but is the autotune just tuning for conditions created when the saw is very hot, then remembering that setting when you try to restart? 

I may be pushing the comparison a bit, but I fly a Cessna 172 with an air-cooled piston engine.  The mixture control is manual on these, so it's something I do have to fiddle with mixture regularly to compensate for altitude, temperature, etc. (not to mention the FAA grills you on this stuff in written and oral tests when you go for your pilot's license). Hotter air is less dense, so a hot day (or turning on the carb heat) puts less air through the carb making the engine run a bit richer.  You compensate by leaning a bit.  If i shut off at that setting, the engine is harder to restart.  Is the autotune remembering the "hot condition setting when you restart, or does it "know" you are starting, and richen the mixture accordingly?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MidWestTree

John your on the right track with the AT system and it's ability to sense "heat" and ambient air conditions. This feature is supposed to richen up your mixture and prevent a lean out condition automatically, subsequent scoring and destruction of the P&C should never happen due to hot and or lean conditions if it does it's job.

There's the problem with a warm restart on these, the saw is shut off with a hot cylinder. The AT system senses the heat and accordingly (I am assuming based on the numerous user complaints) gets the mixture a bit to rich to start it. As some users have advised blipping the throttle open with one hand and pulling with the other this would make sense to overcome the AT's design flaw.

Bottom line, just about all of us have to start and stop saws numerous times for a variety of reasons in the course of any day. This Auto Tune technology is ridiculous at this stage of it's offering and I wish I could go back ten years and stock up on saws that did the job we paid the price to these manufacturers for.

I'm sick and tired of seeing working guys pay the price for pro saws and get used for manufacturers R&D in the field while they try to make a living.

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on July 31, 2013, 07:03:28 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on July 30, 2013, 11:26:42 PM

I had another thought:  I'm not all that clear on how the auto-tune works, but is the autotune just tuning for conditions created when the saw is very hot, then remembering that setting when you try to restart? 

I may be pushing the comparison a bit, but I fly a Cessna 172 with an air-cooled piston engine.  The mixture control is manual on these, so it's something I do have to fiddle with mixture regularly to compensate for altitude, temperature, etc. (not to mention the FAA grills you on this stuff in written and oral tests when you go for your pilot's license). Hotter air is less dense, so a hot day (or turning on the carb heat) puts less air through the carb making the engine run a bit richer.  You compensate by leaning a bit.  If i shut off at that setting, the engine is harder to restart.  Is the autotune remembering the "hot condition setting when you restart, or does it "know" you are starting, and richen the mixture accordingly?
Good post John!
I'm no expert on this technology let alone computers and their software. But when treework slows down this winter I will have time to learn how to use the Husqvarna AutoTune software kit that I'm buying from a friend.
I'm sure someone here can better explain how this micro processor controlled carb works.

All I can say is last February when it was -20F below I had 3 brand new never started 550XPs that sat for a week in my unheated garage. When I went to start these saws I had to pull the rope on each one a couple hundred times before they were able to idle on their own. The choke seemed to do nothing and I guess the friction of the piston in the cylinder while pulling the rope that long , was enough to warm it up a little to get the micro processor to release some fuel. :D
The way I see it the saws "memory" was room temperature at the factory in Sweden when they had their initial run in. I should have warmed them up to room temperature before fueling them up and trying to start them.

John Mc

I've heard the autotune saws need a run in when brand new to get their initial settings dialed in by the autotune software.  Is this correct?

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on July 31, 2013, 11:32:33 AM
I've heard the autotune saws need a run in when brand new to get their initial settings dialed in by the autotune software.  Is this correct?
Yes that is correct, 5 minutes WOT cutting steady in a log. Don't cut cookies unless you have a log big enough to bury the bar. What I do is stand a 2 foot long block on end and rip cut down into it for as many cuts I can within 5 minutes.
I believe this should be done during change of seasons too.

