iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK Jack Frost.....

Started by fuzzybear, December 02, 2007, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I think he's nipping at everything today.   Just woke up and had to throw alot of wood in the stove. The temperature is at a nice cool -33c/-28f  and is supposed to drop to -40c/f tonight.   8) 8) 8)
Good news is it's supposed to warm back up to -25c on thursday. Then I'll be back out cutting firewood again.  8) 8) 8)
Funny thing how nothing mechanical wants to run in this temperature ::). I think I'll take a clue from this and hibernate for a couple of days. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Interesting how it feels better when the temp comes up 10°, after being so cold. As long as the wind doesn't get too strong.. Friday morning when Burlkraft showed up with his WM, it was about 15°F and 30 mph wind, and that was cold...but as the wind calmed down and turning the big elm logs with the LogRite's, it steadily "warmed up" and was right down pleasant. Yesterday morning it was 11°F and windy, and this morning it is 35°F and calm...seems just too DanG warm... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

fuzzybear, I hear ya.  We have been in da deep freeze for the past week. Temps have been in the -18C to -32C range before the winds.  Out here on the prairies we get plenty of winds too.  I'm guessing that it was ore like -40C a couple of days.  Yesterday it was fairlly calm and only about -19C so it felt warm. ;)  And yes,  I agree, hibernation seems to be the answer for those kinds of days.  Hopefully we don't get too any of them to allow cabin fever to set in. :o

Environment Canada says we are to get a very cold winter with only average precipitation.  Hope they are wrong.  Would rather have lots of snow and warmer temps.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jim king

I am looking out the window right now and it looks like a few inches of rain in the next half hour or so and we havn´t even covered the tomatoes at night yet.  Orchids are doing well and just had a new hatch of turtles march thru the patio.  The bad part is we need a refrigerator to keep the beer cold.

sawguy21

Sounds like you lead a hard life. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timburr

Jim, you're on par with Crtreedude.  He seems to enjoy "gloating" about his weather!!  :D
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

You guys on the prairies have to plant some softwoods around the yard for wind shelter. It makes quite a difference on the heat bill. Do you guys just hate trees? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdust

Hey Coon, the good thiinng about environment canada is that they are almost always wrong. So, if they forecast misery we might actually have a decent winter!

sawdust -22c
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

leweee

Quote from: jim king on December 02, 2007, 01:54:06 PM
  The bad part is we need a refrigerator to keep the beer cold.
;D Jim.....This time of year we use the frig to keep the beer from FREEZING.  ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jim king

Lewee

I know I grew up a few miles south of Lake Superior.  I actually miss it.  Ice fishing is my favorite pastime.

fuzzybear

well it's official.....I'm hibernating until at least thursday. The thermometer was at -48c  at 5:00 this morning.  go_away whiteflag_smiley

Jim I shure could use some more pictures of the rain forest and those wonderful trees you have around you.  Gets kinda boring looking at spruce and birch all day every day.
I save all the pictures for my children to see when they get old enough to understand. This January when we fish for lake trout I'll post some pictures for you. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Coon

Swamp,  I can only have so many trees planted here in town. :D  But yeah you would figure that more people would plant shelterbelt trees out here on the prairies.  Gov't doesn't even have all too many incentives with this either.

sawdust, yup think that Environment Canada is predicting weather in Siberia or  something.  We are under a storm warning right now.  Calling for heavy snow this afternoon through till tomorrow night. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Geesh Coon, a thousand softwood trees in containers are only $150, and a dibble bar can be made from anything on the scrap iron pile. All it takes is a day to sink'm in. Borrow someones Christmas tree planter. ;D I wonder how white pine would do up there. You might not have weevils, but they do attack spruce as well as white pine so they may be up there. The only prairie province with native white pine is Manitoba down in the southeast on the edge of the hardwood belt. I suggest white pine because they grow faster than spruce and are more wind firm than spruce or fir.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!