iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cost of treating your own lumber

Started by lamar, April 21, 2003, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamar

???need some good advice on using my own lumber and having it pressure treated. The best price I can get is .20 bf. How can I get this to figure out price, compared with buying retail. With all cost included( min. sawing,hauling,log,exct.prices) Its hard to squeez .20 into cost and come out right. Some say .12 to .13 cents is about right. Is there any way these treaters will work with you on this? How do they get the price of treated and untreated so close?Do they use a lower grade?

Tom

Treaters don't necessarily use a lower structural grade but they don't have to be concerned with color or other defects that occur when logs are left out for a long time. That probably has a lot to do with the price.

Treaters around here will charge about 10 cents a board foot but it ranges from 8 to 15 cents.  That's to treat your wood.   

I've never figured out why the difference in cost.  It may have something to do with which way the wind is blowing that day :D

I'm confused by your question about costs and the best price you can get.  Are you talking about retail wood at the lumber yard or cost of having the treatment done yourself?  It's probably my Attention Deficit Disorder doing it to me again, i just can't follow the sentence. :)

OneWithWood

What was that? Atenshun deaf sumpthin? :D :D :D ;D :-X
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

solidwoods

N. Central  TN about 10-.15 per bf.
Most treaters charge more for rough wood,  it consumes more treatment per board.
What quantity do you treat per yr,  That may be of barganing value to you.
If you use your own lumber, another value for you would be to use better grades.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

lamar

:PThanks for the info. It seems I need to talk personly to these treaters. If I can convince them I will work with them to cut handling cost and quality I might be able to work a fair price in.
tom I ment what the treater will charge me.I have a problem with getting my thoughts in order.The spirit is strong but the mind is weak.I guess I should take a sample load around and see what happens.My wife says I don't use the diesel enough anyway.She realy got mad when I told her I'm going to retire in 4 months.Anyone else have this problem?Thanks again,Larry

Thank You Sponsors!