iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Convert LT40 Walk-Behind to Remote?

Started by DR Buck, August 21, 2014, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I don't ever remember seeing anything posted on this, and Wood-Mizer doesn't offer a 'Mod kit'.   But,  I'm wondering has anyone ever done a conversion on an LT40 hydraulic to change it from a walk-behind control console to a remote  where it's all mounted on the front end of the mill?   Not sure if this is something I'd like to take on or upgrade to a mill that already has a remote.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dave Shepard

I don't know about converting to the Command station, but there was some discussion about adding Wireless. It was a good chunk of change to do it. I suspect that it would be better to trade up. When I was looking for a used mill, about all I could find in the Super/70 series mill was the Command station, there are a lot of them out there. I need to run a 24' bed extension, so I can't use that. I have the wireless, and wouldn't have it any other way, but that is what works for me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

Yep, done that, wireless with homebuilt parts no less. Already have home-made hydraulics, so why not ? Are you thinking remote console, or wireless remote control? The other option is whether the remote can control the hydraulics. To do so would require changing out all the hydraulic control valves. Mine is an infra-red wireless link rather than rf like wm uses. There's posts with pics in the sawmill forum. I'll see if I can post a link. Lessons learned... Not really useful unless you have setworks. I don't have setworks, so I don't use the remote very much. To upgrade to either wireless or hardwired remote console using off-the shelf wm parts would be possible but totally impractical. Trade up.. Now if you are interested in building your own, been there, done that. It really isn't all that difficult, especially for fixed location...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brucer

The local WM dealer here helped a customer do the conversion. Basically the dealer made a list of all the spare parts used in the Remote mill. Then the customer converted things as far as he could a bit at a time, buying the parts as he went. Eventually he got to the point where he had to  buy the remaining parts all at one go and finish the job. Apparently it cost roughly $6000 CDN, but that was a few years ago.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!