Sponsors:

Woodland HM 126 vs Harbor Freight sawmill

Started by Shaggy, December 10, 2014, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidaster

Thanks, Magicman!
Glad to see more users from my area!

fishfighter

I look at both. The more I looked at the HF, the more spending 1K for a Woodland HM126 would be better spent.

If one looks real close at the HF and compare with the 126, one will see what the big difference is.

Now only if Woodland would push my mill to me that I ordered yesterday.

Oh, those coupons for HF exclude sawmills, I called them.

HaroldSiefke

I bought a hm126 and when I got it it had a band wheel that had the hole to big for bearing. So I called Neil and my band wheel was sent the next day. Try that kind of support with harbor freight. Stick with some one that you can get support from. The people one the side are are friends so we all should stick together. Good luck in your choice ... Hal
Harold

Swatson

I would agree with Harold.  HF has poor customer service and its a failure from the top.  My wife worked there for six months while she was in between management jobs.  She tried to order some replacement pulleys for my lathe and even she couldn't get them.  They have no standard process for getting spare parts.  She was frustrated as she could be trying to take care of folks.  Finally she found a job in her field.     
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

dukecrazy

I realize I'm reviving an old thread from the dead but I'm now in the same situation as shaggy. Instead of making a brand new thread about the same thing I was actually wanting to get with the guys close to me(shaggy and pidaster) and see if I can check out their mills. What say you gentlemen?
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Kingmt

Hi dukecrazy.

I didn't read the whole thread yet since I seen it was old but wanted to say hi & let you know you can PM me any questions. If we were closer if let you cut some boards. The screws in my HF mill have a fancy W on the head I figured might stand for Woodland.

I have a thread with some of the mods I've done on mine & was able to keep the cost down. I've been really happy with it.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

dukecrazy

kingmt,

I appreciate the response sir and were you closer, I would definitely take you up on your offer. As it stands, I'd like to get with one of these local fellas and check out their rig before I purchase. I've been researching and eyeing the cheaper entry level mills for a little while now and am antsy to pull the trigger on one. Although I don't want to spend the extra grand on the woodland it may be a good option. As I sit and look at pictures of the HF and Woodland side by side it really is hard to tell a difference in them. Also, from the videos of each in action it becomes EVEN HARDER to justify the $1000 extra for the woodland as the central machinery rig cuts very well.

Off topic: is there an area with introductions? I looked around but didn't see a specific area to introduce ourselves.

beenthere

duke
QuoteOff topic: is there an area with introductions? I looked around but didn't see a specific area to introduce ourselves.

Go to the General forum on the Home page and start a new thread to introduce "dukecrazy". We'll gladly listen, and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingmt

I own a HF & looking at the pictures other then paint I can't tell them apart. I did replace my track so I could cut a 16'+ log & ended up with 3" more top clearance which 3" made a big difference on those oblong butt logs. Surprising how many more logs almost fit that so now & I get a extra board out of a log sometimes. I'm going to sale my old track as soon as I finish building my new bunks.

dukecrazy

Quote from: Kingmt on November 12, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
I own a HF & looking at the pictures other then paint I can't tell them apart. I did replace my track so I could cut a 16'+ log & ended up with 3" more top clearance which 3" made a big difference on those oblong butt logs. Surprising how many more logs almost fit that so now & I get a extra board out of a log sometimes. I'm going to sale my old track as soon as I finish building my new bunks.

would you mind posting a picture of your upgrade to the track? I'd like to see it bc it may be something I do.

Kingmt

I can't because of the way I do things & the rules on here but when I get a picture taken I'll PM you a link.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bkaimwood

I would spend the extra $ for the woodland, without any hesitation or pondering... Just sayin'...
bk

Kingmt

Quote from: beenthere on November 12, 2015, 06:03:44 PM
But you do enjoy other members' pics... 
Yes I do. I also respect the rules of the forum. 😉

Jeff

Which translates two ways...

