iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky problem

Started by backpacker, November 09, 2008, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpacker

Good Day: new member and first question:)
This is about the husky 254, a bit long, but there's the story.
Two saws, different owners, different gas sources.
Saw "A" has a new coil,carb kit, air filter.
Saw "B" has a carb kit, air filter, fuel filter, piston/rings.
Both of these saws will run great, cut great, for about one tank of gas,
and if running at the time start to miss and stutter, and quit.
If they were being refilled they might start, and if they do start they
run for about 3 to 5 minutes and start missing and stop.
They will not re-start until a new plug is put in, and then they are good as
new for about another tank or so of fuel [time wise] as being usable.
I have tried NGK/Champion/Bosch/and other off brands available, same problem
each time.
Odd thing is that as soon as they stop, put the new plug in and they start and run
like nothing was ever wrong.
The plugs are slightly black/dark gray in color, when taken out and placed against the engine, they spark a yellow/tinge of blue spark, but will not run the saw.
Hopefully i have given enough info that someone has seen this before or heard of what it could be.
Thanks

zackman1801

possible that the mixture is really rich and you are fouling the plugs? or maybe you have vapor lock in the gas tank?  i cant think of other stuff right now but im  not really the guy to tell you. someone else will know though.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

backpacker

Yes a good idea, might i add that this is two different saws, doing the same
problem, which is they will either run out of fuel and stop, and then just not start.
or once re-fuelled, they shut down within minutes of restarting, change the plug
and they will either finish burning that tank, or quit just before they run out of fuel.
Both saws have the carbs re-built and adjusted, by the dealer, tried hotter plugs and no difference.
Originally one saw started doing this, and now the second one does it, both saws are doing the same job of cutting/limbing/junking, with two different operators, who ever picks up which saw first.
I am stuck as is the dealer on this one?
thanks for the reply, keep thinking, it must be a simple answer.

Red 93 L1 #3383

What oil are they using & mixed at what ratio.  What grade / brand of gas?  Are they using gas w/ 10% ethanaol?  How good is this dealer @ fixing saws / adj. carbs?  Have they tried other service centers?
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

backpacker

thanks for the reply: All my saws use high test, 40 to 1 ratio, the other saw is
high test for sure, but his ratio i am not 100% sure of, either 40 to 50 percent.
That the odd part the saws are not sharing fuel supplies, and have worked well
till this spring for saw "A" and saw "B" has started acting up last of oct.
even switched fuel cans to try that and still they shutdown after a tank[ plus/minus]
The saws are a few years old, and this is a new and odd problem.
As for dealer service, he has the usual husky service awards, has been a dealer for
20 plus years, and has serviced these units before with no problems.He  was
stumped [ still is:)] when i took them in,.
The other 254's in the area have not got any problem like this, i have compared fuel mixtures, service quality, settings, pretty well anything someones else's saw is operating with, or can be compared to.
thanks and i hope someone has the answer, but going to try all that are offered.

ladylake

Sure sounds like weak coils, sometimes new ones aren't any good.  Try gapping the plugs at 15 thousands, if that helps it's the coil for sure.  Other than that a clogged tank vent or plugged filter might act like that.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RSteiner

The suggestion I have does not fit all the circumstances you are experiencing but it might explain the reason both saws are acting the same.

Have the fuel filters been changed?  There could be enough water trapped in the filters once the saw has run for a while that makes them hard to restart after refueling.  The time taken to refuel the saw and change the spark pug might be long enough to allow some water to leave the filter.

Just my $.02.

Randy
Randy

backpacker

Ok fellas, i have a plan for tomorrow, re-gaping one saw[ new coil] and
dumping the tank on the other, fresh fuel in both from my tank.
Good ideas, surely it will help track it down, how if the rains will allow
time to play......
thanks will update asap on the results.

rebocardo

Have you tried removing the plug and putting the same plug back in and see if it starts and runs? That to me would point to a carb problem, especially since both have had the carbs rebuilt.

Even if both had been rebuilt, it is possible both were rebuilt wrong or both were the wrong kits or both had a defective/wrong part.

Tim L

If you have spark , perhaps you have a cracked fuel line . It happened to me in a spot you can't see (pull line up through grommet slightly and thats where it was ) Luckily I have a great dealer who told me over the phone that Huskys are known for it . (Thanks Wayne Bunten) I was able to shorten the line and keep working until I could get down to Wayne and have it replaced.
Do the best you can and don't look back

PineNut

I have had a lot of problems with leaking fuel lines on Huskys including a string trimmer. I would think that by now, they would put a decent fuel line on their equipment

Rocky_J

You spoke of hoping that the rains would quit so you could work. You're having problems with your saws running. This last year there has been an explosion in the number of carb problems in small equipment due to fuel problems. They have been adding a LOT more ethanol (grain alcohol) this year and ethanol will absorb water out of the atmosphere and then separate from the gasoline. Many gas cans that were 'good enough' last year won't cut it this year. The fuel is bad and getting worse, proper fuel handling is more critical than ever.

If you haven't already, get a couple 'No-Spill' gas cans from Bailey's (link on the left side of the page) or your local saw shop. Keep your fuel protected from temperature extremes and high humidity. Buy your fuel from a high volume dealer, but not the cheapest guy in town (cheap = more ethanol).

backpacker

Hi there: just a little update on the husky's, first  thing is the gas sources are new at least once per month, even after a refill the gas doesn't affect them once a new plug is put in??
anyway i have set the plug at 15 thou as suggested, but now work has become a problem in the enjoyment of my time!
so i won't have a chance to try until mid dec, hopefully we are onto the problem, so till then all be safe, and good news to follow????
regards

Thank You Sponsors!