iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Duro Chain

Started by magic, June 02, 2004, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

Hey guys,

Been looking at picking up a Stihl Duro Chain with the carbide tips.  Just wondering any feedback on how it performs and how long they usually stay sharp.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Rocky_J

I've never known anyone to buy a carbide chain a second time. Expensive and it doesn't cut as well as regular chain.

incognitive

And it can't be touched-up with a file in the field, and the brittle carbide is susceptible to chipping.

Kevin

It was designed more for emergency measures as in cutting through roofs and walls.
I don't know anyone that uses it outside of that.

iain

how about in a mill?
would it be worth a punt?

Rocky_J

No, absolutely not. Unless you enjoy cutting with very expensive, dull chain.

Frickman

I have one of those chains, it's been hanging on the wall for four years now. Once upon a time I had a guy cutting logs apart for me in the yard who couldn't keep the saw out of the dirt. Everything else he did was fine, but he'd spend half his time filing chains. I got him one of those chains and he was tickled pink, I'd just take it to a dealer once a week to get ground. It cuts slow and kind of rough, not something you want to use all day. Like Kevin said, it's more for specialty applications. I used it once for cutting points on locust posts and knocked half the carbide off, it's that brittle.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!