iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

turners logos

Started by turningfool, February 14, 2007, 04:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

has anyone on here have any ideas for etching a logo into wooden turnings other than the wood burning method?wood burning often looks sloppy after i get done with it...lol anything hi tech and laser like out there? have given up on branding irons as they do not mark well on curved surfaces obviously

TexasTimbers

If you are thinking of signing our plate, you can get by with just routing deep, deep grooves into the wood and inlaying it with solid gold.  ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

I have seen burning iron's with custom logo's  on them.  You will need a flat face to to get the best image, though.

An engraving tool, or high speed rotary tool may give you the best results.  Some practice will be needed, but shouldn't be to difficult.

This one is really nice, but with the quality work you do, I'm sure you can find other uses for it other than signing your name. ;D

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5912
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Coon

You can buy a wood burning logo system from Lee Valley Tools.  The prices don't seem too bad either.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

turningfool

thanks for the relies..will give lee valley tools a looksee...........kevin..was going to use platinum but if its gold you want..i'll see if i can scrounge some up..1/2 pound should be enough :D

TexasTimbers

Platinum is fine. I don't want to seem picky or anything ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

CHARLIE

I've used a woodburner for many years. There are different brands but I have one called a "Cub Writer".  It has an adjustable heat control and I purchased separately, a writing tip. You don't want the tip too hot or not hot enough and each type of wood burns a little differently.  What I do is write my name on the wood in pencil and then go over that with the woodburner. I've had pretty good luck with it.

Burning in a logo or your name with a laser would be neat but cost prohibitive in my book. Those machines start at about $10,000 for the little one.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

low_48

One way is to buy a small spot sandblasting tool. It has a gravity feed hopper above the gun and a rubber nose to seal against the item. It has a catch sock under that so it is nearly a sealed system. These are designed for hitting a small rust spot or a rusted seam without sandblasting the entire panel on a car. Have a sign shop cut a sheet of logos for you on a thin resist. The resist is self adhesive. Stick on the resist and pull the trigger, A unique custom logo in just a couple of seconds. Initial cost should be less than $50 for the gun and I don't know what the sign shop will charge. It will give you a carved look.

You might like the idea of sandblasting a couple of bowls in the future. I have done that to a couple of ash vessels and am always pleased with the results. Makes the vessel look 200 years old right off the lathe. Sure cuts down on sanding time as well :D

Just a thought. ;)

metalspinner

low_48,

That sounds like a great idea.  I guess these guns are powered by a compressor?  Where are these type of guns found?  You have my head spinning with ideas now!  smiley_dizzy

Burlkraft

Those little blasters work great....I use it ta blast the natural edges on burl bowls. I also use ground up corn cobs with a bigger nozzle ta get the soft blast/polished look... ;)   ;)   ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

low_48

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Well, we can never seem to get away from that corn can we?  ;D ;)

That's just too funny Burlkraft whether it's true or not. You know I'd never question it if it was anybody else. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I gotta get one!  Thanks for the link, low_48.

In the HF catalogue, they had ground walnut shells for blasters.  I guess this is a softer abrasive than sand?

Burlkraft

I use the walnut shell nozzle fer da corn cobs.....Really... ;D ;D ;D

It leaves a nice soft finish...... ;) ;)

But then again...Maybe we could try usin' them Cfarm Gritz fer some blastin'.... :D :D :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 15, 2007, 05:17:30 PM
:D :D :D  You know I'd never question it if it was anybody else. ;D

Why SD.....I'm flattered..... ;D ;D  :D  :D    :D

BigTrev

I tried using a Dremmel drill with a little wood-head. I picked it up for about $25

Worked real well in wood and with the right bits was pretty cool in metal and styrene plastic
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

turningfool

think i'm going to try the sand blasting method..it looks pretty simple...right up my alley :D

Thank You Sponsors!