The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ups and downs with a boat.  (Read 3207 times)

Online firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Ups and downs with a boat.
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2021, 10:12:39 PM »
True.  There are a lot of lakes.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2022, 10:57:00 PM »
Things happen but maintenance is paramount.  

This quote resonates with me, especially with a boat.  Stuff happens.  I have neglected my boat for over a year (we have had other irons in the fire).  Two weekends ago, after a day of sawing, I convinced JMoore to help me get it out of my shop.  It has been parked there without moving since John and his family used it LAST July.  To my surprise, it fired up and ran great and started on both batteries.  Evidently, I had the battery maintainer only charging one and left the battery switch left to both when I turned it off.  We did not have time to take it to a lake and run it.  Fast forward two weekends (I was gone 11 of 14 of those days with work) and it was Pop's birthday and time for my wife and me to leave on our 30th anniversary trip.  

On Saturday, my Dad's birthday, my wife took a Covid test at the Doc in a Box and it was positive.  We stayed away from my folks and were debating whether to go to Anna Maria Island for a few days or stay home.  Well, Sunday afternoon we decided to go.  I moved a recently acquired table saw, a JD Gator and a mower and we were able to extract the boat from the shop.  After an uneventful drive to the island, other than my trucks clutch started slipping when ascending overpasses at 70 mph.  I just eased off of the throttle and babied it.  After arriving at AMI, we unloaded our groceries and clothes at the house, and I decided to start the boat engine on the hose rather than being "that guy" at the ramp whose boat won't start.  To my surprise, the engine just clicked when I hit the key.  Drop the trailer in the yard and head to Cortez Walmart to buy a battery.  I installed the new battery and it started right up.  

We headed to the ramp, five minutes or so away and all was well.  My wife remembered how to get through my truck's shift pattern and managed not to take out any stop signs or pedestrians on the way back to the house.  I turned on both the stand alone GPS (old Garmin 3210) and the newer Garmin combo machine and checked both livewell pumps.  Only one livewell pump turned on and the stand alone GPS would not locate any satellites.  The motor ran well and it was good to be on the water again after such a long time.  I could not detect any problems with the wiring on the GPS or the switch for the offending pump.  The console access hatch is completely inadequate for a normal sized adult human.

I brought new trailer bunk brackets to install that I had purchased a year or so ago.  My wife was not feeling incredibly well, and I was starting to suspect I was coming down with C-19 for the second time in 2022 so I decided to drink a few foamy waters and replace the trailer bunk mounts.  It went pretty well but they were not direct replacements of what I had so new holes had to be drilled in the bunks.

We did not fish at all (We celebrated our Covid anniversary sipping Nyquil for a few days) but did take the boat out on a few short rides in Tampa Bay and Gulf.  I would not have ventured too far with the boat not being in top shape.  We headed home late Wednesday evening; again, babying the clutch for 80 miles.  Yesterday, I wedged myself into the console and discovered a GPS antennae wire that had broken at the heat shrink connection.  It was soldered, heat shrunk and the GPS functions properly now.  A new pump has been ordered.  Both of the offending batteries have been charged and seem to be holding.  A clutch kit and fuel bowl O-ring replacement kit for the truck's engine has been ordered (diesel dripping on a clutch disc will ruin even expensive Southbend clutches).  

All in all, it was not a bad week.  On a side note, my son in law went out 100 miles in the Gulf today and they caught some good grouper and red snapper.

I still need to order new aluminum crossmembers for the trailer. 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2022, 12:02:21 AM »
Thats a fact, we also just came back from a great trip to the gulf.  We had the boat out last Fall and we did a basic overhaul and PM just before the trip.  Saltwater boats are nothing like freshwater boats, because saltwater and electricity is like battery acid to both boat trailers and boats.  

So we started going through it and we replaced and fixed: 4 fuel filters, 2 oil filters, 3 gallons of oil, lower unit lube drain and replace, replaced 8 spark plugs with anti sieve, replaced 8 high pressure fuel injectors, replaced a raw water wash down switch and breaker, did two water pump rebuilds, replaced the radio, fixed the head (toilet) pump, replaced secondary bilge pump, found a broken wire, fixed a spray nozzle, replaced a bow light, and put new flares and fire extinguisher in the boat. Then we went on vacation and we were tired before we started.  

Everything was working when we put it away last fall. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  So dont burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Online firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2022, 09:50:29 AM »
Yeah, we gotta take the bad with the good, don't we.  Since I made the original post, our boat has gone on 2 trips to Canada.  Mom and dad took it in May and had trouble and weren't able to really use it.  Brought it home and into the shop to have 2 injectors need to be cleaned.  I took it back to Canada the following week and it was not running well again.  Luckily I took new injectors with me and ended up putting them in.  Took it back out on the water and it still had a problem.  The boat would not get up to speed and the RPM gauge was maxed out.  Brought it back to the dock and talked it over with the guy who owns the lodge and he suggested that the only way the RPMs would get that high was if the prop was slipping.  It had a brand new prop on it.  I took the old/spare prop out of the compartment and installed it on the boat.  Boat ran great.  Turned out that the brand new prop had a bad rubber bushing and was slipping.  Boat worked great for the rest of my trip.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2022, 05:50:03 PM »
Man y'all should just get rid of those boats and get some farm equipment instead.  About the same frequency of issues and at least you get to write off all of those expensive parts.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
We have been "downsizing" from the farm to a smaller property and now I may downsize my boats. I have a 24' Key West and a 15' skiff and I'm thinking about crossing the ocean off my destinations and get a Boston Whaler 170 Montauk to replace both current boats. That would be crabbing in very protected water and fishing in bays. Something to think about.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2022, 04:55:23 PM »
A boat is among the machines you can put away in good order, only to find it broke sitting in storage. 
LT 35 (Sold) Future Owner Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline rusticretreater

• I finally have enough wood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »
I once heard an old man say the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2022, 05:29:39 PM »
There is no doubt that a boat, especially a saltwater boat, is high load.  However, some of the most memorable sights and experiences in my life were from a boat.  

