home made sawmill blade tracking adjustment

Started by steve phillips, February 05, 2012, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all
like to here some good ideas for making the blade tracking adjuster
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

shelbycharger400

is this a circle mill or band, or chain bar mill ?          technically, i have 2 of the 3  types here :)

steve phillips

bandmiller2

Steve,look to the left and bring up the woodland site they show the adjusters and how to use them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rbarshaw

The screw to the left tensions the band, the screw facing out tracks the band, it is in a nut welded to the plate, the plate is hinged to the left and has another plate on the other side of the hinge that the screw presses on the band wheel axle is welded to the 2nd plate, you can see the end of the axel partly above that plate.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

eastberkshirecustoms

By looking at the photos you posted, you are going to use dual pillow blocks on both the drive and tension side probably mounted on parallel horizontal square tubing, correct? Since the pillow blocks are slotted for adjustment, all you need to do is weld small threaded blocks on each side of them. Install an adjuster bolt on each side- loosen one, tighten the other. This will adjust your toe in/out. Your camber will be adjusted by shimming the front or back pillow block. Here's a very crude (and not to scale) drawing of what I described above, the 'blocks' are denoted in black:

steve phillips

howdy eastberk
you are correct , and i was thinking the same . just wanted someone to check behind me lol

bandmiller2

Steve,what Berky says will work fine as once its adjusted you will seldom have to readjust.On my bandmill I made like a double hinge with locks kinda a waste of time as I adjusted it once and haven't touched it since. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rbarshaw

Here is a picture of the stearing for my new mill I am building, it's like what eastberkshirecustoms posted earlier, I still need to add locknuts to it, but it does work well. This is on the right side of the two pillow blocks, there are another two on the left side, and another set of 4 on the pillow blocks for the other bandwheel.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

buildthisfixthat

on the drive wheel i used the same as barshaw nut bolt  ..on the idle wheel i made the assembely fully adjustable  slideing square tubing ,and jack screws from a few sissor jacks and put the blade tenision spring in one side of the assembely ,the ability to adjust the tracking 6 ways worked for me i have a few photos in my gallery if you want any better pics id be glad to post them
shop built bandsaw mill

steve phillips

howdy build this
would like to see the pic if you have time     thanks

Thank You Sponsors!