iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln door hinges & latches

Started by D6c, May 22, 2019, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I've got most of my solar kiln put together and am ready to build the doors which will be 7' wide x 6' high.
What have you used for door hinges?  Barn hinges, strap hinge?
I'd like something that's plenty big enough to bolt through the doors and walls rather than just using screws because of the weight.
I was trying to find some type of offset hinge so that I could run a batten to cover the door gap but haven't found anything.

For door latches I was considering taking the latches off the back of a semi trailer and adapting them to the kiln.
They would hold the doors shut at both top and bottom.

YellowHammer

Some heavy duty barn hinges work fine.  Put some weatherstripping between the door and frame and squash it when the door closes and that will also work and is very easy.

I use a couple techniques for securing doors, but the best I've used are the trailer door cam latch kits for semis and enclosed box trailers.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

You can get one of those enclosed trailer door latches from etrailer.com

Cam-Action Lockable Door Latch Kit w/ Narrow Hasp for Small Enclosed Trailers - Zinc-Plated Steel Polar Hardware Enclosed Trailer Parts 383200

You can get the 3/4" black iron pipe from a hardware store. 

Here it is installed on my kiln doors.

Been working great for 5 1/2 years.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

For door hinges I would recommend heavy duty T-hinges and for the latches, a multi-point cam type is best as it will force the door onto the gasket to give a tight seal all around.

These are available from agricultural supply and hardware stores locally or on the web.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Brad_bb

@K-Guy Can you post a link to an example of that?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

K-Guy

@Brad_bb 
This Link has information and on some gives a load weight.
McMaster-Carr
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Brad_bb

@K-Guy Sorry, I meant of the "multi point cam system".
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crusarius

Tractor supply sells nice havy duty half pin hinges. I used those on one of my sheds with some pretty big doors and they worked great.

K-Guy

@Brad_bb 

I don't have any examples of them. The truck latch in the photo is one and I have seen individual cam latches put on doors.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Tom the Sawyer

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

farmfromkansas

Did not someone post pics of building their own hinges from pipe and strap metal?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

btulloh

HM126

kelLOGg

I made my own "hinge" that allows the door to open like that on a bank vault. No particular advantage to it other than I can adjust it for sag. The latches are toggle clamps. The kiln is on the 2nd floor of my barn.
Bob

r>

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

caveman

Last weekend Jmoore and I started siding our box that we will use to sterilize hardwoods.  Thursday afternoon I cobbled up four of these hinges.  I think that they will be adequate since the doors are not too big (roughly 50"x53) and each will get two hinges.  We framed it over by the shop in the shade and moved it over to the surface of the sun by the solar kiln while the tractor would still lift it.  If these hinges work well, I will probably make a more robust set for the kiln after we get rid of the entry panel and make two large doors.

Caveman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

Thanks, Robert.  I may add some deadwood in the shack to mount them to this week while John and his family are vacationing in Colorado.  

Caveman

jimbarry

Just finished adding mine the other day. Bought three kits from etrailer. Ended up only needing one.

Thank You Sponsors!