iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Luke's Project

Started by Magicman, April 24, 2021, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Most of you know that Grandson Luke worked with me for the entire Summer last year.  He was the best tailgunner that anyone could ever ask for and we enjoyed working together. 

Luke is completing his High School Senior Year and the sawmill came to the rescue with a few items for his Senior Party.

First up was lumber for building axe throwing targets.

Next we slabbed the top and two sides off of a log and notched it for the sawmill blade.

And proceeded to saw the first section out.

The first section is cut.

And removed from the cant.

Making the blade notch for the second cut.

Making the second cut.

And removed the second block.  Next we reattached the two sides and used the blocks for the "feet"

The sawmill strikes again and Luke's drink cooler is complete.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

All you're lacking is benches and bonfire wood.
Oh, maybe that's a different kind of senior party  :D

Walnut Beast

Magicman

Quote from: Don P on April 24, 2021, 10:03:25 PMAll you're lacking is benches and bonfire wood.
I would not be surprised if all of my leftover firewood came up missing.  I wouldn't say anything either.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Bring the cooler back and make a planter out of it. If the fire don't get to it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Dang it!  Now I have to do that.  Not necessarily as a cooler, but some sort of box.  I've made lots of bandsaw boxes, but never a sawmill box.  I hadn't thought of using the chainsaw to help.  I wonder if I have any logs laying around.  Maybe a small walnut log that I wouldn't have milled otherwise.  How did you put it back together.  Screws, glue, liquid nail?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 25, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
Dang it!  Now I have to do that.  Not necessarily as a cooler, but some sort of box.  I've made lots of bandsaw boxes, but never a sawmill box.  I hadn't thought of using the chainsaw to help.  I wonder if I have any logs laying around.  Maybe a small walnut log that I wouldn't have milled otherwise.  How did you put it back together.  Screws, glue, liquid nail?
Somebody is excited about the possibilities!
MM, good for you and Luke! Great ideas.

Magicman

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 25, 2021, 08:52:16 AMHow did you put it back together. Screws?
Yes, screws.  6" for the sides and 8" for the feet.

Magicman

The axe throwing targets have been built

and are ready to be transported, erected, and the braces installed.

samandothers

This may have been stated in one of the threads and I missed it or maybe forgot it....  What is Luke planning to do post high school?

Bruno of NH

Yes will he be helping you this summer ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I hope so Jim, but even he might not know yet.  He will be in college this Fall.

samandothers

College is a good learning experience.  He is a smart guy given his family influences.  I look forward to hearing about his experiences! 

WV Sawmiller

Neat cooler! I hope you saved the top slab for a top/lid for the cooler. Attach a couple of long stickers to the underside along the edges and it should make a tight seal. I haven't figured out the handles yet.

I may steal that idea on a smaller single version and see if they sell at the flea market or such. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Handles would not help because that cooler is just as heavy as the log was minus the kerf.  :o

Luke's axe throwing targets are coming along quite nicely.

Magicman

samandothers

Glad to see he moved it out from in front of the window!

He's good!  I would have missed or slammed the handle into the target! 

Polish Hammer1

I seen the cooler log this am and when I was off work today at 130pm I had a smaller pine on the mill I made into the exact same thing... except the wife said thatd be great by the pond so made it kinda of crude but I think it is a great idea and looks great... sorry can't figure pictures out but looks great from afar thanks magic!

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I was suggesting handles on the top/lid only, not the whole heavy cooler/planter. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Da party was a complete success!!

Luke taking aim.

Scoring hits.

And da drink cooler was Awesome.  

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Looks like fun being had!  Good job!

Don P

Uhh guys, if you're not over there talking to those ladies they're over there talking about you  :D.

Magicman

T'was a good time enjoyed by all;

Even some of da Grandparents.

samandothers

Wait!  There were a bunch of young folk in the earlier picture.  What happened in the next picture they all turned old!  :D

Glad all ages had fun!

gspren

Quote from: samandothers on May 02, 2021, 10:20:28 PM
Wait!  There were a bunch of young folk in the earlier picture.  What happened in the next picture they all turned old!  :D

Glad all ages had fun!
There was a "time warp" and he captured a pic of the 50th class reunion.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

boonesyard

MM,

Thanks for the great thread! I will be doing one for my nieces grad party in a month, perfect timing. I've got a white oak that will be perfect for this, and then my wife ways it WILL be retired to a planter  :)
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!