iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Paypal problems ?

Started by sprucebunny, May 10, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I tried to buy something from a company that said they only took Paypal. I followed thier invoice and tried to pay as a non-paypal member. It insisted that I join Paypal.... I'm already a member.

Paypal has a $10,000 limit before you have to give them your checking account number.... I just won't give out that info so this purchase puts me over that limit.

Then I returned an email authorization form from the company using the same credit card and Paypal blocked it ??? For the second try, I took the card out of Paypal. Still no joy.

Is the woman on the wrong web page or can Paypal reach out and halt commerce like that ???
My credit card company has no ideas....

On Monday, I will change the card number or send a wire transfer. Paypal has angered me  bat_smailey
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

SB
I'm not aware of what is really going on, but it sounds like the "paypal" attempt put a hold on your credit card, such that the amount on hold is keeping the second attempt from going through. But your credit card people should be able to sort that out for you.

I've heard of this before, and think it is just one possiblilty.

I go through paypal and just use my regular credit card to pay. No longer belong to paypal due to too many shinanigans.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Mine is a little different Paypal problem.  For the first time ever, we had a charge billed to our account that was not ours.  The supposed purchase had Pat's name but a non-existent Brookhaven delivery address.  ???

The lady (after Pat finally got a real live person) was very nice and agreeable.  She said that it would probably take up to 30 days for everything to clear.  That is OK as long as it does clear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

The credit card company had not seen any activity on the card. Seems paypal just denied me access to my own credit card !!!

I think all these financial companies are just too big and greedy.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Larry

I found out the hard way, most credit card companies block large purchases.

For example, say you had a $50K limit, and no outstanding balance.  You decide to buy a $10K sawmill and give the XYZ Sawmill company your card number.  The transaction will be blocked through no fault of your own.  You are expected to call the credit card company a day or two before the transaction and alert them you will be making a large purchase.

According to the card companies they do this service to prevent fraud.  They also wouldn't tell me what dollar amount constitutes a large purchase.  I guess the dollar amount varies by account and how often one makes a large purchase.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I always call my credit card company before taking a trip or making a large purchase.  There is no need for me to generate red flags that can be prevented beforehand.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

While I generally avoid using PayPal, sometimes it is the easiest solution to making or receiving a payment.

When PayPal needed to verify my account by linking it to my checking, I opened a free checking account at an internet bank. I transferred just enough money in to cover the transaction, and linked it to PayPal. I keep a few dollars in the internet bank account to keep it active so PayPal is happy, but they do not have direct access to my real checking or savings accounts.

We once had a credit card blocked for purchases "inconsistent with our purchase history". The wife had taken the kids roller skating. Later that afternoon, the credit card company called and asked if she had made purchases at a number of teen focused clothing stores and online sites. The purchases were relatively small and well within our credit limit. We still had possession of the cards. We had not made the purchases so they cancelled those cards and FedEx-ed new ones the next day.

I can only guess that one of the teens at the roller rink copied the card information and used it later that day at the nearby mall. In this case it was helpful that credit card's fraud prevention unit was able to flag unusual purchases instead of us having to dispute the charges when the bill arrived or the credit limit was used up.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

thecfarm

My wife was buying stuff on Amazon,lots of $1-3 items,like about 10 times. The credit union closed her account. Seem like that how it starts. Someone will get your numbers and make a bunch of small purchases to see if it works and than go for the gold!!! Yes,it was a bother,but they was trying to protect her account. Just like years ago we brought Travelers Checks, when used they are supposed to check your ID.   ::)  I think only one or two stores asked for an ID.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Whitman

I had a $35 plus balance at the end of Dec, Jan 1 with no tranaction balance was 0000. Never recived the money or credit back to my acount.

Warbird

Be careful with PayPal and using your debit/check card as a credit card. 

Magicman

I never use a debit card online.  Only one specific credit card.