iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's this contest?

Started by jeff, June 24, 2001, 03:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Read your e-mail for rules!

We are talking about the stone now, not the wood. I dug this up a few years back with my post hole diggers. The Local University I.D.'d it for me.
The stone is about the size of a squashed baseball

Please visit Kretz Lumber!
Thanks to them, you might win their great looking hat!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Heres the email that I sent to members. If your a guest just looking, and you think you know what this is, just join and take a guess, you might win a hat. It's free and simple!

Hi Forestry Forum members!
     Here's a contest of a different flavor. It's an "I.D. this thing" contest. Only it's not a plant or a tree, and actually, it's a little removed from forestry. I am throwing this in for a change, and as an excuse to give away one of the fine hats that Timber Buyers Network member Kretz Lumber sent us for just such a contest.

(Please visit Kretz Lumber at http://www.timberbuyer.net/members/kretzlumber.htm )

To win go to the forum and guess what the object might be. Copy the following entire address into your browser window to go there:
http://www.timberbuyer.net/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=tree_id&action=display&num=993418024

The first person that gives me the correct answer wins a hat. If we don't have a winner by Saturday the 30th, I will pick the answer I like the best!

Thanks and good luck!
         Jeff...

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Hey!

Whats the deal? You just waltz across Texas and guess it that quick? Don Staples wins the Hat.

Don, send me your Snail mail address, I can't find it.

Were you here long enough to catch up a little bit? ;) Or at least play with one of the finest spellcheckers you know of?

Jeff

O.K. We have 2 hats. For the second hat, I need the discription of the Indian that made the firestarter. There may be more then one correct answer, but you have to be the closest by Saturday to what the University told me. The answer is not what you expect...

Tom

Holy Cow Don, How did you know that?

Indians around here must have used sticks or rubbed to Lightning bolts together because we don't have any rocks.

That indian was a short, fat, female toting a Hairy Mammoth cookbook and she went that-a-way. ::)

Might have been a Chippewa.

CHARLIE

Nope Tom...it was the Michigans a tribe of the might Souix Nation. They were the only indians this far up north to use a stone to start fires. They learned it from the Apaches down Texas way.  8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Roger_T

I would say it would be the Ottawa tribe, second guess would be the Chippewa tribe.

Roger

Gordon

Well I'll say this Jeff, Don can smell a hat from thousands of miles away. :D

The Indian had long hair and was way cold.

Sequoia

Gordon

Jeff

All good guesses. The off beat discription is what I am looking for, cause they actually gave me one kinda like those last two!

Jeff

As requested, here's Stacy modeling the Kretz Lumber Hat, which still remains unclaimed by the way. Sent Don an email and he still has not sent his address for Hat 1.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/members/kretzlumber.htm

Tom

That's a good looking hat Kretz made.
That's a good looking model too. Man, this site's got everything. 8)

CHARLIE

OK Jeff, I've held back long enough and given everyone else the chance I thought they deserved before I gave you the CORRECT answer. The only thing that concerns me is that you won't realize that this IS the correct answer.  The indian tribe is the Kickapoo Indians...the ones that made the "joy juice"!   8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I am not looking for the tribe. But a one word discription of the native american that made the firestarter. This is kinda like asking you to guess my sister's husband's, father's, greataunt's birthdate.

Tom

It would have to be a cold and hungry one to worry about building a fire rather than capturing one from a lightning strike.

The great aunts birthday was her first one.

Jeff

Your getting closer, still the wrong adjective.

Gordon

Frostbitten/hypothermic

young and playful

Gordon

Jeff

O.K. Its' Saturday.

Here is the story on the stone.

I dug this stone out of a hole I was digging when I put my deck in. right away you could see that those two holes were almost unnaturally round. The odd thing was that they were larger at the bottom then they were at the top. I figured they were man made, and if not , I sure wanted to know what process could cause such a hole. So I dropped it off at the University.

Their answer: A (word for "not so bright" goes here) native American made it. As it turned out, this stone was made as a firestarter. A small amount of kindling material is put at the bottom of the hole, (this is why the hole is larger at the bottom) then a hardwood stick is rotated in the hole causing friction to ignite the material in the bottom. The problem was, this type of stone is not the type of stone that is usually used for making these. The University felt that it was probably made, then discarded, because it did not work very well because of the stone type. I asked why 2 holes? They said (word for "not so bright" goes here)

So, who gets the hat?

Don Staples is real close to forfeiting his hat, he has not returned an e-mail yet with a place to send it!

Gordon

CHARLIE

Well Jeff, I would have never guessed the answer being a "Not too bright indian". I reckon 'cause I didn't know about firestarter stones. I just figured...if that's a firestarter stone....firestarter stones must have 2 holes.

Actually, it could have been an "exceptionally bright inquisitive indian". Someone that was always searching for a better way and willing to accept many failures for that one success. How many times did Thomas Edison do something like that in search of the best filiment for a light bulb? Since noone really knows, I'm going to think of this indian as an inquisitive and brilliant chap.

My sweetwife said that she thought a good description was an indian woman since they probably started most of the fires for cooking and heating. Or...she said...maybe the medicine man.

Anyway...thanks for the contest...it was fun and I learned something.   8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie

Jeff

You should not be calling Native Americans names like that!

Actually they used the word Stupid. And let's stay politically correct and say Native Americans are not stupid. Just that particular one seemed to be!

Charlie gets the Hat! I like his explanation about the inquisitive Indian better then the University's!
Charlie email me your mailing address!

Don gets 10 days to claim his hat starting now. Next contest will be a new Millionaire test. Ron W. has sent me some new questions a while back.

Texas Ranger

OK, guys and girls, I am here, finally, cause I have been unable to sign on until now.  I think smoke signals may work better between Texas and Michigan than this computer do-hickey.  Any way, in a previous existence (student) I dug stuff like this as well, I was gonna call it a cheese press stone until I saw the size of a squashed base ball, and went back to the anthropology training I had as a student.  Cheese press stone came from all the cheese y'all produce up there, or is it cheesy posts?  Anyway, like one poster said, I can smell a free hat from several states away!

Actually, I have a hat rack in the office where I display forestry related caps I have collected from across the nation, and am still waiting for a German cap from Reinhard over at the about.com forestry board that SNix runs.  So far, the caps from Michigan and California Land Owners Association are my most distant ones.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CHARLIE

I GET A HAT!!  WOW!! THANKS JEFF!! I'LL WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!!  HEY TOM!  I GOT A HAT!!  I like wearing hats....

Actually Jeff, I've been thinking...while I was mowing the lawn. I don't like to think 'cause it gives me headaches and I usually end up getting into trouble, but anyway. I think what you have there is "THE PROTOTYPE" It was the first firestarter ever made in the Americas. A rare find indeed! Much rarer than the humdrum firestarters with one hole in a rock that produced heat. :)
Charlie

Gordon

Congrats to you hat winners! I was close but not close enough. Well maybe next time. Have fun wearing them. They are some very nice looking hats.

Gordon

CHARLIE

Hey Jeff! I got da hats. Dang they make me look even better than I already look! I'm mighty purty with 'em on. I'm gonna try and get a picture and see if Tom can put it on the forum for me. THANKS a bunch. I'm gonna have fun wearing them.
   8) 8) 8)
Charlie

Thank You Sponsors!