iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hows every one doing??

Started by Percy, April 02, 2020, 12:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Haven't been around much lately...our news here in Canada is painting a pretty bleak picture of what is happening in parts of the U.S. Im worried for  you and myself...Social distancing is what we are being told  will help control or atleast alieviate the pressure on our health care system..Alot of us are older and more vulnerable to this threat...Stay home everyone and avoid contact with anyone...everyone...so much information and mis information....makes choosing a blade for the sawmill seem easy....

I guess we didnt get to be this old by being stupid....lets sift thru the Admin Edit and figure a way out... Sorry, just watched the news and I am worried for you......and myself :o :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

It's good to hear from you my friend.   :)

All of the other "pros" are doing it so why don't you video a clip for us to watch.    smiley_guitarist
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Hey Percy,

Indeed,  its good to hear from you.
Trying times for certain here in the States and across the world.

I'll "second" MM for a video post.

Stay healthy and be safe,

D

low_48

We're doing okay, getting more stressful going to get groceries. I saw it coming, so stocked our chest freezer over half full, plenty of TP, and even bought hand sanitizer at Menards when they had 2- 28oz bottles for $4. Sadly we got a call from our 86 year old widow neighbor from across the street this morning. She had labored breathing and said she was calling 911 as she thought she had the virus. A fire rescue guy came and suited up to go in the house. Shortly after an ambulance showed up and both of them suited up. She walked out of the house on her own, but they had her suited up and a mask on. It's possible she has pneumonia as she has been transported in the past, but afraid the end could be close at hand for her. We've know her for 42 years. 

Nebraska

Thirds ;)....I enjoy the stuff you do, so I agree with them,  keep your head low. This too will pass, but in its  own time and never fast enough. 

Chuck White

None in this area, I think the closest is some college students in Potsdam!

I think there are 5 of them.

Don't know the full story!

Just my Brother, his SIL, & me, finishing up the sugaring stuff, everythings done except the firewood for next year, and that starts tomorrow, expect 2 days, maybe 3 to get that done!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

firefighter ontheside

Work is stressful.  More confirmed cases in our area every day.  Being a battalion Chief I don't go out on the EMS calls much, so that's good, but I'm worried about my guys.  I'm afraid I'll bring it home to my family.  At home I've been woodworking and milling.  Not bad.  My wife shut down her audiology office, so she's been home doing the kids school at home.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Little Sis and BIL are having to go get my niece tomorrow. The @#$%!! running her university called those with labs back to classes after spring break and the inevitable is happening. There is a whole lot of really poor decision making going on right now.

Vautour

EDITED BY ADMIN ... NO POLITICAL COMMENTS 

Great Time To Be Alive,..things should start turning after EASTER, have faith.
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Peter Drouin

Good to hear from you. I'm cutting wood selling a lot. Road bans are coming down today.  8)
I'm about out of logs. The lull sits in the woods dead I'm using the JD to move wood now.

On a good note, the Hot Rod is almost ready to run down the road.
I'm getting used to living alone with Ann gone.
Everything is ok.
This year there will be more Hot Rod time then sawmill time. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Doing great here. Made a bunch of rugs this winter and waiting for the snow to clear and roads to dry up to go fetch next winter's firewood. Probably be thinning and running lines I suspect as soon as things dry up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

Glad to hear from you.
I'm still busy 
But lots of folks getting laid off from work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Percy

Here you go Magic and DGRLS...Its a Tom Waits song...chorus is kind of appropriate for these times...KIndly disregard "less than stellar" singing....

Hold On - YouTube
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

hacknchop

Thank you Percy I needed that today. We are hanging in there not much positive news lately but I think I'll just "hold on" till this passes . Again Thank You.smiley_clapping
Often wrong never indoubt

Corley5

We're still doing business.  Ag, forest products, energy are essential.  Have enough firewood orders now that I had to start my list.  Winter's coming.  Social distancing just the same.  Maple syrup is about done.  Kids are home from school until next fall.  Spouse is essential and working from home.  I've had more home cooking the past couple weeks than I've had in years.  Have to keep moving or I'm going to fatten up.  Stay Safe Everyone.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I am doing ok but the isolation is really wearing on me. I live alone in a small apartment so don't have home projects to keep me busy. I get out with the dog more frequently, she keeps me active, but have to watch the eating as I need to lose more weight. A six pack has to last all week.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Thank You Percy for that song reminding us to "Hold On".  PatD and I enjoyed it together.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 03, 2020, 11:27:57 AM
I am doing ok but the isolation is really wearing on me. I live alone in a small apartment so don't have home projects to keep me busy. I get out with the dog more frequently, she keeps me active, but have to watch the eating as I need to lose more weight. A six pack has to last all week.
This is a good time to live in the country! We have 2 homes, one is a small farm surrounded by other farms and our second home is on a 50' x 100' lot near the beach, they both have good points but right now I'm sure glad we are on the farm.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

low_48

If you read my post earlier I commented how my elderly neighbor was taken away in full protective gear. Great news! She came home yesterday! We are letting her rest before getting details, but two women brought her home and no one was wearing masks. I'm guessing asthma or pneumonia? Good to see her walk back on her own power. But since she was in the hospital, I won't be going over there soon. Edit: Wife talked to her, she has walking pneumonia. Asked about the experience, "It was scary as hell"

