iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CAT 525C vs 545C

Started by Cruiser_79, April 16, 2019, 02:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

A client knows a used Caterpillar 545c, low hour machine. Quite interesting to purchase but I wonder or there is a huge difference between the 525C and the 545. I hope there isn't a big difference in manoeverability etc. 
Operating weight of a 525 is 17,7 metric tons, the 545 weighs 19.2 tons. 
They both have a C7 acert engine, the 545 has 30 hp more. 

Dimensions are not that different, length is 40 cm more (15 inch) and the width is the same. 
Is the biggest difference the engine power? 

Riwaka

You often cannot take the dimensions off the spec sheet as what the machine actually is. Better to go and measure the machines.

545C - standard with the wide axles. 525C - either standard or wide axles as an option.

545C - more torque and bigger grapple options to get the higher weight etc

Machine flexibility is also in part - the operator skill level - higher skill level plans the route for efficiency, full drags etc. A low skilled machine operator on a small machine can cause residual tree damage in a thinning operation etc.

545c/ 525c - could always try the French solution and find some narrow axles or a steerable rear axle? for tighter turns   (e.g pivot steer loader with rear steer axle to reduce radius by 10 percent.  New loader bends in the middle and 'steers' at the rear - Agriland.ie    )could make a 545c have a tighter turning circle than a 525c at a high cost for a steer axle and greater maintenance cost with the steer components) (Some of the ZF steer axles are used in the forest on various machines)

BargeMonkey

Comparing the size or what the machine is capable of ? a 545 is BIG compared to a 525, you rarely see a 545 on 30.5, normally 35.5 because it will blow the beads out. 

kiko

The 45s bring less money used than 25s around here.  The bigger grapples and frame length make for more transmission failures and boom / arch issues on the 45s.  

kiko

Riwaka, I find your ideas for modifications to machinery interesting and thought provoking, but for from practical and affordable.  

Cruiser_79

Quote from: kiko on April 16, 2019, 11:21:46 PM
The 45s bring less money used than 25s around here.  The bigger grapples and frame length make for more transmission failures and boom / arch issues on the 45s. 

So drivetrain is the same as a 25, but more horsepower and bigger loads = more wear?

kiko

Some 25s were speced with heavy duty axles.  The gear reduction is the same in either axle.  The big axles are better suited for duals and/ 35.5.   The 25 s did not come from Cat with the bigger grapples. Not all the transmission were  exactly the same through the C series, but the same basic transmission was used in the 25 35 and 45c.

kiko

This is from a 35c transmission, forward low clutch shaft. Bearing failure which also damaged the rear case.  Around 15k hours.  

Cruiser_79

Quote from: kiko on April 17, 2019, 07:25:54 PM
This is from a 35c transmission, forward low clutch shaft. Bearing failure which also damaged the rear case.  Around 15k hours.  

If that's the first failure in 15 000 hours, I am not too worried  :D

quilbilly

From what I've heard it's almost 20k to get a tranny replaced. So if it goes out every 15k I wouldn't be happy.
a man is strongest on his knees

kiko

I agree. Often proper maintenance would prolong this time.  Also attempting to put 4 to 500 tons a day on the landing will shorten component life. With any current brand skidder 15k hours is good service time in my opinion.  Tigercat hydrostatic drive failure could cost much more.  I would be scared of what the jd L transmission would cost.  Cat has warranted the all the Transmission failures on the D series around here that I know of, so I have yet to work on one of those with trans failure also have not heard anything about the cost.

Cruiser_79

We visited the 545 last week. Nice machine, very low hours. The (first) owner bought it new for a landclearing project. Ran 1500 hours on it, but after finishing the project they found out the 545 was too big and that it is getting harder to go in the woods with a wheeled machine. Due to regulations customers prefer and demand tracked machines. 

Machine looked and worked very good, no leakages etc. Only problem is that there isn't a winch installed. There is an extra function for a winch. On ebay I found a cat winch with serial number 252 5206. Will this winch fit a 545c without any problems, and does this winch have a proper freespool? 
Are there any other options for a 545c?

kiko

Yes that is the right winch for a 545c. There may be other options available.  You will need the mount for the winch, winch wiring harness, extra control valve section and dash switches. I dont know  what all is included in the extra function.   And yes proper free spool.

Thank You Sponsors!