iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Updated Website!

Started by MemphisLogger, January 27, 2005, 10:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

With all this talk about updating the FF, I finally decided to redo mine and bring it up to date.

http://www.scottbanbury.com/index.html

Please take a look and let me know if y'all see any boo boos.

Especially please check out my page on custom sawing and the downloadable handouts on qsawing, drying and my contract and let me know if I've goit anything wrong.  

Thanks!
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

leweee

Scott... looks like a winner to me.... love the company logo, the pics & the map in the location link.... even a picture of Elvis, Scott you got it all. 8) Now if I didn't live so far away I'd be rattlen your door for some of that Red Cedar 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

MemphisLogger

Thanks lewee!

Maybe I'll bring you a couple sticks next time I head for the great white north  ;D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Larry

Scott,
I have always liked your web site.  This revision really looks great with a lot of interesting content...both for woodworkers and sawyers.  I think your pictures are the right size, sharp, and load fast.  

This is personal preference...I have to scroll because your site is to big for the 800 X 600 resolution on my monitor.   I hate to scroll.  I am running counters on a couple of my web sites and according to the tracking around 28% of the browsers are set for 800 X 600.  Just something to think about.  
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Buzz-sawyer

Diagram of our typical layour when sawing on site
 Is the word layour french for layout?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Cedarman

Scott, that nice clear cedar is in high demand by kayak builders. I don't know where kayak builders hand out on the web, but you mighy make some contacts there.  They pay well.  It is not a high volume market, but we hand onto ours.

Also, there is a demand by flute makers for 2x2 x2' and longer clear cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Cedarman

I lost all my manners when I saw that beautiful cedar.

That is a nice website!!!  Leaves no doubt about what you can do.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

I'm still working my way through your site and those large 1000 + mbfm oaks are no small potatoes. Anything that big up here is nice wooden culverts with mineralized heart. Very rare that hardwood that big in my area are sound. I can usually reach my arm inside alot of them. Just thought I'de let ya know how fortunate ya are. :D

You southern boys sure like working a chainsaw in shorts and sneakers. Believe me, it might be Dang cold up here in winter, but it's Dang hot in summer too, but I always wear protection. At times when the sweat's run'in down the crack of the unknown, on a hot day,  it's awefully tempting to peal. [Well I had to add a little humour] :D

UL,

Canoe builders also like that cedar too, but I think they buy mostly northern white cedar as I see on Maine PBS. Alot of it comes from Northern NB, it's a very up and down market.

Read over your pages with a different set of eyes, I do see some mis-spellings, but your layout looks great, as well as the content. 8)

Cedarman:
Some areas to the north have some pretty large diameter cedar for this region. 30 inches is very exceptional, the average is closer to 8 inches, very slow growing (150 + yrs) I cringe when I see cedar clearcuts up here because balsam poplar usually invades and its so slow to establish new cedar.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

your site is great, I really like the tree cycle philosophy, I'm trying to get set up like that with a few local tree companies, I'm getting into this stuff as a hobbyist, I have always hated to see bueatiful trees get chopped up for firewood.

how long did it take you to get built up with your local arborists?

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Sawing Logz

Excellent job Scott. You have it all covered. I liked the three options you offer up for quarter sawing. Great web site start. I am trying to get more down time to saw the logz. I will check back at your web site .

Thankx, Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

billbobtlh

It looks great so far. Check under custom sawing.
The link to diagram, you misspelled layout.

Kirk_Allen

Urban Logger,
Great looking site.

One very minor things:
the photo of the red oak has a description above it that reads:

"Sawing this one Red Oak log in Hein Park resulted in more almost 1000 board feet of lumber"

I think you may have meant to say it resulted in more than 1000 board feet of lumber.  I think the word "almost" should be changed to the word "than".  

I remember that photo from you post when you did it.  I bet the customer has to be on cloud nine knowing the history.

MemphisLogger

Thanks for all the proofreading and positive comments!

Y'all make a guy feel great  8)

Since I posted the request for input here and Woodweb, Woodcentral, Sawmill Creek and WoodNet yesterday, I've received a good 2 dozen requests for lumber--a few local, most to be shipped to hardwood-poor parts of the country and a couple requests for custom sawing.  ;D

I've also been solicited to join a bunch of selling boards--too much money though  :(

I also just got my application back from Smartwood to become a FSC certified "Rediscovered" wood seller and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it--almost $2000 up front and $100/year. It would put me on the top of the local list for all architects building to LEED standards so the cabinetry and millwork genearted would pay it off on the first job  :P

Be good!    

Tom_Averwater

Scott,
        Nice web site. It looks good.  Tom :)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Kirk_Allen

etat

UrbanLogger, I REALLY like yer website. I 'think' I said that I liked it over on the old houseplace but I'm afraid it got lost when we was a moving.  :)

Glad to hear that it's doing good for you! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

MemphisLogger

Quote from: Cedarman on January 27, 2005, 01:44:17 PM
Scott, that nice clear cedar is in high demand by kayak builders. I don't know where kayak builders hand out on the web, but you mighy make some contacts there.  They pay well.  It is not a high volume market, but we hand onto ours.

Also, there is a demand by flute makers for 2x2 x2' and longer clear cedar.

Cedarman,

Are you talking about my ERC or the few out-of-bounds Port Orfords I've got on the site.

I was planning on stripping a canoe and maybe a small sail-dinghy for myself (kids) out of the ERC when I first sawed it but was advised that the resin content of ERC would cause lamination problems with the epoxy.

My Port Orfords are bound for stripping some canoes and kayaks since nobody seems to have any problems glassing it.

Do you think I could stri[p with the ERC? It sure would be pretty. I was thinking that if I wiped it down with acetone just before layup that I might beat back the oils just enough (?)

Thanks! 

MemphisLogger

Quote from: cktate on January 29, 2005, 11:27:42 AM
UrbanLogger, I REALLY like yer website. I 'think' I said that I liked it over on the old houseplace but I'm afraid it got lost when we was a moving.  :)

Glad to hear that it's doing good for you! :)

Thanks Charles!

When ya gonna come up and see me sometime?

I need some advise on my roof(s)  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!