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

We are doing okay here. More restrictions put in place in Ontario, they have cut the list of essiential service buisness in half. All major constructions sites are down, except for Hospitals.
 A few sawmill jobs have cancelled on me. I have few customer's wood kiln dried and waiting pick up and of course money for me. 
I have a wood for the kiln for the next 2 months, mine for my new house and a 1 customers big logs. 
Take care!
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks Percy, nothing wrong with the singing.
All OK here in the swamp.
WE are stayin home except for docs appts.
Being 200 miles from our NYC epicenter there are not very many cases here YET.
Syracuse area about 25 mi away has 359 now but Cortland only 14 so far.
A few deaths mainly in those with  health issues.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Sedgehammer

8% increase today. 1,252. Increase of 93. The 2 counties around us has about 450 cases. 

Our good friend's family prolly has it. His wife got it first. Diarrhea. Achy. Fever. She's improving. He's got it worse and still getting worse. Throat feels like he swallowed razors. Chest hurts. He had to use their little boys inhaler last night to breath. They both were prescribed a z-pak. 
My wife and sister in law both had diarrhea for about 5 days each. My wife first, SIL 2nd. No other symptoms besides that for them and none for the rest of us. Doubt if they/we actually had it, since there were no other symptoms from anyone else. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Corley5

Loss of sense of taste and smell are common symptoms even if all others are mild or non existent. 

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

Corley5

It was her loss of smell and taste that led a good friend of ours to go for testing and it was those symptoms that made the medical staff test her.  She's positive and the worst seems to be over for her at this point. 

doc henderson

most of the testing we are doing is negative, but there is a high false negative rate.  may just be too early to have enough antigen for the quickly developed tests.  I would not be surprised if we find that in the end, everyone had it.  It is very contagious, and often asymptomatic.  so many with no symptoms are positive, and a percentage with a negative test.  No treatments have be "proven"  and only those who are ill are being considered for treatment.  One rule in medicine is do not do a test if it does not change treatment.  the benefit of a + test is to quarantine people who are positive for the virus, including and especially healthcare workers.  A quarantine for a + test is very different than a shelter in place and social distancing.  ask people from a recent cruise!  In the end, we will know what % of Americans had this virus.  we are still awaiting our peak, and with enough social distancing it may be an incline instead.  the healthcare system can handle this better.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Well added excitement that we didn't need. Lil's Mother fell down her house steps today. Luckily her neighbour heard the commotion and came to check as she couldn't get up again. 

Called an ambulance for her, and they wanted to know it it was really needed. Yes, they didn't want to pick her up without a medic check her, and she was bleeding from several wounds. 

Anyway, she got taken to hospital, and checked out. Multiple stitches in her head and hand, a small fracture in her arm, and a stubbed toe. She says the toe hurts the most. Wasn't admitted, and is home now, arm is sling and not to use it for 3 weeks. 

But it's tough with the lockdown, Lil can't go and visit. Her other daughter couldn't go with her to the hospital (no visitors). But other daughter lives at home, neighbour is in the same "isolation bubble", so she's not stuck by herself, and the injuries weren't as serious as they could have been. 

And no new cases in our province over the weekend, and numbers appear to be dropping for the rest of the country. Still at least 19 more days of lockdown to get though though. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

I hope everyone recovers fully!  Regards Sir!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Best wishes and speedy recovery to your MIL. Sometimes it seems like all other ailments cease while COVID-19 is happening. :-X

dgdrls

Quote from: Percy on April 03, 2020, 09:40:50 AM
Here you go Magic and DGRLS...Its a Tom Waits song...chorus is kind of appropriate for these times...KIndly disregard "less than stellar" singing....

Hold On - YouTube
Awesome Percy,  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Thank-you

pineywoods

Been on a stay home mandate for years due to being 24/7 caregiver, so nothing new there. What has changed is the isolation. There's only been 2 outsiders on our place in the past 3 weeks. One was a neighbor who stopped by to ask if we needed anything from town. The other was son of a local farmer who came to pick up a handicap scooter for his dad. His dad recently lost both legs due to diabetes and was having difficulty getting around the farm in a manual wheel chair. I sent him a used but serviceable handicap scooter. Both men stayed in their trucks.
The local grocery store(19 miles away) just implemented a call in order curbside pickup program. I've used that a couple of times to replenish the food supply. $100 worth of groceries and never get out of the car. Only problem, the shelves are getting bare. They back ordered a bunch of items..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sawyerfortyish

Staying on the farm. I'm 70 miles from nyc its not safe to really go anyplace unless its out in the woods to get logs. Our town is one of the last places in NJ that had no positives until last week now we have three.  A local nursing home has had 70 deaths in about 10 days there are 135 more positives in the same home. They have about 500 elderly there. I know of two people that have died. it seems that everyone knows somebody that has died. This is no joke stay home. there is no way business can open back up here at least for awhile (weeks).

