iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hoosier Cabinet?

Started by Paul_H, August 13, 2006, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

My wife bought this yesterday and is planning on stripping the paint and replacing knobs and trashing the the plastic panels in the doors.Somebody in the 1970's by the looks of the plastic panelling and the dark brown arborite did a remodel on this and she would like to finish it more to original.

It had a tin top with enamel that came with it but it doesn't fit by a long shot and we are wondering if these have wood counter tops? When I look underneath,it appears original where the top meets the cabinet so I'm thinking it was originally wood.The top is t&g and is full of tiny insect holes but the rest of the cabinet is free of holes.

Would there have been a screen in the cupboard doors or the tin pie safes.She is not hung up on getting it exactly as original although close would be nice.

This next pic was taken from up underneath where the flour bin sits

Any recomendations for the top?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Brad_S.

Hard to tell from photos, but that piece looks "married" in that the top and the bottom are not original to each other. The top is very ornate, the bottom is comparatively simple in design. In all the Hoosier style bakers cabinets I have seen, none had that kind of scroll work on the top and appears more like a 70's interpretation of Early American. The ppb holes in just one section of the piece also raises suspicion. Does the top show age on the inside and are the top and bottom made from the same wood?
Most of the originals I have seen have porcelain enamel tops, but I have seen wood. Most doors are all wood but the glass ones I've seen are usually frosted glass.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Paul_H

Brad,

you had me wondering so I went out and had a really good look.The pics below are of two drawers,the small one on top is from the top cabinet and the larger one on the bottom is from the bottom cabinet just above the flour bin.

The top cabinet and the bottom are separate from each other but appear to be the same wood and construction except the back of the top  has had a 1/4" plywood repair in the past.Each of the top cupboards has a tin bottom to it.

The bug holes are only in the counter top in the bottom section underneath where the arborite had been. ???

Brad_S.

Certainly looks like they belong together!

thecfarm

This is what our hoosier looks like.
The bottom part looks to be old,but that top is newer to me.I have seen punched tin in the doors,but we prefer the wood look.We have probaly seen about 50 hoosiers in our antique travels and most look like the one we have.Some make be smaller,some bigger.The big draw that is open in the last picture on the first group of pictures should be all tin,except for the front.This is where we keep our bread.Out enamel top can slide out a foot for more work area.I have seen one with a wood top.Do a search on hoosiers and that should help you.I side with Brad_S,looks like a married piece to me too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

One other thought on the porcelain top. The top hutch and the bottom hutch are usually connected with metal braces that let the porcelain top slide in and out to offer the cook more counter space, as thecfarm mentioned. Could this extra sliding capability be the reason you don't think the top fits the base?
Here is a link to one style of connectors. If yours doesn't have a means of connecting the top and bottom while allowing the porcelain base to float free, see if there are hints of old screw holes on the bottom of the top piece and the top of the bottom piece near the back. http://www.vandykes.com/product/02226646/

Tom

When did it become popular to call those content holding think-a-muh-jigs in a cabinet, a Draw?   We always called them Drawers or a Drawer, until Norm came on the scene.   Is this a coloquial thing or did I miss something when I was younger?   ??? :)

Paul_H

While we were in Calgary we visited Heritage park and saw a starter home that was offered as a kit to Canadians at the turn of the century.The package included 60 acres of land and a small house that looks to be the size of a box car with storm windows and had a cabinet(painted cream White) similar to the one i've shown and a small woodstove all for $1500.

The flour bin shown in the first set of pics is all tin.I'm really perplexed here because the top is made of the same material,has identical hinges and appears to be the same age and colour wood as the bottom cabinet.The joints are the same too but I realise that would be easy enough to copy.

here is a look at the t&g on the underside of the top cabinet

...and the top of the bottom cabinet

Rollers for the flour bin

What is meant by the term married?Does that mean two separate but similar pieces joined to make one?

Brad,

the porcelin top that came with it is an inch too wide to fit between the base of the upper cabinet.It looks very similar to cfarm's,would be nice if it was would fit the base.

Thanks for the insights

CHARLIE

Paul, I did an Image Search on Google and got pictures of lots and lots of Hoosier Cabinets. It should give you an idea of the many different designs that are out there. Who knows, you might even find one that looks similar to what you have.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hoosier+cabinet&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Brad_S.

