iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing a tree leaning into another

Started by jhellwig, December 15, 2023, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhellwig

So how do I go about taking this down without killing myself?  The leaning one is still intact but leaning into the fork of another oak tree 25 to 30 feet up.  The straight one snapped off and is on the ground.  I just bought this place this year and have about 8 acres of woods that are full of leaning double trunk stuff like this.  I do have a tractor and would like to not damage the tree it is leaning into as it is still good. 

Maybe a dumb question but after my last time using a chainsaw a couple of months ago it seams I have forgotten a lot about taking down trees.  Sitting in the woods hunting showed me lots of stuff that needs cleaned up out there. 
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

bluthum

If it were on my property I'd leave it alone unless there were some very compelling reasons it needed to be removed.

Magicman

One option would be to girdle/poison the offending tree and let it die/rot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Hard to make an assessment without being there and seeing the surroundings. Also involves some good chainsaw handling experience.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: jhellwig on December 15, 2023, 06:08:07 PMMaybe a dumb question but after my last time using a chainsaw a couple of months ago it seams I have forgotten a lot about taking down trees.

Nope, first thing about cutting down trees is to recognise the hazards. That mess has "DANGER" written all over it, and you have identified this. That counts as a pass before you even start your saw.

Walk away is a valid option. Girdle the leaner so it dies and rots sooner, then walk away is also an option.  If it's leaning over something important, then it's crane / arbourist work to take it down in pieces.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

B.C.C. Lapp

First off if your not confident you can pull it off without harm, don't mess with it. But it can be taken down with out to much trouble.

With out some real equipment you'll not take the leaner down without damaging the other tree.   They will both have to come down together.   

I would go to the tree supporting first. Notch on which ever side the leaning tree and the supporting tree will fall towards. DONT notch them toward each other or away from each other. Got to be to the side they will both want to fall to. So notch the support tree. Then bore it behind the notch.  We aint worried about fiber pull here so leave a good stout hinge.  Now go to the leaner.  Notch it on the same side.  Then bore it if your able.  Leave enough on the back to keep her hanging there.   Now go back to the supporter, don't turn your back on this mess, watch and listen in case it just decides to go.  Be ready and have your escape route clear.   Now release the back cut on the supporter and walk away from the direction of fall. Did it all come down? If it did great. If it didn't just go back to the leaner and release the back cut and now it will come down and real quick.   Be gone when it does. 

But remember I do this for a living and handle situations like this often.  What looks like  straight forward manageable plan may not be that way for a guy that does this once in a while.   So like I said if this seems like a something maybe you shouldn't tackle then stay away from it.  Live to cut another day.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

jhellwig

The leaner isn't into the other tree yet and I don't think the fork it will land in will support it.  I might just leave it alone for now.  It is in the area that my kids love to wander through.  They love being out in the woods so I want to make it better for them. 

I am going to have to get a pole saw and remove dead branches out of every oak tree on the place.  There is a ton of dead standing stuff that needs removed.

Ron Wenrich

Looks like a good den tree.  Those trees don't use any sunlight or moisture, but return a good home for wildlife.  Even when they fall over.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

KEC

I understand your concern for your kids' safety;priority for sure. As Ron W. says, those dead standing trees that are full of holes are important for birds and critters for shelter and nest sites. I keep the trails open on my neighbors' trails as he isn't up to it any more. A few years ago a dead tree fell and lodged firmly in another in a crotch over the trail. I studied heck out of it for probably 3 or 4 years. As could be predicted, the forces of time, gravity, fungi and bacteria  finally brought it down. I promptly cut  it up and piled it up off the trail for critters to shelter under it. And I'm here to tell about it.

Machinebuilder

I've got a dead tree like that first picture.

Every day when the dogs take me for a walk they stop and check that tree.

Many times they chase a squirrel either to it or from it.

I have dropped a couple dead trees. you can not be too careful,
I had one that truly scared me when it fell the opposite direction i was trying. the outside had much more puncky wood on the outside than I realized
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

thecfarm

I've cut leaning trees on my land.
They do what they want!!!  :o
I've also cut a lot of dead trees here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Wear a hard hat when cutting dead trees.  I remember an experienced logger getting killed cutting dead oak.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jhellwig

I don't care for dead standing trees.  Almost smashed myself when I was younger pushing one over with a tractor.  Forked top came down on me with me in between the fork.  Only came out of it with a severely swollen hand where the limb smashed down on top of it while on the three point lever.  My dad watched me do it and I will never forget the look on his face as it came down on me.

