iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"shooting STRAIT from the hip" any George Strait fans?

Started by jjmk98k, April 22, 2005, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

For years my father, mother and I have been  big George Strait fans, but never went to any of his concerts.... I was thinking if he tours around PA sometime this summer, I would buy tickets for all of us and using it as a early birthday gift for the two of them...

anyone ever go to one of his shows? and if yes, was it worth the cost?
I cant see how it would not be, but then again, i went to a Faith Hill and Tim Mcgraw concert and really didnt care too much for it.... both great singers, i just got real bored when they showed a little movie about themselves, i came for the music, not the "all about me and us" stuff.

by the way Straits new 2 disk set of #1 hits is great! 50 strait hits...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Corley5

Not much of country music fan but George is one I can tolerate. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Teri

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandmar

98k....if you get a chance to see George...GO!!!....go directly to the ticket office..do not pass go or collect $200  ;D We have been to see him live twice and I would not hesitate to go again. If you are expecting a flashy show like Garth Brooks with fireworks and ripping around the stage..stay at home,cause George does what he does best....he comes out in pressed Wranglers,starched shirt,Resistol hat and stands at the mic and sings like only George can.....yep,you can say I am a fan  ;)

Sandmar

jjmk98k

I just want a singer to sing, i do not want a flashy show and a bunch of sillyness, just sing the songs!

thanks sandmar for the words.... Ill be looking for his tickets all summer
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

BW_Williams

Been a fan for a long time.  51 #1s on those CDs now  :).  Bossman, how about that Keith W. and Allison Krause duet. (can't think of the name)
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

etat

If I was going to another concert I sure wouldn't mind going to one of his. 

I've only been to three concerts in my whole life. Once to see Journey cause I got talked into it.  I bought up two whole rows of seats and made out like a bandit! :)  Once to see Reba and once to see ZZTOP.  Reba was my favorite with ZZ running a close second.  Don't remember the Journey concert at all.

The one I absolutely regretted not going to see was George and Tammy a few years back. 

Oh yeah, I once saw Loretta Lynn at the county fair in Tupelo.  Long time ago.  It started sprinkling rain, and she kept singing.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Quote from: BW_Williams on April 22, 2005, 10:23:24 PM
Been a fan for a long time.  51 #1s on those CDs now  :).  Bossman, how about that Keith W. and Allison Krause duet. (can't think of the name)

Not sure of the titel but know the song. You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

BW_Williams

Yea, that's it, good song, but kinda haunting when you think about him being dead for about 10 years before they dubbed Allison's voice over it.  I bet Keith would have a gaggle of hits also, if he was still alive.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Jeff

He had a few even after he was dead. We have a tribute C.D. around here somewhere.

UNCLEBUCK

I seen George Strait twice , a very class act , his live show sounds better than the records . About 40 miles from me is a big 3 day country concert called the "WeFest" which gets about 100,000 peoples stompin their feet in the dirt .Like 25 bucks a day for a ticket . Its was fun to watch the big road busses driving in by the backstage area and hear the crowd scream, 1984,through 1988 I went every year .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Haytrader

I have not been to a G. S concert but would.
Been to see the Oak Ridge boys twice. Would go again.

Been to see Gatlin Brothers, Ray Price, and a couple more. Just can't remember now.

Too bad Keith W. drank too much. He sure left behind  a pretty (and talented) lady in Lori Morgan.
Haytrader

Brad_S.

jjmk98k

One of my longtime favorites is Harry Chapin. He seemed to tour around the area 2 or 3 times a year back in the 70's, but I was either out of cash or had other things to do and always told myself "I'll catch him next trip through." Then one day he was gone, and I regret having never seen him in concert. IMO, if you're a G.S. fan, catch him when you can and don't worry about the $$$.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Teri

Hey CK... Which ZZ Top concert did ya see? A bunch of us went and seen 'em in Little Rock (when I still lived in Arkyland). It was the afterburner tour. It was excellent. 8)  A couple weeks ago on a biker build off show the had zz top on there. Dad said to me " Whats a ZZ Top?" ??? ::) ::)  Needless to say I had to change the channel. :'( 

Haytrader

Teri,

Good to see you are takin up the slack since the Deadheader is absent.

