iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my mill[pics]

Started by arlostone, December 14, 2012, 10:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlostone

well my mill arrived and i'm hooked.i've been learning alot and having fun.ive learned that its easier to cut a 6"x8"x16' sugar maple beam than it is to get it off the mill :D :D.so i've welded chain hooks to my tractor haved eased log handling to a degree,next is forks.

tk 1400

JohnSR

Nice photos and good looking mill. Sure looks cold there though.

Magicman

That is a very nice setup and congrats on the new TK.  It looks awesome setting there waiting for another log.   ;D

I don't have any, but I like shiny stuff too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

Looks awesome, and congrats on the mill. I handle my logs the same way with chains, works good. I also use a hay spear on the 3 point hitch for medium size logs and 6x6s 8x8s etc. back the tractor up slide or roll them onto the small spikes on bottom of the hay spear lift and go. Works like forks.

drobertson

Nice! does look cold, just got to thinking, make sure you a loaded for Bear!  Have fun,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

Get those forks, old grader blades work good as they are tough and don't bend but will break if you really lean on them.    Nice mill!!!   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Sprucegum

Nice !

Sure looks warm there  ;)  :)

I tried aset of forks mounted in the bucket but don't care for the visibilty when picking something up. Get quick attach set up for buckets and forks - you won't be sorry.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, arlostone!

Congrats on the new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Let the fun begin continute!!  Nice set up.  I have used my grapple a bunch to load logs.  Forks would be a good choice for off loading and moving lumber!

millwright

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new mill, be real carefull that you dont curl your bucket too far when handling logs, they have a nasty habit of coming down the loader arms and ending up in your lap.

shelbycharger400

the farmers have told me to stay away from the "clamp" on style forks that go on buckets. They warp the buckets and dont always stay on.

bandmiller2

Arlo,a very practical and cheap way to handle logs with your loader is to make a set of tusks.Two heavy pieces of angle iron to bolt inside the corners of your bucket.Have them stick out about 2' torch the front down to a dull point and put a slight belly behind the point to cradle the log.I used that system for years easy on, easy off to push snow.Don't waste your money with clamp on forks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

arlostone

thanks all,yeah i've definately ruled out clamp on forks.pretty much decided on an ATI plate style setup.just amatter of saving pennies,but,i'm between assignments right now so pennies are hard to come by.i'll just keep putting gas in the mill and plan for forks next summer.
tk 1400

Dave Shepard

Congrats on the new mill!

I converted a Kubota for a friend of mine. He got the ATI coupler and a plate. I cut off the pin holes on the back of the bucket and welded the plate on. He has pallet forks and a brush grapple for it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

captain_crunch

nice set up think end hooks would be easiest way to set logs on mill forks are handy but they have less control of log rolling where you don't want em :P
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill!  Is your saw orange, too?  I bet some of the next trees to come down will be those closest to the mill-- there is never enough space.  Any plans for mill shed & drying sheds & kiln, & office...?

I loaded a lot of logs on my sawmill like that.  Always hard to get them in exactly the right place.  I never thought about end hooks, but I think I see how they'd work.  Seems like they'd be fairly easy to fabricate with a cutting torch and a grinder.  Maybe several sets for different sized logs.  Captain_crunch, do you have any photos of them?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!