iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northfield 32 band saw

Started by Dana, April 22, 2009, 10:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I bought a Northfield 32 bandsaw today at an auction. Now I have to decide if I am keeping that or the Powermatic anyone have any thoughts on this? I like the look of the Northfield and it seems that parts are available. Not sure if that is the same for the Powermatic.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Kcwoodbutcher

Parts are available for the Northfield thru Northfield. They actually keep track of their saws so go to their site and register. I'd keep the northfield they don't get much better than that. I'm on the lookout for a deal on a northfield 36". Had one in PA go cheap but it was to far. Another gov surplus in TX went for $410 but it looked like it was dropped off a truck.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

D._Frederick

Is this the saw with the motor built into the bandwheel? It didn't need any belts, but if you fried the motor it had to be rewound.

Kcwoodbutcher

Most are direct drive  but you can get it belt driven. Any motor that has been fried would need to be rewound, direct drive or belt driven.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Dana

Quote from: D._Frederick on April 28, 2009, 07:58:14 PM
Is this the saw with the motor built into the bandwheel? It didn't need any belts, but if you fried the motor it had to be rewound.

No, this one has a 3 hp 3 phase motor that is belt driven.

I called the factory and they gave me the complete history. It was the 209 machine of 1956. Sold aug 6 1956 to the Naval office in Florida for $1181.00 Then resold in August of 01 to a company in Cincinatti who moved it to their plant in Michigan. It's now registered to me and is the saw I'm going to keep. Any company that cares that much about their product after it's sold has my attention and business.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Ironwood

The folks you spoke to are family, run that way since the 1950's. Good people, great products, it is THE last American high quality woodworking company still standing.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!