The term "married" in the antiques field is a term of derision. It is the taking of unrelated pieces and putting them together and passing them off as original. When done with some thought it can be hard to pick out but when done poorly, the resulting piece has a "something is just not right here" look that even neophytes pick up on. Examples would include a pine top on oak table legs, hardware from one period style inappropriately applied to another style, etc. Especially prone to being married are furnishings that are in several pieces. It's easy to pick up just the upper or lower half of something at an auction and "marry" it to something that's been sitting at the back of the workshop waiting for a mate. >:(
Married pieces are usually paired up by unscrupulous dealers that are out to make a quick buck on someones ignorance. They usually would not go to the effort of matching wood, joints and hardware. That would take too much time, effort and skill and would kill the profit. The fact that yours matches in all these respects would seem to indicate the pieces belong together, although I have to say your piece is one of the most unique bakers cabinets I've seen. It's that very top plate rack that is so different. It gives it a top heavy feel.
IMO, replace the plastic with what you feel you like. If you want to hide the cupboard contents, frosted glass will give it a more formal look, punched tin a more primitive country feel. If you want to display items that will be seen, clear glass or wire would be fine.
Many of these cabinets were made to be painted with rather ugly wood underneath. Once you get it stripped you will be able to tell if it will look good stained or if it should be painted again.

woodbeard

QuoteWhen did it become popular to call those content holding think-a-muh-jigs in a cabinet, a Draw?   We always called them Drawers or a Drawer, until Norm came on the scene.   Is this a coloquial thing or did I miss something when I was younger? 

It's a New England accent thing. It's how you would say drawer if you had misplaced your r's. Get the idear?  ;D

Brad_S.

I followed one of the Google photos Charlie posted and found this sequence of construction of a reproduction Hoosier.
Of interest is the sawmill in MI where they get their wood. It has one of those orange things in the background.
Hoosier

Paul_H

Brad,

it's dark outside now so I can't see clearly anymore but here is a blurry pic from earlier today ;D
The plate rack may have been added because the wood is quite dark and has a somewhat more "aged" look.The pic shows the plywood added to the back of the upper cabinet and the corner where the top and the plate rack meet

I believe Carla wants a painted  informal look for the kitchen,she really liked the homely look of the the one at Heritage Park.She is working on a ugly ol' farm table right now,the type with a small drawer underneath and turned legs so I'm getting the idea that it's a farmhouse look she's going for.

Great link Charlie,I'll pass it on to Carla!

thecfarm

Tom,I missed spelling in the third grade.  ;D  I say drawer,but I spelled it draw.I knew what I meant to say.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

getoverit

Norm Abrahm is a heck of a craftsman and woodworker and I drool over his tools and workshop... never could figure out how he says the word "drawer" though :D  My mouth just aint made right to say it like that :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

I was just wondering.   ???

Figured Norm had coined a word. :D

katie-did

Here is a "Hoosier" I got from my mothers neighbor that I am trying to refinish and fix.
   The reason that I put Hoosier in quotes is that these days so may people use Hoosier Cupboard so loosely that some people have no idea what a true Hoosier cupboard is. Hoosier is a company name the style of cupboard was made by several companies. I know the Sellar Company made one that looks just like the Hoosier companies cupboards. Normally there is a metal tag on the cupboard that has the company name on it. My mothers Sellar has the tag but Sellar's also have a S on the door latches. Mine dose not have any markings on it so I am not sure what it is. But in the research that I have done I am pretty sure that it is a original Hoosier.
Here are some Pic's

Before I bought this one I had never saw one with colored glass in the doors. But after I found that there are a lot of them out there. I have on piece of glass that has the corner broke. I really do not what to replace it so I hope it dose not brake anymore.

I have the paint stiped out of the inside most of the way but it is not cleaning out of the grain very will at all. I was told to try a heat gun but I am not sure that will even work. I think I am going to strip as much of the old paint off so I know it is not going to chip and just paint the inside agian since I can't get all the paint off.

Here is a picture of how the top fits on. I do not know if the will help you Paul. The top dose hang over the lower cupboard by almost and inch and the metal brackets on the sides hold it in place.

I can't wait to get it refinished and in the house. I still have the doors to strip the doors. There is Red paint under the cream on the doors and it is not coming off very easy. Then I have to get the bottom all taken apart. It was in a basement that was very damp and the panels have warped and the bottom stringer had came lose on one end. Any tips on getting the other joints apart????

Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Paul_H

Thanks Katie,that's a great project you've got happening there.I'm glad you cleared up the "Hoosier" name.We were under the assumption that it was a generic name for a particular style of cabinet much the way couch or sofa are used and didn't know it was a company name.I'll bet this was made in Canada.
What would the name used to describe this type of cabinet?

Do you have any recent pics showing your progress?

metalspinner

Katie-did,
The paint will be tough to get out of the pores in the oak.  Sherwin Williams had a stripper that you apply a fabric backing to after spreading the stripper on the wood.  After many hours - can't remember off the top of my head - you peel the whole thing off.  I used it on some woodwork in the house, and it got 90% of the paint. 8) 8)  There were many layers.  A wire brush and stripper will help with the pores.  Be careful, too, that the old paint is not lead based.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

katie-did

Thanks Metalspinner
I  don't know how well that would work now since I have all the paint off but what is in the grain. I did a chest of  darws that was oak and I used a brass brush to get it out but it is not working on this. Don't know if it is because of the kind of paint or what.
I know about the lead based paint thing. That is why I want to get most of it off before I would even paint it. The nice part is that they did not paint the bottom so all I have to do is strip the inside of the top. 8)

Paul thanks I just hope I get it finished someday soon. I have been working on it for 2 years now. I don't have room in the shop to work on it so I can only work on it in the summer and well I have this Husband that thinks he can stack lumber in all of the Garage in the summer.  ::)  :-X I am hoping to work some more yet this summer.
No I do not have any new pictures but when I get it back out I will try and take some.

thecfarm

katie-did,I notice the lack of a flour sifter,recipe book rack,spice holder,couple racks that are on the 2 doors,bread board,I guess that's all that came with ours.On the bottom of our 2 doors,there is a piece of wood that we can slide all the contents out to find something.I do hope something came with yours.We looked for many years for ours.In fact the first time we saw it,it was in a pile,all in pieces.The guy refinished it,and recanvased the rool top.When he got it done he called us and we bought it.Many don't come with the goodies.They disappear over the years or find new uses.We was lucky nobody ever painted ours.But some was done with wood that doen't hold a good finish.These look better painted.Good luck with your hoosier.It looks good.

katie-did

thecfarm
No mine did not come with all the goodie. But I got a good deal. The lady had a stroke and was put in a home and a friend had to sell all of her stuff. I only paid about $100 for it. I had a lot of work to do on it but in the end it will mean a lot to me. It is not just one I bought at a flea market. Someday I hope to have my mother's Sellar, it was my grandmother and it is almost original. It has the original finish, bread board, racks in the door the lid in the pastry draw and somewhere they have the canisters. The inside is painted but that was the way it came. On mine I was not looking at it for value it is more for storgage and the look.  I do not know what mine originaly had I do not find any holes where racks or any of the othre stuff should have been so I am going to leave it like it is.

katie-did

thecfarm
In your picture is that one of them Modern Old Stoves? I have been looking at them in a catalog and was wondering if they were nice. We are going to be building our retirerment house and my goal is to have it look like it has been sitting on the mountian for 100 years. So with this house I am working on getting all the things that we can move down there pretty easy and then when we build I do not have to be buying so much. And at the cost of them stoves I think I am working in the right direction.

Paul_H

Cfarm,

I was reading your bio in your profile,very interesting and it would be great to hear more.Would you mind posting some pics of the place too?

thecfarm

katie-did,that stove is a Elmira.It is a modern range covered to look like an old cook stove.You can have them built with gas or electric oven or top and any way you want it.We have 4 top burners that are gas and 2 surface that are electric with a convention electric oven.I will post a picture of our cook stove later.We call this stove a brand new antique.We have a stove place in Thondike Maine that rebuilds old stoves.We both just love to go there and look around.I was going to have the one done in the old farm house.I told them what kind of shape it was in and they said it would be cheaper to buy one that they had.It's the exact same kind,but my Grandmother never used it.My wife does use it some to cook on when we have a fire in it.We use this to heat our house all winter long.Between my wife and I getting up in the night,we rarely loose the fire.In case some of you don't know,the fire box is a little longer than a shoe box.That would be great to build place like you mentioned.This is our retirement home.We put 3 foot doors in the whole house,a high hooper,walk in shower,no over head cupboards,all drawers under the side board.Pull a drawer out,don't find what you want.close it and keep looking.Don't have to get down on your hands and knees.All on one floor,we do have a basement,don't have to go down there.
Paul_H,I will post some picture of the old farm house and the land.I do have more stories too.

Thank You Sponsors!