iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas present for wife

Started by azmtnman, December 25, 2015, 02:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

I made this coffee table for my loving, supportive, hard-working wife for Christmas. This is my 1st piece of real furniture. The top is a 4" thick x 22"x44" slab of Doug fir and the legs are 6x6 Utah juniper. I'm guessing it weighs about 75 or 80 lbs.! We will pick out a stain/finish and do that this week.
The "pegs" on the legs are just covers for the 5/16 x 6" GRK RSS screws. I am a huge fan of these screws and use them on anything I build heavy duty. I highly recommend them.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

samandothers

That is heavy duty and very cool!

Bruno of NH

Nice work .
The GRK screws are great been building with them for years . They have a lot of holding power and come in lots of sizes .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

That is an awesome piece of work!  Beautiful
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

mesquite buckeye

That ought to hold up a cup of coffee ok. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 25, 2015, 11:33:48 PM
That ought to hold up a cup of coffee ok. :)

Or a small truck  :D

One nice thing about being able to mill you own wood is that you can overbuild things if you want to. Sure a 2x2 will hold up a table, but not as well as a 6x6  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

nmericle53

A beautiful addition to any room. One lucky wife.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

Darrel

QuoteThe "pegs" on the legs are just covers for the 5/16 x 6" GRK RSS screws. I am a huge fan of these screws and use them on anything I build heavy duty. I highly recommend them.

How do these screws differ from lag bolts?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Quote from: Darrel on December 26, 2015, 12:00:18 PM
QuoteThe "pegs" on the legs are just covers for the 5/16 x 6" GRK RSS screws. I am a huge fan of these screws and use them on anything I build heavy duty. I highly recommend them.

10 times stronger and a whole lot smaller dia.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

azmtnman

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 26, 2015, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: Darrel on December 26, 2015, 12:00:18 PM

10 times stronger and a whole lot smaller dia.
Also don't need to be pre-drilled. I did predrill this but it's because the screws are 6" long and I wanted to make sure I got them straight. I have never had a splitting issue using these even without pre-drilling.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

sawguy21

That is a nice table, simple and sturdy. I like that. Those screws are interesting, I always strip a few when trying to drive long ones with the Phillips head. The square Robertson are better but not fool proof..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

azmtnman

The RSS (at least in 5/16) has a different head on it. It still uses a T-30 Torx.

Thank You Sponsors!