iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer blades

Started by Sawyerfortyish, April 09, 2005, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

My planer has regular flat blades. I'm looking at a new planer that is available with spiral carbide cutter heads or flat blades. I was just wondering if anyone has tryed these spiral carbide blades? Are they worth the extra$$$$ or should I stay with the old flat blades that can be resharpened ? You can flip the carbides over but when both sides are dull you throw them away and buy new. There advertised to give a smother cut with almost no tearout. I'm not sure what blade to go with.

Cedarman

I changed my 26" head to spiral one.  The knives have 4 edges and I would say I get 20 times or more the wood through before I change knives.  I take 5/16 off junk cedar boards for shavings that we run through a granulator to make a specific sized particle.  When we plane cedar for customers it makes one of the smoothest boards imaginable.  There is almost no tear out at knots.  Much better than straight knives.  I paid $3000 dollars to replace the head.  The only regret I have is that I did not do it sooner.

When rotating knives, make sure you clean the head so that the knives will seat exactly.  I use knives with a little dot in one corner. That way I rotate each knive 90 degrees and know exactly where the dull edge is.

Much quieter running.  I love my helical head. Planer head that is.  :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!