iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Milling - Possible With Hand Tools?

Started by MT, August 09, 2020, 07:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

I'm interested in getting into milling my own lumber. Is it possible to mill boards with an axe/wedges or frame saw?

btulloh

They used tools like that several hundred years ago.  Not much production or very accurate, but you can do it.  Plenty of exercise for a few bits of lumber. Just depends on what you want to achieve.  

A chainsaw mill is probably the lowest cost method in use now. Still plenty of labor.  

What is your objective for the lumber you will be producing?
HM126

terrifictimbersllc

Sure, but why would you want to?  

Google "2 man pit saw", look at images.

I wouldnt call splitting a log milling though it can also be done.

Free hand chainsawing would be faster than either, if the noise doesnt work for you, can get electric or cordless one. Depends how much work you want to put up with to get a board.

Freehand chainsaw milling is still done in many parts of the world.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

Riving whole logs is ridiculously hard unless theyre very straight grained and free of knots.

You can noodle out useable rough boards with a long bar and some practice, or hand hew logs into framing cants.  Tried that once too.  And did one face with an old one man crosscut also to demonstrate to my boy what death by homesteading looks like.  Any of these is gonna take years off your shoulder sockets.

What are your wood needs and what is your fabrication ability?  Have you got a chainsaw?
Praise The Lord

MT

I don't have a chainsaw. I was wondering how you could get 4/4 boards out of 4-6' cherry or maple logs. I can't find any videos on riving anything more than short logs.

After a board is riven, can it be passed over a jointer or planed down to make a smooth surface?

Ultimately I plan to get into chainsaw milling but wanted to try it this way just once out of sheer curiosity.

btulloh

If you're gonna rive out a few boards, you should follow through by using a scrub plane, then a jack plane, and finish with a smooth plane. Use a plumb line to mark the ends to describe the finished surface. Connect with a straight edge on each side, then plane to the line.  When one face is flat, mark all around with a marking gauge for the finished thickness, then plane to the line on that face. When you're done you'll have a board and strong desire to buy a mill. 

It's not a bad idea to try out the old ways. Makes You a better craftsmen with a better feel for working wood. 
HM126

mike_belben

Quote from: MT on August 09, 2020, 09:56:51 PM
I don't have a chainsaw. I was wondering how you could get 4/4 boards out of 4-6' cherry or maple logs. I can't find any videos on riving anything more than short logs.

After a board is riven, can it be passed over a jointer or planed down to make a smooth surface?

Ultimately I plan to get into chainsaw milling but wanted to try it this way just once out of sheer curiosity.
Screw a 2x or piece of angle iron etc as a guide to the log, run a circular saw as deep as itll go to make a straight slit.  Then either flip and repeat with a chalkline and finish with a handsaw or rive it via the slits.  
I think a froe is what you wanna rive with in that circumstance.. You can steer more than by using wedges.  For split rail i stand the piece up and stand on a trailer to hammer downward with my back straight.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

For boards out of short bolts a regular vertical bandsaw with a fence should work.
Praise The Lord

Don P

I worked on an old barn a few years ago. Mainly log, there were no saw marks on the original stuff. The roof purlins were all rived and quite a quantity but it was all chestnut which does work well with that method. Straight grained red oak would probably be my choice of readily available wood nowadays for trying that.

Jim_Rogers

I think Mr. Chickadee did a video or two on doing that. He's on youtube.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!