iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Im going with a bench on the abandoned log full of metal.  Thanks for the idea MM.  I rolled it over so flat side was up and slipped a couple of flitches front and back to stabilize and it turns out to be perfect height to sit on.  Only issue now is I have to wait until I buy a tractor or borrow neighbors to put it in it's final resting spot.  Turns out a log with a flat on one side does not roll very easily.  Who would have thunk it!  Do not have to worry about anyone stealing this one.  
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

Downstream - 

You would be surprised at just how many times a log with one flat side WILL roll when you don't want it to!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DbltreeBelgians

Well Sunday afternoon was beautiful in N.W. Ohio so I got the mill out of the shop and set up. Started in on the small red oak that I had gun barreled to practice the RRQS technique. Decided to just flat saw as it was checked bad and I found PPB holes all over it.
After squaring I started cutting on the 4/4 hardwood scale making a handful of 6" boards. On the gig back near the head of the cant there was a loud bang and this is what I saw.  Right at the weld.

Broke many bands but his was a first. Shot that thing out the dust chute. I've read many post about this happening and not letting anyone around that side of mill while in operation. I see why now. No fingers in dust chute on this mill like mizers have.
So on goes a new 7° Lennox WoodMaster C-Sharp and away we go again. Cut 2 boards and gig back to the head of cant. Start swinging up my back stops to keep from rolling the cant off the backside and "ZING"!! 
Didn't have the head back far enough and swung the post right into the brand new blade.   smiley_furious3

Did I mention it was a beautiful Sunday afternoon?

WV Sawmiller

Just piddlin hoping the mud will eventually dry up. I put in a new Radial Arm saw to replace mine that died and turned out the easiest way to install it was set it on top of my built in table, build up on both sides (a simple box like affair with a couple 2X4 cross pieces, and stand on a pallet when sawing. Got one side finished then used the RAS to cut the pieces for the other side.

This afternoon cut a small cart load of firewood of the last ash tree I cut down then went to resaw the 2 outer slabs off the big walnut I had sawed last week. Lubing up before starting and spotted the blade guide roller on the idler side the jam nuts had worked free so spent the next 30-45 minutes checking and adjusting the guide rollers. Glad I spotted it here vs on a mobile job.

Resawed the 2 big walnut slabs and got 3- 8/4 slabs worth about 56 bf out of them. These were top and bottom cuts not worth the slabbing effort but pretty easy on the mill.

Thick end.

Bark side.

Final salvage a 4', 8' and a 10' 2" slab.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

@DbltreeBelgians 

Look on the bright side - based on the photo of your backstop you should have plenty of confidence in knowing that those new bands are properly sharpened from the factory - at least you don't have to worry about that any more.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Briankinley2004

Sawed this big ole gum log I found. IF it behaves I may make a table out of the book matched pair

<b

r>

Magicman

It may very well behave because it already looks fairly dry. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would to......if it behaves.  :D :D :D

Nice marking though.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2018, 10:18:55 PM
It has been laying around for about a year. I sealed the ends not long after cutting. Already some borers in sapwood. I sprayed it down good with boracare. Hopefully it will work out. 

Crossroads

Going to be milling some big Sitka spruce tomorrow that are in a trailer park, so I'm sure I'll find something that don't sound like wood. At least they're not new blades....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Scottasheppard

Aka Porkie

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quotebehaves??
In my young days I must have been kin to Sweetgum.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Quotebehaves??
And me too!  Vera says that I'm still a bit wonky. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Quotebehaves??

twisted?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Briankinley2004

wompy joed, wonky, catty wampus and crooked as a dogs leg are thoughts that came to mind today when I sawed these walnut "logs". The lumber looks pretty but I bet the gum acts better

WDH

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on March 20, 2018, 09:14:56 PM
I bet the gum acts better

:D :D :D :D  If a frog had wings..... ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Crossroads

Cut 2790bdft (log scale) of spruce today. Should have about half a day tomorrow finishing up. Had some trouble with the 4* wanting to go around some of the knots in the wide cuts today, tomorrow I'm going to try a 7* to see how it responds. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

With Sitka spruce the wood is pretty soft and the knots are crazy hard. That contrast is always hard to saw. When I was the planerman at a large mill on the California coast, I've had those spruce knots break planer knives on more than one occasion. I'm thinking that the 7° bands may do better.  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Thanks Darrel, I hope your right, the 6 logs I have left are all over 30" and it really bothers me when I flip a cant over and it has a wave around a knot. 

fishfighter

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on March 19, 2018, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2018, 10:18:55 PM
It has been laying around for about a year. I sealed the ends not long after cutting. Already some borers in sapwood. I sprayed it down good with boracare. Hopefully it will work out.

I have two big gum trees that has been on the ground for over a year. DanG things are way way to big to even fit on my mill. I need to just put the chainsaw to them, pile them up and burn them. ;D

PA_Walnut

Quote from: fishfighter on March 21, 2018, 07:13:16 AMAlready some borers in sapwood. I sprayed it down good with boracare. Hopefully it will work out.

I've been considering spraying this on some material, but have no experience with it. Is it a preventive measure or a resolution to infestations in progress?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Briankinley2004

Quote from: PA_Walnut on March 21, 2018, 08:03:11 AM
Quote from: fishfighter on March 21, 2018, 07:13:16 AMAlready some borers in sapwood. I sprayed it down good with boracare. Hopefully it will work out.

I've been considering spraying this on some material, but have no experience with it. Is it a preventive measure or a resolution to infestations in progress?
I have a friend in the termite treatment business that uses it on them so I assume it works on active stuff. I know I have read on this forum or others that is is a good preventative to keep bugs out until lumber goes to kiln. The last gum I cut had borers the next morning. So far haven't seen anything in this lumber

thecfarm

DbltreeBelgians,do your log stops go straight up and down?
If so I put inch marks on mine. 3 inches is really 4 inch on the ruler,4 inches is 5 on the ruler,5 inches is really 6 on the ruler and so on.
So if I am cutting flitches,I set my log stops at 3 and the ruler at 4 I know, I have an inch to spare. Much easier than guessing on the heights. This way I can go high and hold the flitches in place better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!