iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a walnut door

Started by tule peak timber, September 15, 2019, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Very nice work Sir. Just need to get you closer so I can sell you wood. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tule peak timber

Tony and Jackson carved on the door panels this morning. This is going to take several days.

I started to develop the jamb legs from two of the ugly slabs. Standard "resaw and flip" reversing the grain for stability- this tames an angry tree. Once inside the slabs I was surprised at the character of the wood.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

Always amazed at how your work comes out.

Nebraska

Your projects make me remember  how amazing the gift of sight is. Thank you for the pictures. 

tule peak timber

Thanks for the kind words ! Today I started going through all of the scrap, defect cutting and prepping for finger jointing. These end jointed staves will be used for stop material and other frame parts.I hate to waste wood......

DWyatt

fishfighter

Just how much you think the door will weigh? :o

tule peak timber

I did some calcs before I started and the weight was scary heavy. Figure 3 inches X 48 X 108 of solid dry walnut worst case say 300 + pounds. I did an original design with hollow coring and I'm shaving even more weight as I build. I will weigh the separate parts for a close estimate before assembly.
   To answer your question- I don't know yet. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

I have repeatedly advised the client that as his homes  front door, his arms will look like Popeye after use. :D 

btulloh

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 25, 2019, 10:05:41 AM
I have repeatedly advised the client that as his homes  front door, his arms will look like Popeye after use. :D
Hydraulic assist,   :D
HM126

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ManjiSann

The grain on that last piece in post 26 is just amazing! Is it a finish or water to see how it would look?

This is an amazing build and I too want to thank you for bringing us along!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

tule peak timber

The grain pic in #26 is BLO wiped on one of the "veneers" I'm developing for the frame .We pulled off of this door project for a few weeks to mill material for another job. I store the "veneers ' under cantilevered weights to keep them flat during our weather fluctuations this time of year. Juggling jobs right now !

jbjbuild

Beautiful work! Very impressive and inspirational!
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

tule peak timber

So yesterday I dropped back in on the walnut door build by  batch cutting parts to build up the frame torsion box style. Lots of parts means proper collation and marking with chalk. The "skins" for the frame pieces came out of drying in my makeshift press looking pretty good . One advantage of a sliding saw is that multiple jigs can be set up at the same time.

WDH

In that last pic, that is what you will look like if you eat too much fermented squid :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Glue up today on the center of the door. It was about one year ago that this walnut came in as a truckload....

Walnut Beast

That Looks really nice!!!!!!!

thecfarm

That women on the right is looking at The Door the same way I am. Now that A Door!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KODAK

Wow this is awesome. New world I've never been exposed to. Can anyone give me a 5th grader explanation on why walnut is used for grafting or what purpose is served by grafting walnut? 
 More photos please!!

Magicman

To be absolutely sure what fruit/nut a tree will produce a graft has to come from a donor tree producing that fruit/nut.  Also some root systems produce better so again a known hardy "stump" is used. 

That is my 3rd grade  :P  explanation and I am sticking with it.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

The nut bearing top portion is actually from ancient Persia. This is  called English walnut and how it came by that name is convoluted. The nut bearing top produces large uniform, commercially viable, commercially processable nuts with which we are all familiar. The problem with the Persian (English) walnut trees is that they are susceptible to a variety of soil borne pathogens that the native CA walnut (Claro) is immune to. To get the volume and quality of nut production for a commercial operation (orchard), a couple of varieties of tops are grafted to the native CA walnut to get the best of both worlds. The older grafted trees are highly prized for gunstocks and the burls end up in the dashboards of a Mercedes Benz or a Rolls Royce . The picture below is a typical old growth CA orchard walnut tree. I will have a couple more pics of the finished door shortly. Cheers, Rob

Stephen1

Nice door! Thanks for the explanation on grafting.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tule peak timber

First coat of colored oil today... 8)

Thank You Sponsors!