HiTech

On my older Husqvarna saws I just pull them once when hot and they are running. No auto tune on them. Technology!? Good/Bad?? It's very aggravating pulling that rip cord many times to get a saw started. I am going to look for a replacement carb.

sawdusty1

I've been getting the itch for a new saw but this post has got me worried.  I have been wanting a 372xp for awhile.  What is the last year they made the xp's without the auto tune?
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

HiTech

I am not sure if all Husqvarna saws have it. I think it is just something they came out with in the 562XP. Don't get me or us wrong about the 562XP, it is a very powerful, fast cutting saw. Light in weight and easy to handle. The Auto tune carb needs some attention. Either the dealers have to catch up with the technology and get the equipment to service these saws or the Corporation has to step in and fix the problems. The 372XP is one of the best all around saws I know of.

sharkey

I was just sent a video of the newest AT saw out from Husky, the 455AT...  I would bet that consumers are not going to be as patient with this technology as pros are.   

keen

I have owned four 562's. I purchased two, one of them blew a crank bearing and was replaced under warranty. It had a lot of hours on it, so I has happy it was replaced with out a hassle. The other one had a crankcase bolt come out from under the flywheel and seized the saw up, jamming the bolt between the flywheel and crankcase. The bolt hole was stripped. It was replaced under warranty also. The latest ones I got don't seem to have a problem restarting in hot weather. I've had a few of the mufflers crack and broke a few mounts. I like the saws a lot. They are used 5 days a week if we're in smaller timber. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but having a good Husqvarna dealer around would make or break that deal.

oldbones

I've got the restart problem with my new 550 (same design at 562). My kid has it with his new 372.

Today I spoke with a mechanic who seemed to understand the problem. On the 372, he said he could go in and make a carburetor adjustment that is not exactly by the book. He said there was nothing he could do on the 550.

His advice for restarts is:

before restart, pull out the choke and then push it in to set fast idle.

do NOT push the decompression button. You want the compression to start it.

pull cord.

The mechanic said he had spoken to a Husky rep,  but the rep suggested this mechanic was the only guy who was finding problems. The mechanic also said, Stihl guys have been showing up at his shop with their new saws looking for help.

weimedog

Quote from: HiTech on June 27, 2013, 02:04:34 AM
Has anyone had trouble with this saw restarting after it has been run awhile and warmed up? I did the running it for so many minutes at a certain RPM to set the Auto Tune. Still after you run it for awhile and shut it off and leave it sit for a few minutes it may not start again. My other Husqvarna saws start on the first pull after they run then sit for awhile. The saw really cuts if you can get it running. Love the way it handles. Starts good cold, just not hot or warmed up.

Did the first few have an ignition issue? Think I head wind of a restart issue solved with a different updated ignition coil & different "program". Maybe it was the 555. (Mine doesn't BTW, but i've heard some of that class did. Suprised if the dealer isn't aware. Wonder if there is a service bulletin out there ..any dealers care to comment?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ET

Ive had my 550XP now for almost one year. Ive also had lots of restart issues and have found not pushing the compression release on restarts really helps. Once started hot the engine often runs very rough causing me to rapidly press throttle to keep running for maybe 15 to 30 seconds till it settles into running steady.  This is one very powerful little saw when it does run steady. The older it gets the better it starts.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ehp

most of the restart problems come from the engine getting heat soaked , if it does not want to start put it on fast idle or hold the throttle open and crank the saw , it will start 99.9% of the time . The 550 has a different brand of autotune and it sets itself everytime I fire my up and you can hear it going from rich to lean then back to where it needs to run , I donot use the cecompressures as they let to much compression off to make the saw start proper

HiTech

The first time I couldn't get it restarted I took the plug out to check to see if it was wet or dry. I was shocked as I never saw a spark plug that small. I said to myself, "there's the problem, they only put a half of a spark plug in it". lol The plug was wet and I dried it off and put it back in and the saw took right off. All I know is it is nothing like my other saws.

SawTroll

Quote from: HiTech on August 02, 2013, 02:51:19 PM
I am not sure if all Husqvarna saws have it. I think it is just something they came out with in the 562XP. Don't get me or us wrong about the 562XP, it is a very powerful, fast cutting saw. Light in weight and easy to handle. The Auto tune carb needs some attention. Either the dealers have to catch up with the technology and get the equipment to service these saws or the Corporation has to step in and fix the problems. The 372XP is one of the best all around saws I know of.

Are you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....
Information collector.

AdkStihl

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AMAre you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....

smiley_thumbsup
+1
J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
Are you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....
I only have to use the fast idle on my 562 in hot humid weather over 90F/32C. Cooler weather the saw starts fine on one pull when warm.
Using the fast idle is a pain but at least the "auto on" master control switch saves some time and effort.

SawTroll

Yes, the "auto on" is a very nice touch!
Information collector.

coxy74

I have two 562XP's, and think this issue comes down to the user?? As the one I use all the time, starts 1st pull every time after refuelling when the saw has been hot. Yet, the other saw ( this one gets used by different users ) sometimes can be a bugga to start, after refuelling. Yet when I have used it ( the 2nd 562 ) it starts fine for me after refuelling, and I start them both the same way.