1. I can't figure out how to do it

or most likely
2. I totally DO NOT respect the rules for sharing photos here and the rules pertaining to that, so choose not to

Either way, okay by me, but the answer to beenthere is pure bull puckey.

dukecrazy

Quote from: Kingmt on November 12, 2015, 05:13:42 PM
I can't because of the way I do things & the rules on here but when I get a picture taken I'll PM you a link.

That's fine, just PM me. 
I don't get the rules thing I keep seeing, the way I read them the rules didn't come across in a way where you can't post pics of your setup that you modified?  Maybe I just didn't understand them, lol. 

sawmilljoe

I too own the Woodland. There customer service I great. The mill was been doing great in a small scale sawing business for about 8 months now. I saw on weekend and some evenings as this is a new business not even one. The lumber coming off the mill is great if you do 3 things keep a sharp and well set blade on the mill (do not think about just one more log change it ) , lots of tension on the blade (35 ftlbs on the nut with a torque wrench it will be more then you think) and last but not least speed the old saying speed kills with the smaller mills this is so true. Welcome to the group and get sawing any mill is a good mill.

PS the engine on the woodland is a great little engine and there is a lot of you extra cost plus the changes in the dogging and crank systems make it great.

Kingmt

Jeff, I really don't understand how you interrupt it that way. You have rules to your forum. It is your house & I respect that. I never asked you to allow me to do something different or expect you to.

My answer to beenthere at first was just "Yes I do" but I was concerned that short response would be taken wrong. I'm not sure why he asked it to start with since I never said anything negative. I was only responding to a request that I wouldn't be doing.

As far as pictures go. I've explained before. First I don't take many pictures but those that I do are backed up to my cloud & only when I'm connected to WiFi & they take forever because of the speed of my connection. When I'm on cellular data I'm limited to 1.5GB between my wife & I for the month. That isn't very much & is hard to stay under that limit.

Sorry that my choice not to upload pictures to your server offends you. It just isn't efficient for me. I do really enjoy this from & while I don't have much experience I enjoy offering what knowledge I do have. However if you don't want me to I'll remain silent.

dukecrazy

thanks for the advice sawmilljoe, believe it or not, I will definitely remember it!

kingmt, you know better than I that this forum is a great and respectful place so don't take stuff too offensively bc I'm sure it isn't meant in a harmful manner.

Jeff

Kingmt, BS!! on  THREE recent and separate occasions you have brought up that you don't post photos due to our rules. The first time you felt the need to butt in where someone else was having an issue to proclaim this. I'm not offended about your not wanting to share photos. I could care less if I ever see one of your photos. What pisses me off is that if you don't want to share photos under our rules, just don't and shut up about it.

Kingmt

Well I don't BS. I try to be quite respectful about things even when I feel others are not.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Kingmt

I take it you've checked up on me to see if I'm a trouble maker. 😉 I do the same thing with people to get a better feel for who I'm talking to at times. You can also find me at androidarea51.com along with a few other sites.

I wanted to add some info on the bearings. The track rollers use 6004RS. I believe if you pop the seals & add grease you won't have any problems out of them. Time will tell.

I use mostly water to lube the blade so if your using something else you might not see the same problems with them.

btulloh

Quote from: nrp0450 on December 11, 2014, 03:06:33 PM
an order I placed for guide bearings. Their mistake put the mill out of service for 3 weeks. The bearings are supposed to come in tomorrow!

These bearings are easy to find locally or from a domestic source.  The WM service is great, but they have to ship parts from Canada so it makes it a little more involve, expensive and slower.  All of the bearings are pretty common, especially the guide bearings.  I bought 10 the other day for $15, not that I go through that many.  Drive belt also.  Better to get locally or domestic at least just because of the shipping.  (I hope that's OK with Neil.)

When I did need a couple of little things replaced that were not made quite right they got them out right away with no fuss.  Great service.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!