iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Under TV Cabinet *Finished*

Started by DWyatt, November 01, 2019, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

I figured I was finally far enough along to share some pictures of my next project I am working on. My parents have a lot of furniture pieces that I have made throughout my life, but they just built a house at the lake and Mom asked if I could build something for that house. She wanted a cabinet to be built for under the TV to hold all the TV components and DVDs and what not. Here is the original drawing she gave me, the basic premise is the same but the dimensions have changed some.

Unfortunately I couldn't talk her into not painting the cabinet. The nice part of having a sawmill and kiln is that you can use some beautiful wood and not feel as guilty about painting it as some people would.  Here's some of the components in the assembly process.

Next I did a full scale test assembly before I painted all of the internal components. This process was ROUGH. About 20 joints all had to go together at the same time for this process and it took a lot of choice words to get everything together and numbered.

I took everything apart and painted all of the internal components. This was my first rodeo with Target Coatings em6500. This stuff sprayed better than any paint I have every used. It laid down nice for the first coat and 30 minutes later was ready to sand with 320 and shoot a second coat all in the same evening after work.

Then last night I got the full case glued up and assembled. This went incredibly smooth compared to the test assembly before paint.

This morning before work I pulled off all the clamps to see how it all held together.

I just need to cut the back out of 1/2" ply, paint it, and slide it into the groove cut into the back legs. I need to build the drawer and the door that will cover the shelves on the left side of the cabinet. The door will be tricky with the herringbone pattern that she wants but I have an idea how to get that accomplished. Stay tuned for more progress, hopefully this weekend.

WDH

How does the glue work with the paint?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Quote from: WDH on November 01, 2019, 06:53:24 AM
How does the glue work with the paint?
Every surface that was glued together after being painted was taped prior to painting. I  had a half hour of just taping the internal joints of the cabinet before I could paint anything.

samandothers

Man, you must have a lot of nice wood to paint ambrosia and use slab pieces for layout!  :D

Looks like a really nice design.  I too wish she would have wanted the piece finish with oil versus paint, but the top will give it a good contrast.

DWyatt

@samandothers Dad's woods is loaded with Ambrosia Red Maple so there will be plenty to spare. That doesn't mean I'm not upset about the whole ordeal. And the slab is something I flattened for the neighbor on my router sled. You won't find much walnut in my shop, I try to avoid it when possible.

I believe I am going to use a white oak live edge slab that has quartersawn figure for the top which I think will give a good contrast to the turquoise painted cabinet. 

samandothers

That will make a nice contrast!  I look forward to seeing it.

Why do you avoid walnut?

Ljohnsaw

Are the front pieces going to be painted as well?  If so, the herringbone could be faked. Just do a v-groove to simulate?

I love the look of wood grain.  My daughter was looking at a house that had a "wood room".  Old oak floors, wood cabinets and paneling, wood ceiling with big beams.  She and the agent said "paint it!".  NOooooo!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

samandothers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 02, 2019, 06:40:33 PMMy daughter was looking at a house that had a "wood room".  Old oak floors, wood cabinets and paneling, wood ceiling with big beams.  She and the agent said "paint it!".  NOooooo!
:o  :'(

DWyatt

Quote from: samandothers on November 02, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
That will make a nice contrast!  I look forward to seeing it.

Why do you avoid walnut?
I am just not a fan of walnut. When doing any cutting or sanding I have to wear a respirator or else I will end up with some form of bronchitis every time. I can work with any other woods and not have problems, but Walnut tears me up. I say this now, but my next major project is going to be a baby's crib for someone that will likely be made out of walnut and that project will probably remind me why I don't like working with it.

samandothers

I wondered if it was for allergy reasons.  You turn out great work with the other woods, I'd stay away too.

DWyatt

I'm sure it is allergies as well. I've been stuck working on the chicken coop since it's getting cold and I need to get it done soon so I haven't been able to work on the cabinet. I have some ADD when it comes to working on projects because I have so many going on at once. I hope to get the coop out of the garage this week and get moving on this project.

ManjiSann

Quote from: DWyatt on November 04, 2019, 06:44:38 AM
Quote from: samandothers on November 02, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
That will make a nice contrast!  I look forward to seeing it.

Why do you avoid walnut?
I am just not a fan of walnut. When doing any cutting or sanding I have to wear a respirator or else I will end up with some form of bronchitis every time. I can work with any other woods and not have problems, but Walnut tears me up. I say this now, but my next major project is going to be a baby's crib for someone that will likely be made out of walnut and that project will probably remind me why I don't like working with it.
I've read a lot of people have issues with walnut dust. 
I started reading your chicken coop thread and now this one and all I can say is You Sir Do Some Very Fine Work!  I look forward to seeing how this one turns out as well 
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

samandothers

@ManjiSann
Check this one out too:
Red Maple Bedroom Suite *Update in General Woodworking

If the link does not work check out Red Maple Bedroom Suite *Update it is very nice bedroom set.  Brandon, I am a fan of DWyatt's work and many other of the talented folk here.  

DWatt, thanks for sharing your work.

DWyatt

Hopefully next week I will be able to get back to this project, with the weather taking a turn for the worst, I need to get that coop done before I get back to working inside. My girlfriend thinks the chickens will freeze to death so she is clearing my schedule to work on the coop :D

ManjiSann

Quote from: samandothers on November 12, 2019, 10:22:22 AM
@ManjiSann
Check this one out too:
Red Maple Bedroom Suite *Update in General Woodworking

If the link does not work check out Red Maple Bedroom Suite *Update it is very nice bedroom set.  Brandon I am a fan of your work and many other of the talented folk here.  

Thanks for sharing your work.
samandothers, thanks for pointing that one out! I did a quick read and I agree, very nice work! Some day I aspire to that kind of competence  :)
I'm glad you've enjoyed the work I've done  :)
Brandon

ManjiSann

Quote from: DWyatt on November 12, 2019, 01:07:24 PM
Hopefully next week I will be able to get back to this project, with the weather taking a turn for the worst, I need to get that coop done before I get back to working inside. My girlfriend thinks the chickens will freeze to death so she is clearing my schedule to work on the coop :D
Heh behind every productive man is a woman who can properly clear his schedule  :) :)  I'm curious though, where does she think the frozen chickens in the grocers come from  ;D ;D
Brandon 

Dan_Shade

It looks very nice.  I like your spraying area 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DWyatt

In between working on the coop this weekend, I was able to make some good progress on the cabinet. Got the door and drawer front made and got everything painted. Everything is turning out great! Here's a few pictures of the progress. Finishing making the drawer tonight and getting the top cut out.

DWyatt

In between finishing the coop, I got this cabinet all finished up! I really was not a fan of the painted cabinet, but when I put the top on, it brought the whole piece together! I posted pictures on my Facebook page and already have someone checking measurements to see what size theirs need to be.

Yes, our Christmas tree is up, I held it off for as long as I could. ::)

Dan_Shade

That looks really nice. 

We don't have a tree yet, but the music is in full swing.  :) 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

That top is beautiful, but does not look like white oak.  Looks like pecan or hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ManjiSann

Looks really nice! I like the herring bone pattern on the one door.

Brandon 

samandothers

The project turned out great and the top does give it a nice finish.  I know mom will like it.

DWyatt

Quote from: WDH on November 25, 2019, 07:28:22 AM
That top is beautiful, but does not look like white oak.  Looks like pecan or hickory.
Mom decided she wanted the top to be Red Maple to match the dinning room table dad will be building so the White Oak idea got changed.

DWyatt

Thank You all for the kind words!

Thank You Sponsors!