iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks to Furby

Started by Jeff, March 21, 2013, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

About 4 years ago (I think, but I'm sure Furby will refresh my memory) Furby gave me some slabs of different stuff he had dried to use for wood burning projects or what ever. Yesterday, I was looking at one, which I'm pretty sure is cherry, and though, "Hey, that might make a shelf to go under that there picture"  So I thought about it a little bit, then pulled my boots on and grabbed a shovel and wandered out to my stash of cedar buried under a bunch of snow and dug a chunk out. I brought it in and put it in front of the fireplace over night to melt off the remaining bits of snow and dry it off.  Today I cut 2-6" chunks out of it and then put those in the microwave for 3 minutes on, 5 minutes off, for a series of 10 times. Each time with fresh paper towel under them By the 10th time, I was no longer getting moisture on the paper towel, and the wood seemed perfectly dry and quite a bit lighter. It also had been piled out on my little woodlot for at least 3 or 4 years.

Anyhow, with the slab Furby gave me, and two chunks of cedar, I made the shelf below.  I think it came out good.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Perfect!  That turned out very good.  It is amazing how creative that you are  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

fuzzybear

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

pasbuild

Jeff how did you anchor the cedar?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

clww

That looks great, Jeff. I can't believe you ran out of room on the mantel! :D :D :) :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: pasbuild on March 21, 2013, 10:33:14 PM
Jeff how did you anchor the cedar?

I should of took a photo of that. I'll see if I can describe it. I had a small "L" bracket here. I cut it at the bend two give me to small steel rectangles, each with a hole in it. I drilled the holes out just big enough that the screw head for the molies I had here would fit through it. I then used the dremel to grind a slot at one end of the hole only large enough for the screw shaft, but not big enough for the head. This way the head of the screw passes through the hole, and when you slide the bracket down, it traps the head.  I marked out on the back of the cedar where I wanted the brackets, then used the dremel again to plow out a place for it. I then drilled out one end, so once the bracket was attached to the cedar, there would be a hollow for the screw head to fit into, and slide to lock the bracket on the screw.   I then used gorilla glue to glue the bracket into the cedar. Probably a better way would have been to have two holes, and screw them on, but I just worked with what I had.

So, all you have to do is put a molly in the drywall, put the screw in, and leave the head out just enough, that you can slip the head through the bracket as you push the cedar against the wall, then slide down the cedar to latch the bracket to the screw. Wah-lah. You have a small cedar log end hanging on the wall.  :)

This probably did not make any sense at all. :D

clww

Made perfect sense to me.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

Nicely done, Jeff. You didn't make it overly large, so it looks elegant in that setting.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

isawlogs

Sure it did, you made a keyway hole in a bracket and fitted it to your shelf and Wah-lah ( Voila....  correct spelling ) ;D 

It looks great Jeff, nice to have stock laying around for just those brilliant ideas we have from time to time .  smiley_lit_bulb smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Nice work Jeff, something like that is always special when it's from a good friend like Jason.

terrifictimbersllc

Looks great. Nice to take time to do something with your own wood rather than someone else's.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like we say down here....."now that's country!" Very NICE.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I think it came out nice too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

I like that, too... alot. My wife has ideas for shelves like that but, I come up with some complicated mounting device in my head and give up on it. Thanks for the simple solution.

I also like the picture frames, the bench, the wood paneling... the whole wall looks great. smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ely

i also like the decor in your home.

Jeff

We've been doing some little interior projects this winter, Actually, mostly in the last month or so. Being almost 50 lbs lighter is giving me pent up energy I have to get rid of some how. :D  We've even built a new wall in the house between our kitchen area and our office area. I'll have to post some photos soon of some of that.  The Mini Museum topic that Loggah posted a while back inspired me to go to the storage unit and bring home a bunch of stuff we moved out when we were trying to sell the house and move to the U.P.  We now have decided to stay right where we are. Before the stuff was just sitting around from room to room, sometimes in piles. We're trying to find pleasing ways to present things this time. We had a lot of stuff filed or tucked in closets that we have been framing as well.  An example would be the 1943 our America Lumber Industry print issued by Coca-Cola print above the new shelf.

clww

Where did you find that print?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Nice shelf, and your keyhole hanger description makes perfect sense.

My sister had some shelves made from driftwood boards and used old horse shoes for the brackets.

You probably know this already that you can buy the keyhole hangers at the hardware store but I thought I would put it out there for anyone that did not know.

There is also a keyhole router bit that works quite well, cedar end grain would not be the best place to use it.

Jeff

Quote from: clww on March 22, 2013, 01:16:50 PM
Where did you find that print?

It was in a little antique store in Goetzville Mi about 20 years ago. The store is now closed up. I actually got 5 prints. 2 of them had duplicates. One of them we framed and gave away as a prize for a contest a few years ago.  Not sure who won that now. It could be searched. They are pretty cool images.

I searched it. Pasbuild actually won it in 2006 Christmas Contest.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22635.0.html

I gave next to nothing for them then. Today they are getting to be pretty valuable.

clww

Great looking print. That's the kind I like to see, same as most others on here I'm sure. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Busy Beaver Lumber

I really like that shelf Jeff. Very cleaver idea and unique look
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Lud

Nicely crafted, Jeff. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!