Well that's my views anyway??

Paul ( coxy74 )

HolmenTree

Coxy, you guys just finished your winter and now getting into your spring and hot weather, perhaps you forgot about last summer's hot weather.
I'm not sure about New Zealand being as hot as the Australia mainland but I heard problems from there.

SawTroll

Quote from: coxy74 on October 03, 2013, 01:43:37 AM
I have two 562XP's, and think this issue comes down to the user?? As the one I use all the time, starts 1st pull every time after refuelling when the saw has been hot. Yet, the other saw ( this one gets used by different users ) sometimes can be a bugga to start, after refuelling. Yet when I have used it ( the 2nd 562 ) it starts fine for me after refuelling, and I start them both the same way.

Well that's my views anyway??

Paul ( coxy74 )

I believe you have a point there!   8) 8)
Information collector.

HiTech

Since the weather has started to cool off i haven't had a problem with restarting my 562 XP. Maybe it just doesn't like warm weather.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 26, 2013, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
I only have to use the fast idle on my 562 in hot humid weather over 90F/32C. Cooler weather the saw starts fine on one pull when warm.
Using the fast idle is a pain but at least the "auto on" master control switch saves some time and effort.
Yep. ;)

HotRail

No offense to the husky guys here, but a saw that runs like the devil, isn't worth crap if you can't start the dang thing or takes some trick to.  Hopefully something comes along for the 562xp that is set in stone, where Husky says do this and the saw starts hot or cold, humid or not.  Not a slam against husky cause there a great chainsaw manufacturer.  But I've said it before that I've had one husky dealer tell me I should wait on the 562xp.

bill m

My Husky dealer told me the same thing - wait.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: bill m on October 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
I don't see any need to wait Bill ;), my 1 year old 562 is nicely broke in with my tree service work and it's running better then any saw I ever owned in the last 40 years. I've been running it with a 16" b/c lately, it's snappier then all go heck.

I'm thinking about those 92F muggy days last summer and I think my 562 was telling me something, I should be taking it easy on those days. Doing hard physical tree work in those conditions can be hard on your noggin making the "computer" in my head not working so good either, along with some lingering side effects for days later.

JohnG28

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 23, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
Quote from: bill m on October 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
I don't see any need to wait Bill ;), my 1 year old 562 is nicely broke in with my tree service work and it's running better then any saw I ever owned in the last 40 years. I've been running it with a 16" b/c lately it's snappier then all go heck.

I'm thinking about those 92F muggy days last summer and I think my 562 was telling me something, I should be taking it easy on those days. Doing hard physical tree work in those conditions can be hard on your noggin making the "computer" in my head not working so good either, along with some lingering side effects for days later.

You mention 90+ degree days, I wonder if these saws with the environment in mind are tuned not to richen up the L end. My 361 used to restart hard in hot weather, L out a bit and no problems since.  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

John, yes that makes good sense. I'd have to take it to my Husky dealer and hope he has the software let alone the expertise to use it.
But no sense doing that for a few hot weeks in the summer. I have connections to buy the software for the auto tunes, but I probably would need my 10 year old daughter to program it for me :D

tlandrum

you can always go in and drill the low side of the carb if that's what it needs. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

JohnG28

HolmenTree, I wonder if they have the availability to make these adjustments? Could be the modern version of a limit cap? I assume with the right software in the hands of someone who's not a dealer could do it, some day? I don't imagine they'd let a servicing dealer perform such changes.

Tlandrum, what do you mean drill the L side of the carb out?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Lanternguy

wow great thread and great information.  this summer we had a pretty deadly heat/humidity wave in July and i was helping a friend get logs out of the bush using his dads fairly new XP saw cant remember the exact number but comparable to a mid size.  Since we had to drag out the logs with a 4 wheeler first lots of stop and go starts that day.  We were both exhausted from the re-starts as neither of us could figure out why this thing sometimes started and other times needed a full throttle pull over and over until blue faced to fire, we must have pulled the pug out 5 times thinking we flooded it each time.  We assumed we just did not know how to properly hot start a newer Husky since he runs a Dolmar's and my serious saws are Stihl, with no internet connection available to find a manual we just winged it and tried every combo to start and once it did dare not shut it off.  Actually its nice to hear it may be a know factory issue when hot starting as we had pretty bruised egos that night.

by the end of the day we were using an old Poulian pro on the smaller stuff because neither of us had the energy to pull that sucker anymore but when it was working man it was like laser beam quick.     
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Thank You Sponsors!