iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making your own flour and cornmeal plus cooking with it.

Started by 21incher, August 16, 2023, 06:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I've made bagels.

Here, have a pretzel. ;D  They are made pretty much the way bagels are. Boil'm and bake'm. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Those last two post looks great!!!!
I really like those thick pretzels!!! Don't like a lot of salt on them, but that can be rubbed off.
Use to be a guy at Freburg Fair that would make them right there in a small booth. I used to but a lot of them. He kept going up in price and I would only buy a couple from him at the end.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Well today's bagels turned into a totally new experience.  My wife started the dough this morning and got to the point it was time to boil and bake them. The power flicked on and off 10 times and then went out. Well we were out over 4 hours and uncovered them to find ugly dried out things that didn't even resemble bagels. Boiled them and they collapsed then added toasted sesame seeds and baked not expecting much. Well we have invented the best bagel rolls ever. So light and airy with the bagel flavor.  A successful failure in the end. Going to use them for ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches  :o

Never give up.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Bagels rolled into Baked donuts maybe instead. ;D

I've made baked jelly filled donuts.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

I'll have to figure  out how to inject cream cheese and elderberry jelly into them 8)
Actually have some bison burgers defrosting to put on them for tomorrow's lunch  food6
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Well it's time to make some bread again. I put some ground roasted flax in mine lately. Around 1/4 cup in with the cereal and hot water and let cool as usual before continuing.

Don P

Well, I tried the youtube embed; it looked like it wanted to;

There we go, I think it took. I ordered organic white corn from the folks mentioned in the video I posted a few weeks ago. The truck came last night. About 30 people were there to meet it and we unloaded all kinds of good food and got it sorted to everyone. We moved the loader this morning and my partner had a doc appt so I decided to grind this afternoon. I had ordered 50 lbs so just ground 25 and I'll hold the other for a bit. I've made 2 pans of cornbread tonight, it is good but the non organic from down the mountain has a little better flavor in my mind. Grinding took under a half hour, cleanup took 3 :D

Jeff

I did not know we had a youtube embed! It worked on mobiletoo
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

SwampDonkey

I'll be making some multigrain tomorrow with some ground roasted flax in also. Have used most of a 3 litre container since Christmas. Never thought we'd ever use it all, was gift. I like the flavor in the bread. :) Comes from Saskatchewan.

21incher

Yes the 7 grains really add great flavor. We love it toasted for breakfast that really brings out the grain flavors. I am on my Win 10 machine and no problems typing. using the smileys is a problem.

Don P

SwampDonkey

Windows 11, which I don have. You have to have that security chipset for it to install.

Don P

This is a good video, he explains a bit about the different wheats, why to keep it cool and a couple of terms I did not know the roots of. From food service training, he was driving me nuts  ffcheesy.

21incher

Great  video. That's why the Mockmill is junk. It roasted everything ground fine in it. Just finished grinding  a red wheat,  rye, and einkorn mixture for today's loaf. Each grain adds unique flavor and texture.   :thumbsup:

21incher

Well that was a failure  :wacky:.  Tried 1/3, 1/3, & 1/3 of the red, rye, and einkorn but should have stuck with  50% red and 25%, 25% that we have excellent luck with. Looks like I drove  my truck over it but still has great flavor and texture.  A lot of black magic involved
20240210_112214.jpg20240210_113000.jpg
Better then working for a living.  Worst one yet. ffcool ffcool ffcool

SwampDonkey

If you don't get enough gluten it will collapse, same if it is raised too much.

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 10, 2024, 01:00:09 PMIf you don't get enough gluten it will collapse, same if it is raised too much.
That's why cutting back the percentage of red wheat threw off the ballance. Added 4 table spoons of vital wheat  gluten and thought it would be fine.

SwampDonkey

That's why I never add more than a 1/3 cup cereal and ground flax in a 6 cup recipe.

21incher

We use 2/3 cup of 7 grain cereal I roll in the 7 grain loaves and that doesn't affect the rise because we use 50% hard red and 50% hard white flour.  I'm trying to get a more robust rye flavor loaf that is the latest fight. Got the flavor now and may try soft white wheat instead of einkorn next loaf with a little extra vital gluten.  Just having fun trying different combinations and testing the results. ffwave

SwampDonkey

Rye is quite low in gluten compared to wheat and barely. I believe oat flour has no gluten as long as it's not contaminated by other flours in the milling.

21incher

Yes that's the issue with rye. Einkorn is also very low gluten. Got the flavor we want but may have to give some of that up for looks. We have also ground groats and rice for gluten free flours to play with gluten free bread for our granddaughter. That is another  whole story that has helped the birds make it through the winter ffcheesy.   

thecfarm

Quote from: 21incher on February 10, 2024, 05:58:01 PMJust having fun trying different combinations and testing the results.
Testing? eating  :wink_2:  
I like seeing the results!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Well it's time to make more bread this morning.  :thumbsup:

21incher

Fresh batch of bagels just out if the oven. Toasted sesame seeds and crumbled Maldon sea salt flakes. These are our favorites from the breadmaker cookbook.
20240213_094358.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!