iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ghost-Mizer

Started by Dave Shepard, August 22, 2014, 05:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

There are a few advantages to the wireless. It does save a lot of walking, especially on those 45' logs, but it also allows me to be in the right position to tail the mill. As soon as the band is out of the log, I can shut it off, and grab the slab or board and pull it to the hitch end of the mill. As mentioned before, you can put yourself out of the dust. I think many people don't give dust enough consideration. I know Magicman wears a respirator running his mill all the time. It's a good idea not to breath in dust. I just find a nice spot out the dust path. One consideration of the wireless is that you have to keep one thumb on the forward joystick to keep the head moving. If it had a detent position, then it would be easier to do something while it is cutting, however, the mill cuts so fast, you really don't have much time to do anything anyway.

It would be great to have more wireless owners out there. As I said, I think it is a very under appreciated option. I have heard that WM is working on some changes to the wireless mills in regards to how the hydraulics and Accuset are integrated with the wireless.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SPD748

That's it... I'm going to figure out how to make my old Frick saw without me.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

giant splinter

Good one Lee, Dave I think you answered all the questions and thanks for the photo and video. Command Control seems like a very useful option to me. I am with Magicman .... I hate when my nose gets filled with sawdust, and even with good goggles on my eyes still get the fine dust underneath the Husky eye protectors.
roll with it

kensfarm

That is pretty cool.. what hp is your engine.. that sawdust is really streaming out. 

Nomad

I really like my wireless too!  If you're wearing it, it gets in the way if you're moving logs or boards.  But you can hold it in your hands and just set it down when you need to.  I think it's a great option.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

That is the 51 HP CAT/Perkins. In the last couple of seconds on the last vid you can actually see a little puff of black smoke. Usually only get that on startup.

I swing the remote around to my back when tailing. It's nice to have it on when running the forklift to raise of move the head when placing logs on the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 24, 2014, 11:51:28 AM
It's nice to have it on when running the forklift to raise of move the head when placing logs on the mill.

Thats pretty cool Dave.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

It's also cool to have the remote on when you are away from the mill a little ways and somebody wants to play with the controls. You can slowly inch the head away from them a little at a time, then fire up the blade just as they are reaching for a switch. Gives them a good scare. :D

Nomad

For a long time I've been wanting to make a comedy video with this mill, but haven't found anybody with a good video camera to help out yet.  Sooner or later... :D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on August 24, 2014, 07:11:06 PM
     For a long time I've been wanting to make a comedy video with this mill, but haven't found anybody with a good video camera to help out yet.  Sooner or later... :D

::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

Dave
That's the bees knees .
That's the way to work !
Jim Bruno of nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 24, 2014, 08:08:57 PM
Quote from: nomad on August 24, 2014, 07:11:06 PM

::)

I guess I let the cat out of the bag.  I was figuring to bring POSTON in as the star!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Can anyone comment on which LT-40 Supers can be upgraded to wireless?  Mine is a 2001 front remote.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

The WM website says it's available for new mills only.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

Technically it is for new mills only, but there has been mention of adding it on after the fact. I don't know who it was that mentioned, maybe Martyt Parsons? I would think only the walk along would be a candidate for the upgrade, you would have to replace too much stuff on a Command Control mill. It would make more sense to just swap for a new mill.

Thank You Sponsors!