iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Titles.

Started by Jeff, February 05, 2017, 11:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I was sitting here in the Walmart parking lot thinking while waiting for Tammy to come out. Thinking for me can be a strange and unpredictable activity, but I enjoy it.

Anyhow...

I was thinking, I was the head sawyer in two commercial mills spanning over 25 years. I have been building websites now since 1997, but when asked or prompted to express what I do, I always say I used to be a head sawyer. I wonder why?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

You have saw dust in you blood :)
I think it's a hard thing to remove
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishpharmer

I used to be a fish farmer.  It's a part of our past that we are proud about and it helps define who we are today as well as our experiences.  That's my 2 cents.  :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Andries

Mostly, when we meet people, we try to get to easily understood territory.
Titles generally do that.
'Head Sawyer' fits the bill.
'Parking Lot Philosopher' not so much help.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Kbeitz

Your saw butts have yet to all turn into nano butts.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

I was sitting in a Casey's parking lot the other night about midnight waiting to pick up my daughter, I did know the gal well (small town) that was closing that night so I just went in and told her I was the creeper outside in the parking lot with the lights on  :D.

drobertson

Tilted never impressed me, got my attention, but then working with these titled folks for a period has deminished my opinion, you Jeff on the other hand, well sir, if you sawed like you develop forums and web pages, well sir I'd say you were a good head sawyer,  impressive ,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Furu

Based upon myself and others that I know that have similar histories my response is as follows. 
Does not make it true for everyone by any stretch of the imagination.

Most folks describe themselves and their background as they do for the following reasons.

1.)  The way you wish others to view you.
      A.)  The job that you have the most pride in what you have done or what you are currently doing.
      B.)  The job that you feel gives you higher status in the group involved in the discussion that you are currently involved in.

2.) An attempt to prevent those you are discussing the subject with from perceiving you in a way that is different than  you wish them to perceive you.
     A.)  Your job was pretty special and cool but mentioning it in the "wrong" circles can appear to be braggadocios or as if you are lording yourself over those to whom you are discussing the subject. You do not want to seem to be bragging about your work history/background
     B.)  You are trying to downplay that job as it will bring up questions in the group/individuals that you do not want to have to have.
     C.)  You don't want others to perceive that you think of yourself as being special or better than the group in the discussion.

Yes the two main headers and subheaders above can at times be in conflict with each other but what the heck we are humans and we are often conflicted in our motivations.

WV Sawmiller

I worked overseas a long time and a lot of our other country nationals would gladly take a pay cut to get a fancy title. We Americans just wanted the pay and did not much care what our title was. We had a driver one time who was going home to Egypt for his daughter's wedding and we made him up a bunch of business cards listing him as our "Transportation Director". He did - he directed our one vehicle everywhere it went. I bet he is still giving out those cards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

luvmexfood

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2017, 11:09:12 AM
I was sitting here in the Walmart parking lot thinking while waiting for Tammy to come out. Thinking for me can be a strange and unpredictable activity, but I enjoy it.

Anyhow...

I was thinking, I was the head sawyer in two commercial mills spanning over 25 years. I have been building websites now since 1997, but when asked or prompted to express what I do, I always say I used to be a head sawyer. I wonder why?
Jeff. Sounds like you and I shop in the same way when with your spouse. Only sometimes I do go in and find a bench to set down on.  People watch. Course I am currently between spouses. LOL.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jeff

We shop in Mt. Pleasant mostly, a college town. Central Michigan University. Outside is the best place to people watch. Especially in the heat of the summer.

terrifictimbersllc

what about one from this selection...

Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_bb

It depends on how much of your identity comes from what you do for a living.  My passions/hobbies define me as much as anything else.  To limit yourself to just your profession is, well, limiting.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 05, 2017, 03:37:46 PM

Nobody cares about my being a midget Dr. No one has ever asked me about it.

gspren

My current job, RETIRED, is the best job I ever had. Prior to retiring I had at least 6 Titles, machinist, tool maker, model maker, engineering technician, supervisory engineering technician, and Chief Experimental Fabrication. The machinist title wasn't used for the past 30+ years but when someone new asks what I did I always start out saying machinist, then later depending on their back ground I might elaborate.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

My best and most rewarding titles were when I had jobs that produced a product.  Foreman, Supervisor, and Manager are titles that mean that you are on the end of the dog that gets bitten.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2017, 03:46:47 PM

I did! 
Say when

Den Socling

I have been a production manager and a plant engineer but when I'm asked, I'm just a business owner.

Shotgun

Quote from: Roxie on February 05, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2017, 03:46:47 PM

I did! 

I did as well.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gearbox

The title I like best is DAD or GRANDPA .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

Tell me more about being a midget dr.?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

landscraper

When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a ditch digger, which in fact I am.  No need to gild the lily (old saying) with a fancy title, it's already a very cool job.  It's just disguised as menial labor :D
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Jeff

Quote from: Ox on February 05, 2017, 07:10:57 PM

It's simple. I have very little patience. ;)

WV Sawmiller

We had a monument and a chain link fence business and late in life Dad started signing some things and adding PhD on the end. Some of his friends challenged him and said "I know you didn't even graduate HS. How do you justify signing something with PhD?" Dad told them, "I am not lying or exaggerating. I am a Post hole Digger."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishpharmer

Quote from: Gearbox on February 05, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
The title I like best is DAD or GRANDPA .

Feel the same!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Brucer

"She tells all her friends that I've got my PHD. It stands for Post Hole Digger, it ain't exactly a degree".
         - Fred Eaglesmith.

I have a fairly irreverent attitude about past titles, at least as far as my own are concerned. I confess that I'll sometimes play with someone a bit, if he takes his own title a little too seriously. I've got a long list of past titles -- I just have to stick "former" in front of them and misuse them as appropriate ;D.

Having said that, I always call my doctor and my dentist by their proper title as a sign of my respect for their hard-earned skills. If I didn't respect their skills, I wouldn't be seeing them for very long anyway. My new dentist asked me to call her by her first name, so I do -- it shows respect for her wishes.

And like Gearbox, I really prefer Dad and Grandpa.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

Jeff,
Did you ever work on any famous midgets? You could add that on and you would be the famous midget doctor. ;D

I think very little too.  I think that makes me a midget thinker?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Brucer,

I am with you on most titles. I worked with quite a few Filipinos in Saudi starting in the '90s and they often called each other "Engineer ___" and seemed to have greater respect for that profession than I did. Not an easy degree but as far as i was concerned with was still a 4 year/BS degree. I worked with our American Engineers daily and we/they did not act like deserved some kind of exalted reverence.

I am in agreement with affording Doctors and Dentists more respect.
Howard Green

dnalley

patience...or patients.  finally i  understand.

Ljohnsaw

I have always been a tinkerer since I was a kid - inspired by my dad.  He would always try something.  Recently, I've been mentoring my son's robotics team and we got to talking about building a cabin with lumber I'm milling with my homemade mill.

"Really?" they ask.  And then they ask what I do for a living.  I keep wanting to say I'm unemployed but I tell them I'm retired.  They give me a frustrated look and say, no, what did you do for a living.  I tell them I was a computer department manager.  Then the questions go on as to how do you know how to build stuff and such.  I just tell them, you never know what you can do until you try.  What's the worst that can happen?  You can't do it.  Not the end of the world...  Amazing how many people are so narrowly focused on what the can and cannot do!  Life is all about taking chances and learning.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

