iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many Poke salid eaters out there?

Started by Banjo picker, May 20, 2010, 08:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

How many knows what it is ....I would like to know where all it grows....For those that don't know it is a wild green that grows on ditch banks (and around my horse fence) in the south...You boil it a couple of times and eat it with cornbread...boiled eggs....and may be some pinto beans if you are lucky...My dad said to always eat at least 8 messes a year....After the leaves get too big you can skin the stalk batter it in meal and fry it like okra....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

I picked my second batch this afternoon. This year is the first time I have eaten any since I was a wee little feller and had it at my grannies place. Never heard of eating the stalks. Any precautions before you eat it that way?

More about polk salat here; https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43492.0.html
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

I made some last week. Delish! Pinto beans, fresh white bread slathered with butter, and pork chops.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Banjo picker

LeeB there is nothing special done to it...As a matter of fact the ole guy that showed me how to eat them that way brought in some that was way to big to eat the leaves....I said as much...then he told me we were gona eat the stalks....just peal them cut them up and bread them with meal and make like they were okra....After reading my first post ...I got something wrong... it was 9 messes you were supposed to eat... :D

I missed that earlier post, thanks for showing it to me...I did a search before I started this one but evidently spelled it a tad diffrent... 

I been having a rough time gettin on line lately....the tech came out today and things are better for now....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!