iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you straighten out puckered seats?

Started by Faron, January 18, 2009, 07:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Chris an I had a close call on our way to church this morning.  There was a very light cover of snow on the road, but that didn't seem to have anything to do with it.  We were heading into a set of S curves on a tree lined county road.  We were in a cut in the hill, so we had a bank to our right, limiting how far we could get over.  Chris was driving, I was co-piloting.  ;)  I saw a car through the trees barreling through the first curve. I gave her a heads up. "Watch that car!" was about all I got out of my mouth before he rounded the next curve on our side of the road at 50 MPH or better. "He's going to get us!" I calmly ::) said, in my role as co-pilot. :D  Chris whipped the wheel to the right straddling what ditch there was, inches from climbing the vertical bank. There wasn't enough room to avoid him.  Just as I thought  a head on was inevitable, the other car swerved back to his right, and we missed by inches.  And I mean by maybe 6 inches.  We came to a stop, still partly off the road, and the other car slowed at the top of the hill behind us.  We didn't move the car, or get out, just sat there and made him come back and see about us. >:( He was hoping all was fine, and we would just drive off and he wouldn't have to face us.  No such luck.  He was a young guy, and started apologizing profusely as we met behind our car.  "I am sorry, there was no excuse for that.  I was talking on my cell phone....." ::)  I suggested he should throw that DanG cell phone out the window, and reminded him how close we came to a head on. I told him I hoped he would remember that moment every time he got in a car for the rest of his life. We shook hands, and he went on his way. No damage to the car. I am thinking my wife should give up nursing and take up driving for Nascar. :D  She did a masterful job of getting as far out of his way as possible without climbing the bank and turning over.  Chris says the good Lord grabbed both the wheels.   
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

SwampDonkey

Glad your ok.   ;) But, I loved the topic, so I had to come see.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

Glad to hear you're ok.  It seems every time I'm out in my truck, somebody pulls in front of me and pokes along.  About 5 times I've come within inches of hitting people that just pull right out in front of me.  The scariest one was a lady who turned right on red in front of me.  I was about a foot from her driver side door when I came to a stop.  I hate to think what would have happened. :-\

SwampDonkey

In the town where the folks live a lot of people only know straight ahead, never look sideways. Some will stop at the lights as if it's red and some will cross over at an intersection into oncoming traffic. And then you get idiots waving you on when it's their right of way. ::) I find myself having to drive for everyone else on the road. I have almost been creamed a few times.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Thank God everyone is okay and no damage to your vehicle.  As for removing that pucker from the seats, you may have to have them reupholstered.  :D

Tom Sawyer

The pucker is one thing, but how do you remove the stains? ;D

Glad to hear the end was a happy one.

sawmilllawyer

Are the seats pucker? or did you manage to completely pull the cloth off of the seat? Either way glad you are all right. Sounds like the big guy upstairs was looking out for ya. The topic caught my attention as well.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Chuck White

Quote from: Faron on January 18, 2009, 07:59:01 PM
"I am sorry, there was no excuse for that.  I was talking on my cell phone....." ::)  I suggested he should throw that DanG cell phone out the window, and reminded him how close we came to a head on.    

Here in NY, it's against the law to use a cell phone while driving unless it's "hands free"!

But another thing I've noticed is that when we're driving along and meet another vehicle, about ½ of them will move right over onto the centerline of the road as we get close to each other.  This is happens even when we're on a perfectly straight road.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Faron

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.  I hope the young fella understands how serious the situation was, and doesn't ever let that cell phone interfere with his driving again.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

ohsoloco

I've been avoiding this topic b/c I knew I couldn't resist making a smart comment (like the jerky feed rate thread), and then I find out you're actually talking about what I was going to joke about  :-\  :D

Just saw something on the news last night about cell phone use in cars, and talking or texting while driving slows your reaction time by about 35%....DUI is only around 12%  :P

Thank You Sponsors!