iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill scale

Started by sawwood, July 07, 2010, 02:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

Finally took some photos of our sawmill scale system. We don't use a ruler as it slow
down our work. We have a Norwood mill and the right front post is just right for our
scale blocks. We have two sets of blocks, one is for 4/4 and the outher is 5/4/ We set
the blade on top of the log and then add the blocks to the post till it all most reches the
the top. this is our starting point. Then we cut a slab at this setting, then after returning
to the start we remove one block and drop down to that block, Over and over we go and
this speeds up our cuttting. No looking at a scale board and trying to git it set to the mark
each time. Here are the photos showing the blocks and how we use them.

Sawwood

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

paul case

sawwood,
does the scale not work well on the norwood or is it the math that slows you down?
i was slow on the start with my ez boardwalk mill. messed up some boards but eventually you get the hang of it. yes sometimes i even have to stop and count when cutting something different, bt after you get started the math is all the same.
i have to say that i would have all my blocks mixed up trying to guage it that way.
different strokes for different folks i guess?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sawwood

Paul ith the math that slows us down. with the blocks we don't have to read or think
about where you are. Just take a block out and cut. We git more lumber the same
thinkness our way.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

scrout

HI Sawwood,

Good one, simple, yet elegant.
Here is one more mod....put them on a hinge of some sort so you can flip them out of the way.
I know what you mean about the math, I cut for the first time in awhile and all my 2x6's were off.  I made a 6/4 scale to put next to my inch scale, but your method would be faster.

Magicman

That appears to be a very innovative way to solve a problem.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!