iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which bar oil (cans are 5 L) would you buy?

Started by Fulcrum156, December 19, 2021, 07:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodiakmac

Well, I'm not sure what you are asking, Fulcrum156.  

But I don't buy the Stihl or Husky bar oils because I can't justify the price.  This oil price converts to $23.75 CDN ($18.40 USD).  Works out to $4.75 CDN ($3.68 USD) per L.  

I buy 4 L of bar oil at my local BMR hardware store for $8.98.  That's $2.25 CDN per L.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

nativewolf

Whatever is cheap, I'd like to see a scientific study of bar oils.  Like what Consumer Reports did with NYC taxi cabs and oil changes, they found that after 100k miles (they took engines apart) the cabs getting changed at 3k miles vs 15k miles had no difference.  That's about as hard a workout as a car gets.  The point there was that people could save a lot of money by reducing the frequency of oil changes.  Farmer client of ours changes his trucks at 20k miles (toyotas) and they are 300k plus miles on the oldest of them.  

Guess my point is that I am curious as to what, if any, difference bar chain oil makes to the cutting ability of a saw.  I'd like to see something like 4 hours of continuous cutting.  Maybe consumer reports would spring for that study?
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

I used to go in with another company to but a pallet @ $8.00 gal when our saw shop had a sale going. I don't use much anymore so I've been buying sunflower or canola. It's environmentally friendly and cheap. :christmas:. 
Ed K

Corley5

Cheapest stuff I can find.  I was using Tractor Supply tractor fluid at the end of my logging career because it was cheaper than bar and chain oil. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DaleK

Bought 10 cases of Poulan at an auction for $2/jug, it'll do me for a while
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

thecfarm

I was buying Poulan Bar and chain oil at walmart years ago. It was about $2 cheaper a gallon. Every time I drove by a walmart I would go in and buy 4 gallons. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

I called the other day and asked when I was pricing 30.5 chains, it's 7.50 a gal or 6.75 if you take a pallet which is 144 gal, mix and match.  I normally use 1.5 pallets a yr. I won't buy the super expensive stuff, where ever you can get a deal on decent oil. 

Stephen1

Quote from: nativewolf on December 19, 2021, 08:47:16 AM
Whatever is cheap, I'd like to see a scientific study of bar oils.  Like what Consumer Reports did with NYC taxi cabs and oil changes, they found that after 100k miles (they took engines apart) the cabs getting changed at 3k miles vs 15k miles had no difference.  That's about as hard a workout as a car gets.  The point there was that people could save a lot of money by reducing the frequency of oil changes.  Farmer client of ours changes his trucks at 20k miles (toyotas) and they are 300k plus miles on the oldest of them.  

Guess my point is that I am curious as to what, if any, difference bar chain oil makes to the cutting ability of a saw.  I'd like to see something like 4 hours of continuous cutting.  Maybe consumer reports would spring for that study?
I use the most inexpensive oil for bar oil. I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 ltr and I change the oil once a year with synthetic. 15,000 miles giver or take.  I have 295,000 miles on it now. I have the truck road safetied every year. Changing oil is a scam put on to us by Car Manufactures that own the oil companies, or visa versa.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tacks Y

There is a difference. I would buy a 5 gal pail local and the last time (before they closed) I was not happy. It would fling off easy. It took it back and they added more additive. Put a couple drops between your fingers and spread them, see if it holds together. After they added more to it was noticeable. So bound to stay on the chain better.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

Quote from: beenthere on December 19, 2021, 09:35:28 PM
What is meant by "safetied" for a truck ??
Saftied is a certificate signed by a licensed mechanic that went over all the important parts that keep a vehicle driving safely down the road. Brakes, tires, steering, ball joints,  Almost like new let's say. Because my truck and trailer are over 10,000 lbs when loaded , I have to have a safety done on them each year, in the spring before my work season starts.  They issue a yellow sticker posted in the window of the truck and on the trailer, easily visible for our DOT or police to see. It expires after 1 year. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!