iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska

Started by uplander, May 05, 2021, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Quote Fly in fly out lodges with guides carrying 12 ga pump shotguns. Bugs can be bad.

Shotgun bad?  That is really bad. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

uplander

Well Mrs Uplander and I have made it to Alaska. We are at Tok.
The drive up was manageable if a bit long.
This is as all stated a beautiful place.

Getting a shotgun into and out of Canada was no big deal.

More later.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

sawguy21

Properly documented hunting rifles and shotguns are fine, just don't try it with yer Glock or an AK-47. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

uplander

Neither border station even asked to see it. It was totally low key.
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Magicman

Much different than my experience in 1997.  I had to go back to the US to a gun dealer and mail my shotgun to a gun dealer here at home.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

we did a tour in Alaska.  coming back through BC, my wife is a runner and had mace.  they asked if it was for bears or scary people.  may wife said both.  they made her throw it in the trash.  guess you do not have scary people in Canada.  If she had said bears, she could have kept it.  glad I did not get raped on the way home from there.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Well, yeah! I'm glad too.
Cause otherwise some biologist like me, would have to have remedial training sessions with the bear, about abusing tourists!

"glad I did not get raped on the way home from there."
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

Ah Doc, this reminds me of a joke but I best keep it to myself😂
Too many irons in the fire

K-Guy

Before I moved to Maine, I was living at Mile 48 on the Alaska Highway, Ft. St. John and I always said I was going to drive it but moved to Maine before I could. My wife wants to take an Alaska cruise when we retire and I told her we have to make 2 trips, one a cruise and one with a RV driving the highway. I've never heard anyone say it was a bad trip.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GAB

The wife and I did top of the world highway towing a travel trailer.
I'll never do that again.  Once was once too many for my taste.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

uplander

Quote from: Magicman on July 18, 2022, 06:18:49 PM
Much different than my experience in 1997.  I had to go back to the US to a gun dealer and mail my shotgun to a gun dealer here at home.
Do you know, you could have mailed that to yourself at a friend or relatives house. US law allows that.
The link you posted early in this thread concerning importation laws into
Canada has people jumping through all kinds of hoops to do it.
Letters from local law enforcement of good character, etc.
I found a simple form online at Canadian customs. Filled it out. When asked if I had a firearm said yes and went inside and paid a 25$ fee.
It was easy.

doc henderson

so you have to pay a bribe?  like in Mexico?   :D :D :D.  Just kidding.  yes talking with a customs agent and being on the border, I inquired of all the agents were from Canada, or did some live in US and cross over to work.  he got all offended, and postured almost as if to reach for a gun, and told me "Agents do not give out their home address to strangers".  ... OK....  please just let me go home! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Quote from: uplander on July 19, 2022, 10:05:33 AMDo you know, you could have mailed that to yourself at a friend or relatives house.
In 1997 it had to go from one FFL dealer to another FFL dealer.  At least that is what I was told and what I did.  I wasn't arguing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

uplander

Quote from: Magicman on July 19, 2022, 05:27:20 PM
Quote from: uplander on July 19, 2022, 10:05:33 AMDo you know, you could have mailed that to yourself at a friend or relatives house.
In 1997 it had to go from one FFL dealer to another FFL dealer.  At least that is what I was told and what I did.  I wasn't arguing.
I understand and did mean at all to insult or admonish you. Our U.S. and State firearm laws are arcane and often hard to understand and interpret.

I have seen an american get caught at the mexican border with a firearm
And it turned into a 3 month ordeal for him with lots of cash for his release.

uplander

Currently we are at Cantwell Ak. Tomorrow we will journey towards
Denali national park for some days in hope of getting a look at the peak
But it is rare to be able to see because of clouds.

barbender

Doc, when my wife and I were on our honeymoon we crossed into British Columbia from northwest Montana. We were staying at a B and B in Montana, the host lady had told us a horror story from when she tried to share a bit of humor with the Canadian border agents. Now mind you, she lived 7 miles from the border and crossed frequently into Canada just to go shopping. So she tried joking around with these border guards, when they asked if she intended to leave anything in Canada, she said, "ah just Bob here" pointing to her husband like she didn't want to bring him home. Well they pulled her off to the side and did an enhanced search of her vehicle, where they tear out seats and interior panels and all of that kind of fun stuff! So she was very adamant, "keep it all business!!"