;)
Haytrader

Teri

I'm tryin' my best. :) The only bad thing thing is I usually can't come up with good comments like he can. I do know that is sure is boring around the house with him bein' gone! :D :D

Haytrader

::)

But Teri, just think about how entertaining he is to the Costa Ricans.

:D
Haytrader

Teri

Roxie

Keith Whitely....."I'm No Stranger to the Rain"....... he had an awesome voice. 
I enjoy country music concerts and have been to see Alabama several times, Hank Williams Jr, Randy Travis, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, and Restless Heart.  Montgomery Gentry puts on an awesome concert, they are better in concert than on the recordings. 
My very favorite concert was Dan Seals.
Say when

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Engineer

I'm a huge country fan, but not had the chance to see George in concert yet.    I used to listen to some strange stuff in college, went to a lot of concerts by bands like Rush, Def Leppard, Blues Traveler, etc.   Got to see Billy Joel on his farewell tour.   Now I listen to mostly country music, I've seen probably fifteen concerts in the past five years - Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, Tim McGraw, Lonestar, Reba, Brooks & Dunn, among others.    I also am a huge fan of Tower of Power, a soul band out of Oakland, CA.

Roxie, Dan Seals has a (son? nephew?) by the name of Brady Seals who is fronting a new group called Hot Apple Pie.  Really awesome sound, they are truly a bunch of musicians and not singers with a studio band.

My wife and I have seen George's movie "Pure Country" probably 20 times.   We HAVE to get to see him in concert before he decides to retire.   At least he's not a pathetic schmuck like Gar** Broo** who thought too highly of himself to continue making music.

old3dogg

Never miss a chance to see your favorite artist live.Its well worth it and something you will remember.
Not much of a country fan.Some songs are ok.Closest I ever got to seeing a country concert was John Mellencamp.He puts on one heck of a show.Best concert Ive ever seen.
Saw Rush 4 times.Great live band!!Those old dudes can still rock!
Saw Def leppard once.sucked!
Went to an Ozz Feast ::)Really bad mistake!!
Saw Dream Theater 2 times.WOW!!! talk about talent!!!These guys are great!
Went to see Kiss on one of thier farewell tours.If you like smoke and fire it was ok I guess.They had Ted Nuggent open for them.That dude is a lot of fun.He gets you excited to be there and really rocks!
Saw the Who.Really LOUD!Saw AC/DC.To drunk to remember. ???Saw Loverboy ::)[It was free and I was on a date so shut up!]
The guy I really wanted to see live was Stevie Ray Vaungh.He died before I got the chance :-[
This has really got me in the mood to go see a concert.I see that Dream Theater and John Mellencamp are both touring this summer.Life is good!

jjmk98k

Quote from: twoodward15 on April 23, 2005, 02:50:18 PM
George rules!!!  You got his box set???

I bought the old box set years ago when i was Stationed at Eielson AFB, in Alaska.... was a great thing to have when I drove from Fairbanks Alaska to Pittsburgh...... 4,500 miles. Having George along made it that much better.
Jim

Sawing Logz

Growing up on motown, left little room for country music, then I moved south (FLA) for 12 years. Been a Strait fan ever since. Took the wife to see him last year at the "Palace of auburn hills". He took down the house.

Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

Mark M

I've only been to once concert and that was about a month ago when I went to a convention in Orlando. My son and I spent the day at Sea World and Darryl Worley gave a concert that evening. I didn't expect much cause there was no extra charge for it but my son wanted to go so we went. Boy was it great! it was supposed to be an hour long and ended up going for over 2 hours. I think he sang every song on his two latest Cd's. Funny when we went in we couldn't think of any of his songs but we knew most of them when we heard him sing. The "Have You Forgotten" had everyone standing and many with  tears in their eyes, including me. We had center seat about 4 rows back! Hope he comes up here sometime.

Thank You Sponsors!