LIL

Day 25 of Lockdown at Level 4 - I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok!!  Bin day, my biggest social outing of the week.  Doing ok here in Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand  

LIL   :)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Sixacresand

Except for body pains we are doing great.  Gas is cheap and food is not a problem.  Soap or paper products are extremely scarce.  Church is live streamed, no School, but government offices all seem to be open.  Local manufacturing plant is still operating.  Hardware, Lawn and garden stores are booming.   they say gov'ment check is in the mail.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Stephen1

I am slowly starting to saw wood for people. The government check has arrived and hopefully it is the last one I need. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

goose63

Things are fine here I'm social saw dusting at my mill but not to day looks like rain with a cold N W wind
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

So far we have had one case in our county. I think he/she died as at one point I saw a list showing death by county then they quit showing that detail. 

We are doing well. Go to the grocery store about once a week. It stays well stocked so no shortage issues there for us. Wife has made several quilts and such while in lock down, I had one very good mobile job 2.7 miles away and have sold a little lumber from stock and keep piddling around here. Local son, DIL and 3 GDs doing fine. Daughter, SIL and 2 grandkids in Charlotte are fine but she works at a local children's hospital and her work and diaper supply are always a little more strained.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Oliver05262

I planned to wind down my service commitments at the end of last week so I could hang out at home for a while. Plans changed when I got home on Wednesday with a fever, sore throat, and no energy at all. I called my Doctor's office (they are all working from home), and the Doc called me back to listen to the symptoms I had, and made the recommendation to remain in our home, and to virtually live in separate rooms; use separate bathrooms, and eat & sleep in our own rooms. He said to call him if my condition worsened. 
  My temperature never exceeded 102.6 on Thursday and gradually dropped until today it was back to normal. Now to get rehydrated, and maybe I can get back to "normal". I did get a chance to catch up on sleep, and test the mattress in one room("we make the kids sleep on that when they visit?") and we'll help some store when things open up again. I am going to still take the next week off, maybe two, in hopes that the danger lessens.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Bruno of NH

Oliver
Sorry to hear this
What yourselves please
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moodnacreek

Oliver, thought you would be safe up in VT.  Also thought we would meet this year. Hope you come through quickly. 

moodnacreek

The problem with my wood business is that most people are home and want wood for projects. If the order is simple and they have been here before, I put the wood at the end of drive and they hide the money. A few have driven over the cones to get in here and see how close they can get to me. This gets ugly. At this time our health is worth more than $. I do feel for those with payments and no income. Boy do I need a haircut.

Sawyerfortyish

5 days ago in my town there was 3 positives. This morning there is almost 800. I think ill find a hole in the log pile crawl in and stay it'll be safer.

Corley5

I was going to protest our lock down in Gaylord today but was asked/told by my wife and my mother not to.  Mom is in her 70s and diabetic.  Gaylord is THE hotspot for the Virus in Northern Michigan.  I don't want to get sick and I surely don't want my Mom to.  So firewood it is. 

WV Sawmiller

The latest update here in WV as of 2 hours ago was 988 cases and 32 deaths. We still have only had one case in our county and I understood he/she died from it. Most of our cases have been in the northern and eastern areas closer to DC and Baltimore.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gump

Doing OK here all things considered! My wife is compromised, so we were able to spend about 4 weeks at the cabin in solitary. It was a good test of our solar power capability etc.. Unfortunately had to head out for me to start work. I have to be extremely careful and am following all protocols to ensure our safety. The virus took a back seat here this week with the worst mass shooting in Canadian history happening here in Nova Scotia. Very disturbing. With such a small province we all speak of 3 degrees of separation here ( as opposed to 6) as we all know of someone affected. Our thoughts are with all the 22 victims, friends, and first responders. Grieving process is also compromised as we can't get together for funerals etc.. SO sad and is very upsetting as all Nova Scotia are hurting.

WV Sawmiller

I got an e-mail from an Aussie buddy in or near Melbourne today to the effect after 27 days in lockdown his garbage collector dropped him off a note on his trash suggesting he try recycling - cheeky devil. :D
Howard Green

rykermcdermott

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 25, 2020, 09:16:29 AM
  I got an e-mail from an Aussie buddy in or near Melbourne today to the effect after 27 days in lockdown his garbage collector dropped him off a note on his trash suggesting he try recycling - cheeky devil. :D
LOL, that's pretty good. Speaking of recycling, I have noticed a lot more alcohol in people's recycling bins (open top bins) these days. I made a conscious effort to not go down that route as I can imagine how easily alcohol consumption would rise during lock down.

Thank You Sponsors!