iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cellular trailcams

Started by Jeff, August 14, 2022, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I switched from verison phone to att and now have about 2 bars of coverage here in the cabin woods. Is that enough to use a cellular trailcam? If so, any suggestions on a camera?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

That should be enough. Are you getting the LTE designation next to the bars or just 3G? Either should be be fine but if it it says LTE, you're definitely good to go. 

A friend has had good luck with Spypoint cameras and now has quite a few. Cameras work well and the have some reasonably priced plans, especially if you can keep the picture count down below a certain number. There can be a single camera with the cell connection snd additional cameras can link to the main camera. Seems to work well. I'm planning to get some based on his reports. 
HM126

btulloh

HM126

Old saw fixer

I'm looking into this, the nephews have enough cams to take care of the four legged beasts, I want to monitor the traffic on the ½ mile driveway, especially past the point where my driveway enters the main one.  I have equipment down at the old farm at the end. 
I need to check on the range of these cellular cams.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

btulloh

If your cell phone works at the location, a trail cam will work also.  If checking with your phone, it needs to be the same provider as the camera. Seems like most trail cams offer a choice of Version or at&t.
HM126

jb616

Quote from: btulloh on August 16, 2022, 10:48:30 AM
If your cell phone works at the location, a trail cam will work also.  If checking with your phone, it needs to be the same provider as the camera. Seems like most trail cams offer a choice of Version or at&t.
my son and I have multiple cell cameras, some are ATT and some are Verizon. It doesn't matter what the camera is as long as that provider has coverage in that area. It sounds like Jeff would want Att cameras regardless of his phone provider.

btulloh

Thanks for clarifying that. My post left room for some confusion. 

Checking out the data plans for the Reveal cams, all the plans say "HD pictures and videos NOT included" but I couldn't find anything about the additional cost on the website. It would be nice to know how much it costs to get the HD and video transferred. These addons could turn reasonably priced plan into an expensive situation. 
HM126

jb616

My son has the account but i believe they just send basic pictures, no HD or videos to your phone. You would have to physically retrieve the SD card to get the HD pics and video. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: btulloh on August 16, 2022, 11:20:52 AM
Thanks for clarifying that. My post left room for some confusion.

Checking out the data plans for the Reveal cams, all the plans say "HD pictures and videos NOT included" but I couldn't find anything about the additional cost on the website. It would be nice to know how much it costs to get the HD and video transferred. These addons could turn reasonably priced plan into an expensive situation.
They are all going to be that way for high resolution pictures. These are my buddy's pictures from the Reveal cams. He's run these cameras for the last couple years,  is absolutely happy with them and plan is fairly cheap. He also has the previously models

terry f

Btulloh, it's $5 for 50 HD video's, you use whichever carrier has the best service in your area, regardless of your phone carrier

bigblockyeti

I'm new but cellular trail cams are on my list of things to get.  I'm hoping to cut more and that's more feasible if I haul my mill to my property 20 minutes away.  I'm worried (a little, not a lot) about theft so I would like to monitor the drive way and part of our private road.  A camera for the four legged critters would be handy to as some of them might need an invitation into my freezer.

stavebuyer

I am really pleased with my Spartan cameras for off grid security.

Jeff

I ordered a reveal sk solar this morning. 8)

beenthere

Look forward to how that works.. is it cellular? and how does the solar panel work? separate part that plugs in? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

btulloh

Cool.  Looking forward to a full hands-on report. 
HM126

Jeff

If @Furby  would make a post, he could tell you first hand. He was here for a couple hours saturday and had his. Hey everyone, please tag Furby and try to get him to come out of his monkdom and at least post and review the camera he influenced me to get!!

He was returning from Yellowstown, where he would deploy his while camping.

terry f

Jeff, what ever you do, make sure you get a class 10 U3 card, 16 or 32 GB, it will save you a ton of trouble. Get two if you plan on pulling one, but it has a process where it will just write over the old card if you want 

Jeff

Thanks Terry, I ordeded one of their cards with the camera. A bit pricey for an sd card, but I know some of my older cheap cameras are even picky.

terry f

Jeff, good move, the Reveal user groups I'm on, that is the number one problem, I don't know what they charge but it's worth the peace of mind. All your settings will be on the app, I would suggest pics and videos, it will send you the second pic, and then if you request video, it will send it to your phone. The weakest point for me was the antenna, a elk broke it off, and as you know, bears are tough on them😊

Walnut Beast

Don't know what model you ordered. But they just came out with a pro model a few weeks back and it has the digital screen to make setup easier and positioning 

Jeff

Tactacam Reveal SK Cellular Trail Camera

Walnut Beast

I'm sure you will be happy with it. That friend of mine of the pictures I posted are from the Tac cameras that first came out

Jeff

First pic sent to me by the camera.
That lickin stick was put up less than 24hrs before where there had never been onen

Walnut Beast

Cool!! Bet your liking the camera

Thank You Sponsors!