iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yard trees, (not what one would think)

Started by drobertson, August 26, 2013, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I just finished last week a red oak for the guy, these are post oaks, had the camera, so I thought I would take a few snaps, Just a warning, be on guard for large limbs, they can tear up the outside lumber when they fall, most was good, just had to work around the splitting out, this is mainly for the new ones getting into the field,

twelve layers, @ 27 bdft a layer, nice lumber for siding, the slabs will be a concern for the new guys, this was what can be expected from two logs, minimal waste to be sure,(with a focus on making production at the same time),

I normally don't pic everything, but with the new guys coming in I thought this might be helpful,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

Drob,

Informative post thanks,  pretty fancy sawing too ;)

DGDrls

hackberry jake

That lumber will have a higher tendency to check/split as well.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

5quarter

DRobertson...Nice sawing. I really like those roller tables in the background of one of your pics.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

giant splinter

DRobertson,
I like your shop layout and work flow setup, very productive layout and nice set up for all weather sawing. I am still in the design phase of a sawmill shed and always looking for ideas on productivity and work flow, your shop is well thought out and the roller tables are portable enough that you can get the lumber out of the way quick and easy where the forklift can access it. I want to take advantage of the wind as far as keeping the suspended sawdust from blowing directly at me and filling my pockets while i am sawing and at the same time keep wind driven snow from frosting my whiskers and freezing my fingers. There may be no simple answer for a perfect sawmill shed layout but it sure helps to see how everyone else is set up to get the work done ...... thanks for sharing
roll with it

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

justallan1

Thanks for the pictures, David.
It's nice to see the layout and pick up ideas from others pictures of what works for others.

Allan

dboyt

Dave, you're about the only one who can take a picture of a post oak cant and make it look good!  Nice to see the photos of your setup.  Looks like that loader is about the right size.  Have you thought about some sort of conveyor or blower system for the sawdust?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Dboyt, have a blower, and three phase to run it, and have ran it, just have not put it on the wall yet, this is one of those would of could of should of's if you know what I mean, It takes around 30 min. to move 1000 feet worth of dust, just about what is laying there now,  this fellow runs a tree service, I have cut a pile for him, this was one of the better PO's I have seen in regards to some of the funkiness  PO has,  His red oak was absolutely a dream, 650ft from one tree, and no metal in either one, and the loader is a 585D case, a good lift for sure, beats my old 580 1952 model ;D a real fuel saver is this diesel,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!