I do think I am going to try to take the leaner down.  I will bring home a come along and straps to make it move controlled. 

barbender

Another danger when you get the equipment out, is that you start pulling on those trees that are hung together and end up pulling the top loose on the second tree. There's lots of different ways to get killed messing with these.
Too many irons in the fire

rusticretreater

My neighbor has a skytrac that we use to make things a lot safer.  Thing can lift 4,000 pounds.  We push trees, put slings around them to support trees while cutting and anything else we can think up.  You can rent them for $400-500 a day.  Make a plan, get one and take out 4-5 problem trees in one day.

Cutting dead trees can be dangerous as they can snap while cutting or falling.  Think of a marble column made of pieces when it falls.  Things go different directions.  With a skytrac, you can push higher up and see if the tree breaks or maybe even just push it over.

I had one leaner hung up in another tree.  We lifted the leaner a bit, cut the supporting tree and then set the leaner on the ground.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on December 17, 2023, 10:45:36 AMWear a hard hat when cutting dead trees.  I remember an experienced logger getting killed cutting dead oak.
Ditto, I remember a story like that from when I was a kid, guy was very experienced and safety minded. Working the weekend for beer money, a branch fell and knocked him on the back of the head, stone cold dead on the spot and insurance didn't pay a dime since he was moonlighting. Sad. Left a Wife and 2 kids...

I second the arguments for girdling and/or dropping the supporting tree first. Tie a long rope up in it first, then work the bottom as much as you feel safe. If you can get a tractor/truck on the rope to pull it over you should be good once the base is compromised.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

beenthere

Quote from: NewYankeeSawmill on February 12, 2024, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: Ron Wenrich on December 17, 2023, 10:45:36 AMWear a hard hat when cutting dead trees.  I remember an experienced logger getting killed cutting dead oak.
Ditto, I remember a story like that from when I was a kid, guy was very experienced and safety minded. Working the weekend for beer money, a branch fell and knocked him on the back of the head, stone cold dead on the spot and insurance didn't pay a dime since he was moonlighting. Sad. Left a Wife and 2 kids...

Quote I have a good young man I was going to use for day-labor as-needed, said he'd come along for $200/day under-the-table.

Tell that story to this "good young man" you might let moonlight for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Others have said similar things already, but I'll make 2 comments:

Quote from: jhellwig on December 15, 2023, 06:08:07 PMafter my last time using a chainsaw a couple of months ago it seams I have forgotten a lot about taking down trees.

If that is the case, the sort of trees you pictured and described are NOT the place to brush up your skills. Those are the sorts of things to tackle AFTER you have developed or refreshed your skills.

QuoteSitting in the woods hunting showed me lots of stuff that needs cleaned up out there.
There is a ton of dead standing stuff that needs removed.

The woods doesn't "need" you to remove the dead stuff. You may want to remove it, and for very good reasons. (I can't think of a better one than keeping the kids safe.) However, as others have mentioned, that is great wildlife habitat. in addition to making good den trees, in general wildlife likes it messy. Please give some consideration to where you can safely leave standing dead trees, and leave some woody debris of various sizes on the ground.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

John's right. These are trees any full time cutter would be extremely careful with and in some cases walk away until they have some iron in there to back them up and reduce the hazard a great deal. Taking trees like that when you are not at the top of your game is well beyond dangerous. The problem with girdling (if there is one) is that you still don't know exactly WHEN they will come down, just that they will come down sooner. I am not sure how that helps. I prefer to take trees with as much healthy wood as possible, or at least as little rot as possible. Girling and killing them reduces this a bit and if you still wind up cutting, you have an even more hazardous tree.

With respect to making the woods safe for the kids, there is a limit to what you can do on that score. To be a bit absurd just to make a point, are you going to remove all the rocks so they can't trip? So there are things anyone who walks in the woods needs to be aware of and training kids is doing them a service. Teach them how to look around AND UP and be aware of what is going on, or could be going on. It's similar to teaching wildlife observation skills, looking for sign, tracks and other evidence. Looking for hazards is part of life in the woods, and what you have there are great examples for kids to learn from, they can easily grasp it. Certainly, it's a conversation you should have, regardless of age group. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Freedy201

It's hard for us on the forum to give you advice from photos. If you're not confident you can remove the tree yourself, you should just leave it or call professionals to take a look at it. I've worked with a chainsaw since I was a teenager, but when I'm not 100% sure I can take down a tree, I call professionals to do it.
Just a few weeks ago, I had a huge tree brought down by this tree removal company at my house in Oahu. It was leaning more and more towards the house, and I decided not to wait any longer because I don't always stay at that house to monitor it.

Thank You Sponsors!