I've worked oilfield most of my career and I have a title these days. Most of the time I either tell folks that I dig holes in the water or that I'm oilfield trash. Among a lot of us older oilfield guys it was, and to me still is, a thing to be proud of to be known as oilfield trash. A lot of folks look down on what I do, kinda like they look down on the forest products industry, but I'm proud of my job. To those that don't like what I do, I say they can feel free to sit in the dark and freeze. By the way, although I don't tell most people my title unless they specifically ask what I do on my job, I'm proud of it. For a reprobate high school drop out I've managed to do well for myself.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Oh yeah, Pawpaw is my favorite title by far. Dad runs pretty close.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

slider

When asked i tell them i trucked for over 40 years and still do some.Now after getting i the tree business i am the head yard raker.It is not a glorious title but it makes the women happy when we leave things looking good.
As for wall mart parking lot's.Jeff down here we call that shooting over a baited field.
al glenn

gspren

At the Army Research Lab where I worked (machinist) I occasionally received mail that had PHD behind my name, I thought it stood for "Pretty Heavy Dude".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

loggah

I never earned much of a title,in many of the different ways i earned a living ! :) But no matter how down i felt or when we start feeling a bit sorry for our selfs, after a trip to the local Wal-mart  i usually feel pretty good. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ox

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2017, 07:35:01 PM
Quote from: Ox on February 05, 2017, 07:10:57 PM

It's simple. I have very little patience. ;)
The wit is strong with this one.  :laugh:
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

There was a whole list out of things to do when bored in Wal-Mart (Not that anyone should ever get bored in a Wal-Mart). They included things like putting EPT kits in old ladies baskets when they weren't watching, hiding in the clothing and telling people "Help Me" when they take an item off the rack, skipping down the aisles, etc.
Howard Green

Brucer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 05, 2017, 09:36:10 PM
I worked with quite a few Filipinos in Saudi starting in the '90s and they often called each other "Engineer ___" and seemed to have greater respect for that profession than I did.

That's an interesting observation, Howard. In a lot of countries it's very common to refer to a professional engineer with the title "Engineer ______". It's not the engineers themselves that are promoting the practice. It's just a common cultural practice.

Most of the engineers I've worked with were down-to-earth types who weren't the least bit worried about their title. My only gripe was that not enough of them spent time with the people who had to install/use their designs. I figure it was mostly pressure from management to stay in the office and design things.

Of course there were always a few who acted as though a piece of paper on the wall and an iron ring on their finger made them superior.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

LeeB

In the ME, and Egypt in particular, the title engineer is a major big thing. Many companies won't hire anyone with out it. Having said that, what I've seen my several years of working over here is that the title, and degree are not worth much more than the paper they are printed on.  ::)

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: Brucer on February 07, 2017, 12:33:22 AM

Most of the engineers I've worked with were down-to-earth types who weren't the least bit worried about their title. My only gripe was that not enough of them spent time with the people who had to install/use their designs. I figure it was mostly pressure from management to stay in the office and design things.

The same can be said about architects. When I worked in the custom shop of the door factory my co-worker and I would often look at the latest blueprint and say almost in unison "Architects!". They know what looks good on paper but they don't have to build it.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Magicman

I do not mind if any customer calls me by my first name.  No problem whatsoever regardless of their age.  My customer yesterday referred to me as Mr. Lynn.  I understand and appreciate his respect for his "elders".  He had been taught to use good manners and respect as a child. 

Now if/when they refer to me as Mr. Davis, I always correct them and tell them that that (Tom) was my Dad.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bucknwfl

Well as a young whippersnapper.   I think you all deserve respect, title or not.

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Magicman

And then there was the kid in school that thought that "Ray" was his middle name.  His Dad had always called him "DanGit Ray".

Jeff

My very good friend Joe Wade, who past away this last year, was the custodian at the elementary school for 35 years.  He was known for finding out what a person's father's first name was, or mother's if you were a girl, aND then call you that. He always greeted me with "Hey Ray'.  It was his simple way of showing he had taken the time to get to know something about each kid, or anyone he knew for that matter. I sure miss that guy.