Seeing a momma porpose with a baby so small she was having to hold it up on her pec fin so that it could breath, and she kept near the boat, maybe 10 feet away.  

Seeing a huge mako shark from about 2 feet away, it looking up at me as I was leaning over the gunnel, exactly like the classic scene from Jaws, with an eye so big it looked like a baseball.

One of my favorites is taking a person out on the ocean whose never been out of sight of land, and watching their face as the horizon disappears.

Or the bobcat that was swimming across the lake in the morning fog while I was fishing, and he decided my bass boat was a great place to take a breather.

Or the numerous people I have literally rescued, pulled from the water, with the thought that if I hadn't been there, they may have died.

YellowHammerisms:

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  So dont burn the cookies.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2022, 07:32:08 PM »
No good for off-shore fishing; but a nice Kayak requires no fuel, insurance, and very little upkeep and will get you to where most of the fish are and where the jet skis are not.

8)

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2022, 09:31:57 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I love my boats.  

We use one of ours almost weekly during spring, summer and fall and Im apt to be fishing any month of the year.  

The return in investment is what Yellowhammer is explaining, a boat is a tool to access uncommon experiences.

It is a waste to own a boat and let it sit.  

To borrow from Yellowhammer- If you have a boat and dont use it you ARE suffering and dont know it. 
LT 35 (Sold) Future Owner Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2022, 09:50:28 PM »
 :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2022, 10:56:17 PM »
No good for off-shore fishing; but a nice Kayak requires no fuel, insurance, and very little upkeep and will get you to where most of the fish are and where the jet skis are not.

8)
Locally guys use them for open water, but close-ish to land of course. Get more use days if you are in more sheltered area of course.  The fancy kitted ones have a fish finder / ice chest etc. Depending where you are there can be plenty of fish in the surf zone or around a river mouth, maybe only 100 yards from shore. 
Personally I prefer the option of occasionally paying a local charter skipper $100-200 for a fishing trip.  All the gear supplied, local knowledge and usually some good fishing stories to fill in the slack time. If you are only going out a few times a year I figure you are WAY ahead on $$. 
We are in the Cook Islands right now, and here on the main Island the fishing is basically outside the reef, the lagoon has a few fish, but generally smaller types. Lil did a day trip to Aitutaki (one of the outer Islands), which has a huge lagoon and a small population. The tour boats stops at one of the small Islands, and a guide wanders down the beach and throws in a line. 10 mins and he's got enough fish to feed the tour group. Lunch was grilled fish sandwiches, and they only bought the bread with them. Local knowledge, they knew they would get some fish.
Even here on the main Island the kids can get 12-18" goatfish in knee deep with a crust of bread. So in a "Survivor" episode, I'd want to win the fishing kit, and it would be hard NOT to catch something.
Big Peacock Grouper I saw in the lagoon yesterday.  Hard to judge sizes underwater, but these grow to 2ft long, and I'd say he was an adult sized specimen. This is in about 4ft of water out in front our rental house. 

When I get home I'll post a video of Giant Trevally in the harbour. Where the charter boats tie up, the clean the clients catch on the dock, and throw the scraps over the side. The GTs have learnt this, and about 20 of them gather, If you haven't seen a GT up close, they are impressive. Up to 5ft long and 170lb, and there is a school of them just circling in front of the dock. Offcuts barely hit the water before there was a splash and they were gone. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline K-Guy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2022, 08:50:48 AM »

My son and I went fishing last Sunday and when I got to the boar ramp I did something I expected to happen but didn't want 3. We got ready and I put the boat in,  parked the truck and got on to head out. I then remembered that I left the new rod holder in the truck. So back to the dock, run up and get it, that's when my son asked if this was normal.  I look where he's pointing at the back of the boat,  I forgot to  put the drain plug in and we're taking on water. Ooops, pull out the boat, drain it, put the plug in and we had a good day from there. Southside we were at Wyman lake and got skunked but it's always a good day fishing with my buddy.  😃 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2022, 07:41:00 AM »
Not just the MC of wood that matters  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2022, 08:04:18 AM »
Good call, Stan.  They float better and longer with the plug installed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2022, 06:19:11 PM »
I've always had a boat of one sort or another and always loved them. The one I have now is a lot smaller and once I get situated up north, I will remedy that situation. This is an old pic of good times.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2022, 09:00:55 PM »
These are a few photos of my Wellcraft that I had for 21 years and one of my new boat.  

The Wellcraft was beginning to need a lot of attention to keep her going.  She provided many many good times on the water both fresh water and salt.

The new boat is different but is tons of fun too.

Offline K-Guy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »

For those of you who like trolling and want to get your hook down deep without a downrigger I found an app for android and apple that will calculate how much line to let out for your speed, weight, hook etc. It's called the Troll Master Depth Calculator. They have limited free version and a pay version. Good Luck!!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »
A poor mans down rigger is a way to get baits deep when trolling without dealing with the heavy weights and you dont have to have the down riggers.

Ive started running a big planer on my down riggers instead of the weight.  

A Google search will get a dozen or more sources for a poor mans down rigger.  YouTube, of course, has videos on how to use it.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ups and downs of milling down under

Started by sigidi on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 06:13:02 AM
by Meadows Miller
xx
Sound timber from blow downs?

Started by danf26 on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 04:12:33 AM
by two tired