iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CNC Router.. Owners? Builders?

Started by Danny_S, December 29, 2007, 08:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Anyone in here own or have built a cnc router?   It has become my new passion, I have been researching online for weeks and I have a pretty good plan in my head on how I am going to build one. I got a new 2hp router for christmas so that just fueled the fire... ;) 

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48    This has been my main source of info on DIY table builds.... a abundance of information and part manufacturer links.  Seeing as I work in a machine shop and have some computer and cnc knowlege it just is falling all into place.

If and when I do get this project going I will certainly post a build thread here in the forum.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

woodbowl

What kind of ideas do you have Danny? Is it for an xyz table or with more axis to carve sculptures?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Danny_S

Just a XYZ,  alot like this one built by one of the guys on that forum I mentioned in previous post.....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGu51uqNgQ   (sorry dialup members)

There are many different designs, I am thinking on a 4' x 4' table all made of steel. with aMDF bed.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

highpockets

I was going to make a remark and maybe put my little machine on here. BUT mine ain't nothing like that. I did build it though. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

getoverit

I want to say that Highpockets has been REAL instrumental in helping me get my home built router up and running. I appreciate all of the help immensly.

Mine uses a dremel router right now, but I am most likely going to change that to a rotoZip or a laminate trimmer. There are times when I could use more horse power in my routings, but most of the time I am dealing with tools (bits) that are so small that no matter what amount of HP you have, you still have to go slow because the tools break so easy. I do guitar inlays with mine and also do other acoustic guitar parts such as bridges with it.  My next project will be to design and route a better acoustic guitar neck.

Building the machine is the easy part. Buying the software and learning the CAD, then the CAM and then the controller software is the hard part (and time consuming).

Mine uses stepper motors and plain old 1/4" all thread to move the table and head. You can buy packages on ebay and other places that include all of the stepper motors, screws and controller box. Doing the woodwork to build the bed is the easy part.

Here are a few pictures of what I am using my router for:

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Captain

Great stuff Ken, tell us about the software and where you got it. 

Captain

getoverit

I bought Mach!! and Mach3 on the web....www.artsoft.com
I bought BobCAD/CAM on line at www.bobcad.com

I also have AutoCAD and Corel Draw.

Taking time to learn new programs is a lengthy project for me. Luckily, I just bought BOBCAD and this came with tutorial DZVD's, so it is cutting down on the learning curve time.

highpockets

getoverit I had completely forgotten. Glad you are up and running.  I run a Rotozip and a craftsmans 1 1/2 h.p. router on mine.  Good luck, it's fun ain't it?

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

getoverit

I currently have an industrial dremel on mine, but a new project I need to make is going to require more power and a larger table too. I have all of the parts and pieces to make the new table and right now I am thinking I am going to put a laminate trimmer in for the router.

The new table is going to be a 18x36 with a Z of 6 to 8 inches.

I am trying to pre-carve guitar necks with it and with a 4" high heel and the neck being a little over 20" long, it will take a larger table than what I have now.

I am really appreciative for all of your help getting this thing up and running. I couldnt have done it without you!
By the way, I bought BobCAD/CAM to do all of my CAD/CAM work. I dont know whey they did it, but when I called them and complained about their $5,000 price tag, they came down to less than 10 cents on the dollar and threw in a 21 disk CD set of training manuals for free. It has leap frogged my CNC work immensly.

Here is a couple of the new custom guitar bridges I have been doing on the CNC router. Pretty nice, eh? :D

woodbowl

Pretty nice is right. Lookin' good.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

pigman

My son got some maple boards from me a few weeks ago. For Christmas he gave me back some of it. He made several signs for family and friends.
The signs were made on a cnc router table he and a friend built.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Hey Ken,

That is beeeutiful......I hope you have been sending Cubby some pics along the way  ;)  ;)  ;)

Make sure I git ta see a pic of that one when it's done.

Looks like ya found yer calling  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

That sign looks GREAT.  Hope we can get some info and details about the makin of the cnc router table, and some pics.  Any chance?  :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

Beenthere, I don't know much about the cnc router table execpt he built the table and frame and bought other componets like the router, power supply, threaded rods, and stepper moters. He uses the same software where he works, so the programing was fairly easy for him. He has a friend that does a lot of metal cnc work that helped him some with the software. I think the table is 4ft X 6ft.
Here is a picture of my son with the router making a small sign .

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

logwalker

That is amazing. I would not have dreamed you could pull that off with off the shelf components. Kudos!!  Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

Hey Pigman, that looks like a great sign. Your son did a great job on the sign. I am like logwalker, would never have guessed you could do it home made style. Your boy is a smart cookie.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!