Remle

Titles are an attempt to politically cover up what you really do. As the political correctness crept in to the company which I worked for my boss, tasked me to come up with a new title for my job. My title was simply "Supervisor" after much thought I came up with "ABS" for short. Of course he insisted that I explain the meaning. So I said "Adult Baby Sitter" while he agreed with me, he thought the term would not fly with his boss and we agreed to just leave it at "Supervisor".

pineywoods

My first boss was a retired "tool pusher" aka rig boss. I learned a lot from him. I've known a few others with the same title, and I have a healthy respect for that hard earned title. My official title for 40 something years was Field service Engineer. Not much engineering involved, mostly problem resolution and customer support. We tried hiring a few graduate engineers (mostly EE) but they usually didn't work out too well.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I've been called an old farmer quite a few times. Which is not true.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Yeah, you're only 55  ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Big sis gave me my title... Slow Children  :D

caveman

The school system that I work for is relatively large, with about 110,000 students enrolled.  We have had a lot of turmoil within the district office and with our school's administration over the past few years.  We are continuously bombarded by e-mails, mostly from people who are creating work for us in order to justify their jobs.  The titles and accomplishments below their names at the bottom of their emails is amusing.  Many of the most accomplished and most competent only sign with their names.  Conversely, many of the inept include a list of titles below their names.

One of my good friends, who has been working at a different school for the past 12 years, decided to add "ASG"
below his name on all of his emails.  He even has it embroidered on some of his clothing.  I do not think anyone other than myself has ever questioned him about it.  When I asked him what the title "ASG" stood for, he replied,
"Agri Science Guru".  He is a very good ag teacher but I would hardly consider him a guru.  I do appreciate his sarcasm.  I am sure we will contrive several solutions to the district's numerous problems over the next several days while we are at the state fair.

If you really want to open a can of worms (old saying), let us change the topic from titles to "entitled".
Caveman

breederman

I think we must have a whole department that does nothing but think up and change job titles,and acronyms my previous job title changed so often that I quit paying attention . I called my manager one time about an email regarding some acronym and asked him who these people were. He said "you " :D
I like my current job title " ln delivery driver " ,simple and to the point. I did ask and was rejected if we could change it to "whipping boy " though .
Together we got this !

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: breederman on February 09, 2017, 08:12:49 AM. I did ask and was rejected if we could change it to "whipping boy " though .

Is "Scapegoat" still available?
Howard Green

Roxie

Quote from: breederman on February 09, 2017, 08:12:49 AM
I think we must have a whole department that does nothing but think up and change job titles,and acronyms my previous job title changed so often that I quit paying attention . I called my manager one time about an email regarding some acronym and asked him who these people were. He said "you " :D
I like my current job title " ln delivery driver " ,simple and to the point. I did ask and was rejected if we could change it to "whipping boy " though .

I once told my friends, "If your sweetheart has the word 'sexing' on his hat, and you're not upset, you might be in love with a farmer." 
Say when

Jeff

We'll stick with titles for the title.
My original thoughts had to do with one looking at themselves, not how others look at you. There is no way to control that other than by how you look at yourself.

breederman

Roxie , I laughed out loud ! Since "They" Have all the money in the industry these days , we may all be wearing that hat soon . :(
Together we got this !

azmtnman

Quote from: Jeff on February 09, 2017, 09:53:34 AM
We'll stick with titles for the title.
My original thoughts had to do with one looking at themselves, not how others look at you. There is no way to control that other than by how you look at yourself.
smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
  In that case, I am simply a "Mountain Man."
  Although my life looks very little like my title's namesake, it describes my very inner being--and it has since I was too young to see it myself. I was told as a youngster I was born 100 years too late and way too far east! (born and raised in Indiana) :D
   I love mountains, trees and critters and all things far from "civilization." It reminds me how small and insignificant I am and that there is a power that created every glorious sight and adventure I experience when I am there.
   While my title is who I am, my PURPOSE is to share that with others so they can know their "title" and the Creator of all they see.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Ox

If this is about how we see ourselves, then I'm a very, very misunderstood, good hearted, honest, loyal hillbilly/mountain man/hermit looking fella that can't speak well on the spot which makes me look like I'm soft in the head to those who don't truly know me.

From the outside looking in from others' perspectives I'm the, uh, jerk of a hermit who doesn't socialize with my backstabbing neighbors if I can help it.  ;D

Don P

I'm sticking with Slow Children  :)

redprospector

Around my little outfit, I'm known as The Stud Duck.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!