iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmi 351p

Started by JMG, April 28, 2019, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMG

Just ordered my first logging winch farmi 351p for two wheel drive kabota L4310 plans are to thin our timber on a customer as needed and harvest the hardwood tops for firewood.all pine are coming down due to worms .I hope my equipment will do the job.any tips greatly appreciated
JMG🚜

thecfarm

How many hp is that tractor?
As long as the winch size matches the tractor size,all should be good.
Sounds like you will be going in after someone else cuts out for logs?
Don't pull at a sharp angle,the log gets behind a stump,rock and stops,winch still going,tractor can tip over. Set the brake and make sure winch is on solid ground so the blade will dig in. I put the loader down too.
I cut and twitch out alot of small stuff on my land. I ran 6 slides. sometimes all 6 are used,sometimes only one. Those 6 sure do come in handy on stuff 6 inches across. I made up six 4 foot chains just for the small stuff. Sometimes I don't even touch my 8 foot chains for days. You can double up on a 8 foot chain and take 2 logs with one chain.
I like to put a rolling hook on just about anything that I hook up. Meaning,put the hook down low,on the ground,so when you winch it in,the hook should come to the top. So the part of the log that was on the ground should be up in air. This helps on finding limbs on the bottom of the log.Also keep any limbs from digging up the ground.
Should have a 6 foot rope to work the winch. Keep away from the path of the tractor. I have seen mine slide back 3 feet a few times. I straddled a log and did not know it. Watch out for any slash as you winch in.
When winching,I don't have to run the rpms that high on the tractor with the small stuff.  Start winching in stuff 3 feet across the rpms will have to go up some.
If you have to look behind you,don't do it for too long. That front end can up quick. I have a clutch on mine,I just step on the clutch and the front end will come back to earth quick.
I suppose you have seperate brakes? Those can help you help when one wheel wants to spin,with your 2 wheel drive tractor. Helps to steer too.
Pull that cable out to keep your tractor out of the danger zones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

The Farmi 351 is a great unit, and a good match for your tractor. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

One additional tool I've found to be very helpful is a self-releasing snatch block. This allows you to pull logs around corners without have to make a trip to the block to release the cable when the log gets there. Just a really handy accessory.

A tip for long cable life: before serious use, unwind your cable almost all the way, leaving just a 4 or 5 wraps on the drum. Then winch it in under load (drag a log back in, or use the winch to pull the tractor up a slight incline - while in neutral). This way, you get a nice, tight wind. A loose wind can cause the cable to pull down inside the wraps already on the spool, causing kinks and tangles. any time you have the cable way out and need to pull it back in, do so under load (at least a little something dragging). If that is not possible, before next use, plan on running the cable back out to where you first started winding with not tension, and then winding it back in again under tension.

Make a habit of storing your winch with the cable under a bit of tension (I pull the cable all the way in until the hook bottoms out on the pulley). This keeps excessive slack from working it's way back into the spool, maximizing the chances you'll be ready to go with a nice, tight wind the next time you use it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JMG

Tractor 43 hp 38 on pro I read a article on winches that basically said they loose power for every complete wind of the cable this was on electric wonder if that the same on pro winch
JMG🚜

47sawdust

I've not seen any noticeable loss of power on either of my pto winches (Tajfun or Krpan).Make sure your brakes are set,the winch is down and in firm contact with the ground and that your loader bucket(if you have one) is curled and down as well.The winch will pull at just and idle but it will really pull at higher rpms.Keep your feet away from the tires and pay attention to potential hazards.
As John said,a self releasing snatch block is DanG a must.
Welcome,good luck,and have fun.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

That's a good size tractor to play with,I have a 40hp with a Norse winch. This one has a a butt plate that pivots or locks in place. The high mast was the selling point. When my Father was alive with was pulling 3 foot one pine behind it. Sometimes we would even get some close to 4 feet.
Any limbs I leave I try to cut up into not much over 2 feet. Yes,it takes time,alot of time,but if I need to drive through it,nothing should come up in the air and damage the tractor. My land is hard to get around on. With rocks,knolls,uneven places and wet holes and leave trees does not leave much room to get around on. I have a small piece of round stock to pry apart logs. A peavey would do it too. I dig out rocks and use the round bar more on that than logs. ;D
I have not noticed the lost of power either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mt406

Have you seen a winch on a skid steer 

Mt406

I didn't get to finish my post. I thinking of one for my skid steer are thay powered from the pto or hydraulic system 

47sawdust

Mt406,You might get more responses by starting a separate thread.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Two Trax

Great winch! I have had one for about 20 years, has come in handy for more than skidding logs. Several good tips already. BE CAREFUL. That winch will pull that tractor around quite easily. I have 2 tractors, a 4700 JD, 48 hp and a McCormick C80L, 80 hp. I prefer to use it on the bigger tractor. 

Good luck with the new toy. I have never had one problem with the winch, works just as good today as the day it came home. Enjoy!
Livin the dream!

Two Trax

Quote from: Mt406 on April 29, 2019, 05:10:24 PM
I didn't get to finish my post. I thinking of one for my skid steer are thay powered from the pto or hydraulic system
Believe all skidding winches are PTO powered. Someone may make a hydraulic unit but I have never seen one.
Livin the dream!

John Mc

Quote from: Two Trax on April 29, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
Believe all skidding winches are PTO powered. Someone may make a hydraulic unit but I have never seen one.

No, they do make hydraulic ones. They tend to be a bit slower, but are available with wireless remote.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: JMG on April 28, 2019, 11:47:42 PM
Tractor 43 hp 38 on pro I read a article on winches that basically said they loose power for every complete wind of the cable this was on electric wonder if that the same on pro winch

True of all spool winches: as you build up layers on the drum, the speed increases, but the power decreases.

A capstan winch does not have this issue, since there is no build up of layers on the capstan

JMG

farmi arrives tomorrow.try it out one day this week doing a side job to help pay for it.thanks for all the advice.let y'all know how it goes
JMG🚜

Thank You Sponsors!