iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with widowmakers needed - ice storm cleanup on isle 9!

Started by Bibbyman, December 13, 2007, 03:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I made some progress today.  This morning I used the Terex to move a box of firewood around in front of the house while the yard was still frozen.  As I returned under the big red oak,  I looked up at the large limb that was barely hanging.  I though I've done stupider things than this and got by with it.  So I eased up under it and shot the boom out and pushed it until it broke off.  It came along quite civil like.

Then I remembered I had about 20' of soft nylon rope.  I tied a cube of wood on one end that was about the size of a grapefruit.   I tossed the chunk of wood over the target limb and pulled.  It almost held.  Then I tried again but this time I let the chunk lower about two feet and then walked around it winding the rope around it.  Then when I pulled,  the slack in the chunk pulled up making enough of a knot to hold. 

I was able to pull down several limbs that were just resting on other limbs using this method.  Unfortunately I was not able to pull this one down because the only place I could get the rope was also over another limb that was attached to another tree.

I also remembered that Dad has an electric limb saw and I borrowed it.  I'll give that a try on the limbs I can get to.  Maybe I can get most of them down.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodsteach

Bibby, I LIKE the "firewood limb removal system" 8)  My luck wham! right in the kisser.

Reddog, the neighbors just might complain,  I am one of the unfortunate ones that still lives in town.  But then again....... they might think the noise is just more branches breaking, which in reality I guess they are ;D

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

limbrat

Woodsteach
I got one about ten yrs ago from Northern and still use it. The site that Kevin brought up looks good too.
ben

Dale Hatfield

I have often wondered how many lumps on the head the person that made the first chain on a rope  got. Never used one always thought they were a joke.  But ifn ya say they work. they must.
dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

woodsteach

Dale, 

why don't you come on down to se nebraska and teach this teacher how to log and take care of trees!!!  It's a wonder more folks (fools ) down here don't get hurt 'cause they all know how to run a chain saw. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

rebocardo

> How do you know which trees will survive and which ones will not make it?

A tree that has its trunk split or broken off, I assume its a goner and cut it down.

Kevin

Depends on what value you place on the tree.
Cables and rods are commonly used today to save damaged trees.

Thank You Sponsors!