iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fall turkey rafter

Started by beenthere, December 03, 2022, 12:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Trail cam pics show a good size flock (rafter) of wild hen turkeys scavenging for food. 

Flock of turkey hens

Might be close to 50 birds in that rafter. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Neat vid. It is hard to get an accurate count of moving turkeys.

I had never heard the term "Rafter" for a flock of turkeys.

I don't know where my hens are hanging out. I have a 5 bird bachelor group and saw a pair of them yesterday. Yesterday they must have merged as 7 came out to my feeder and the lead gobbler had a beard at least 10+ inches long.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

Great flock! Have found your food source.
~Ron

Walnut Beast

barbender

I'd not heard rafter used for turkeys before either. Is that specifically for a flock of hens, or just a flock of turkeys in general?
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

barbender
Not sure on that.

Trail cam memory card picked up today, and shows some unusual behavior (to me at least) of turkeys either dancing or showing off for the ladies. May be deciding who is dominant king pin when the get to spring time fun.

No editing to this video, but just as recorded on the Browning trail cam with sound.

https://rumble.com/v25kz76-turkey-jostling.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

That is a Fascinating piece of video. I have never seen such behavior and I have gotten to sit and watch them quite a bit. What I did notice, and I might be wrong is that it looked like jakes squaring off with hens, not jakes on jakes. Look at the second pair about 1/3 into the video in the near part of the frame. Anyway, that's a fascinating video and I will ponder that for quite a while.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I have watched those shoving matches many times in the Fall while deer hunting.  Sometime it will be jakes such as those probably establishing their pecking order and at other times, full grown and bearded toms.  It can go on until you are tired of watching and ready for them to leave.  They will make a strange crackling sound.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Picked up the memory card from a different trail cam, and caught some "footage" of the same rafter routine. Thought some better visuals so will post it. 

https://rumble.com/v25xkvs-turkeys-fighting-different-trail-cam.html

Not sure that "fighting" is a descriptive term, but they sure hang on tight and get some captive interest or cheering on from the other jakes.

A third trail cam several yards away had two older tom turkeys just hanging out and acting like they could care less about all the ruckus that they could hear going on. 
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!