iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chevy Truck, Theft Recovery

Started by MartyParsons, May 08, 2011, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Too bad about that truck.  If they fixed it and returned it to me, I'd be trading it in in a hurry. 

You can't get blood from a stone, but you can sink that sucker for a longgggg time.  I had something similar happen.  Took them to court and won a judgment against two young fellas. It was awarded to me both collectively and individually, or in better lawyerly language somehow.  Meaning I could collect from either or both.  Did not collect.  I filed the forms as best I could and waited, then forgot all about it.  6 years later one guy signed up for the military and that judgment popped up.  He called and said I had to remove it, yeah right.  Parents called, recruiter called. I did not waiver or negotiate.   I received a certified check in the mail for the entire amount, and I removed it.  Another 5 years go by and the OTHER guy applies for a job out in Washington state.  The judgment pops up again, and the local sheriff is called.  He was very nice and said he could hold the guy in jail for non-payment, or make him pay if he could.  He paid 1/2 as bond to stay out of jail, and paid the rest off in 6 payments.  Yes, I collected twice on the amount.  I did not feel bad. They got what they deserved and I hope learned a valuable lesson they should have learned long before that. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Patty

Good for you, John! Hopefully those guys learned a good lesson. If you had not pursued it, they would've blown you off and been successful at it. What lesson is that?

I currently have a judgement against a hospital in California due to nonpayment on a bill. It was a royal pain to file, and cost some money, but if/when that hospital ever comes up for sale, I will finally get my money.  8)   

Collections was my job at my company, and I never gave up. I would gather all the information I could about the deadbeat and then go after them like crazy. They never saw it coming most of the time.  ;D  I had no problem creating situations that made them embarrassed or angry enough to finally just pay me so I would go away and leave them alone. I have zero sympathy nor tolerance for folks who do not pay their bills, and I have heard every excuse in the book. I do not care. If you owe me money, I expect to be paid, and be paid on time.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

MartyParsons

Hello, Nathan's truck is back and he seems to be happy with the repair. Thanks to all who helped out with the information.
Marty

I guess the picture did not come through.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Thanks for the update.  I guess that things could have been worse.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

If I was him I would be looking at trading it in ASAP. Unless they basically replaced everything in/on the truck with new parts who knows what can and will go wrong down the road...

shelbycharger400

stated above... pulling the codes..
not all information is available as simple codes
even when i was a chrysler tech from 2000 to 2005, not everything was available to us. Only when  we went to the training center, they had the same pc's as detroit, where you can see everything...from max speed, times airbag deployed , fingerprinting of every scan tool plugged into it, to times odometer reset...ect.  o and note every obd2 ,bit of info you probably dont know... (this came from a gm training center former teacher) 1996 up pcm is satelite trackable for all info... supreme court ruled several years ago that it was unconstitutional to use it against you, but ok for them to use it for training research.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I was thinking this might be real bad in the future of the truck. My son has become friends with the body shop mananger and he said the warranty will be honored by GM. I pretty much let go and let what ever happen, happen. Yes it could of been much worse. My son is healthy and seems to be doing well as a Coastie and a Yopper. Sounds like he may be headed for training later this year and will move to a different location once the traning is completed.
Thanks again for all your comments, thoughts and ideas on this experience. I hope to pay it forward if the FF members need help or advice.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jeff

Marty, he would have to be a Yopper, because you have to be born in da U.P. to be a YOOPER.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MartyParsons

I hate to start on this again. My son called and said the power steering pump is leaking and the transmission is making some strange sounds. It sounds like the truck is headed back to the shop on Monday. I would say he would need to trade it before the 1 year warranty is gone. What is the insurance company going to say if you try to reopen the claim? Or is it all done? I asked him if he signed anything. He said the body shop had him sign something, he thought it was for the body work only. He does have all the papers he signed.
Thanks for the advise.
Marty

Here is a picture of him in action, he has the hat on.
http://www.sooeveningnews.com/features/x919528397/A-close-call-Canadian-boaters-survive-run-in-with-tug-and-barge?photo=0

He said the boat was trying to put the second fuel tank on after the first one ran out. To bad the barge that hit the boat had a full tank of fuel. No one hurt, he said the boat made out pretty well also. Radio was still playing and the bilge pump was running when they arrived.

beenthere

Quote from: MartyParsons on August 12, 2011, 07:11:18 PM
............He said the boat was trying to put the second fuel tank on after the first one ran out. To bad the barge that hit the boat had a full tank of fuel. No one hurt, he said the boat made out pretty well also. Radio was still playing and the bilge pump was running when they arrived.

Not sure I followed that... ::) ::)   .. but as long as the three were able to swim to safety, that is good.

Hope the truck gets fixed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Quote from: MartyParsons on August 12, 2011, 07:11:18 PM
I hate to start on this again. My son called and said the power steering pump is leaking and the transmission is making some strange sounds. It sounds like the truck is headed back to the shop on Monday. I would say he would need to trade it before the 1 year warranty is gone. What is the insurance company going to say if you try to reopen the claim? Or is it all done? I asked him if he signed anything. He said the body shop had him sign something, he thought it was for the body work only. He does have all the papers he signed.
Thanks for the advise.
Marty

Here is a picture of him in action, he has the hat on.
http://www.sooeveningnews.com/features/x919528397/A-close-call-Canadian-boaters-survive-run-in-with-tug-and-barge?photo=0

He said the boat was trying to put the second fuel tank on after the first one ran out. To bad the barge that hit the boat had a full tank of fuel. No one hurt, he said the boat made out pretty well also. Radio was still playing and the bilge pump was running when they arrived.

Chances are they may say that these problems are not caused by the claim damage but they may open a supplement on it. All you can do is try.
Before trading it in do a Diminished Value appraisal and get that money up front then trade it in.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

MartyParsons

What is this? Diminished Value appraisal

Anyone interested in a truck? It is funny but then it is not. The ironic thing is I am driving a theft recovery truck, I do not know the trucks history but I purchased it knowing it was a reconstructed title theft recovery truck. I have no issues with it but have been putting it back together as I get time and $.

Thanks
Marty

Raider Bill

DV is the differance between what the truck was worth had it not been wrecked and what it is worth now that it has. It's a insurance industry secret.

Diminshed Value
The reduction in a vehicle's market value occurring after a vehicle is wrecked and repaired. A reasonable person will not pay the same price for a wrecked, then repaired vehicle, as they will for a vehicle with no prior accident history. Even if the repairs are proper, the vehicle will still lose value. To collect diminished value after a car accident, insurance companies usually ask for a diminished value report. These reports are usually generated after an unbiased third party inspects and appraises the vehicle.

In your Sons case I'd say there are a few thousand dollars on the table in his favor depending on what the repair bill was.

In my opinion, get a DV, collect the $$ and get rid of that truck.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!