Well, we get to the border (I've never crossed the border before) well our host's story had me all nervous. I pulled to far forward at the gate, and the guard gave me a stern rebuke, I was all "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir!". They let us through, we wnt and saw some sights for the day. We come back to the American crossing, and when I pulled up to the window the guard looked really stern. He said, "you have Minnesota plates." "Yes sir." "Does that mean you are a Vikings fan?" "No sir" "That's good, because I'm a Green Bay Packers fan and I don't want any trouble out of you!"😂 Well this guy was a real jokester obviously, and we chatted a bit about where we were from and stuff. Then suddenly he switched gears, back to business, "are you bringing any illegal substances back from Canada today?" "No ma'am" I blurted out, and I didn't mean to either! He says, "Ma'am? Ma'am?! Get out of here!" My wife was laughing so hard she was crying😊 
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Barbender, I would normally say that you need some training, but you get off light because it is even harder to tell the boys from the girls today than it was back then :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

Like everywhere it depends on the person. I have dealt with both friendly and cold border staff on the Canadian and US side.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

doc henderson

Yes, only they are allowed to joke and be personable.

uplander

Currently in Willow Ak. We got very lucky getting to see Denali for two days in uncloudy skies. It really was incredible.

We have visited a couple gold mines in high altitude environments and I
Am really impressed at how individuals manage to make the most out of 4 months of work until weather shuts them down.

In reply to a comment above, I learned a couple decades ago when I was actively caving in mexico to never joke with a customs agent when crossing. It is unappreciated or out the realm of process. Official business only i guess.

The agent that interviewed us entering Alaska from yukon was very cool and professional.  I think i could of sat around a campfire with him.
Incidentally, he looked exactly like the character Al Swearingin in the series Deadwood.

Hatcher pass and old gold works and historical site was very much worth the visit. Stunning mountain views and history.

A long post so I will just stop now but it has been a very good trip so far.

uplander

I thought I would provide an update to my thread on the Alaska trip. Mrs Uplander and I spent 9 weeks in Canada and Alaska in our F250 and slide in camper. It was the trip of a lifetime. I am already scheming how to go back.
 We drove 9500 miles but it would be at least an additional 1500 more as we took the very expensive ferry ride back to the U.S. from Whittier Ak. 
To Bellingham Wa.

The experiences and scenery we saw were incredible and almost indescribable. Nearly everyday brought about views or encounters that left us in wonder and awe.

We are most fortunate and blessed to have been able to do the trip and I will not forget how lucky we are.

For anyone considering this adventure I would absolutely recommend it.
The good far outweighs any tribulation we encountered.

tule peak timber

I would love to hear more details about the ferry ride from Whittier back to Bellingham. Did you need to switch ferrys along the way? Did you stay in a cabin on board? I want to go from Bellingham to Kodiak next year and your comments would be most appreciated.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

If you ever go to Alaska, you never come all of the way back home.

tule peak timber

Man,,,,,I'm laying the groundwork...... 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

uplander

Quote from: tule peak timber on September 18, 2022, 11:51:45 AM
I would love to hear more details about the ferry ride from Whittier back to Bellingham. Did you need to switch ferrys along the way? Did you stay in a cabin on board? I want to go from Bellingham to Kodiak next year and your comments would be most appreciated.
We took the ferry from Whittier to Bellingham. It took just a bit less than 5 days to go 1400 miles. Passengers get to see views of Alaska and British Columbia not seen any other way. The ferry follows a near shore route the whole way. Just off the top of my head we stopped at Yakutat, Juneau, Ketchikan and a couple other places.
We went "standby" which means we did not have locked in reserved passage. We could have lost our spot on the ship at any port if there was not room for our rig to get back on. Do not go standby, we got away with it but it is asking for trouble.
To go to Kodiak, you would have to Homer first and then to Kodiak.
There is a website with prices, schedule, dates etc.
Search for "Alaska Maritime Highway" there are also youtube videos
About using the ferry that are good and useful to watch.
Our ferry trip wasn't cheap at 4800.00$ for camper, stateroom, dog etc.
But it was our big retirement trip. We do not regret the money spent.
Send me mail for more indepth discussion if you want.

Thank You Sponsors!