iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer BMST50 changing CBN wheel

Started by DarlaL, October 18, 2022, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarlaL

We have a WoodMizer BMST50 sharpener/ toothsetter. How does everybody change the CBN wheel? I was able to change it once, but I am unable to remove it now. I can't find a lock button to lock the wheel while loosening the nut. I think I tightened it too much haha. When I changed it the last time, I used a small flat screwdriver and held it in the set screw hole behind the wheel. Nothing else fits in there, and this time, the screwdriver won't hold up to the pressure. I called WoodMizer and they are contacting the Head Technician in Ontario. In the meantime, they recommended an impact driver. I'm afraid it might hurt something in the motor or on the spline. How do others hold the wheel still in order to remove that nut? I won't use vice grips or anything of the sort in case I damage the wheel.

Any help would be appreciated!
SMG Champion Portable Sawmill - BMST50 sharpener/toothsetter

terrifictimbersllc

On my BMS 250 I just hold the wheel with the heel of my hand while I turn the nut with a wrench. I could also imagine arranging a tapered wooden block to press in against the wheel if I needed more force than that. Not pressing on the side of the wheel, but on its circumference. If you can't do it by hand you might consider holding the wheel firmly as you can with your hand and then gently using an impact wrench to loosen the nut. It doesn't take much torque to tighten the nut so that the wheel won't move.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DarlaL

Wooden wedge is a great idea! Thank you. I tried the heel of my hand but just about burnt it when my husband cranked on the nut  :D

I will try it and let you know. Thank you very much!

Ljohnsaw

It's not a left handed thread by any chance? ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stephen1

No LJ not a left hand thread. I thought so when I 1st got my sharpener, as I had lots of trouble changing the wheel, I also tightened too much. Also I ended up using some emery cloth on the spindle as the grinding wheels would not easily come off. Now they slide on and off no problem. Also I just snug it up holding the wheel by hand. 
DariaL, Another fix if that doesn't work is an oil change filter wrench around the wheel. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DarlaL

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 19, 2022, 10:09:56 AM
It's not a left handed thread by any chance? ::)
No. We thought it should have been, but it's not.

DarlaL

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 19, 2022, 11:38:16 AM
No LJ not a left hand thread. I thought so when I 1st got my sharpener, as I had lots of trouble changing the wheel, I also tightened too much. Also I ended up using some emery cloth on the spindle as the grinding wheels would not easily come off. Now they slide on and off no problem. Also I just snug it up holding the wheel by hand.
DariaL, Another fix if that doesn't work is an oil change filter wrench around the wheel.
The hardwood wedge worked! And surprisingly enough, I was looking in the bottom drawer of my husbands tool cabinet and staring at the rubber filter wrench and then got distracted! Thanks everybody for the great ideas. I was told by the guy at WoodMizer that I was the only one he knew of that had had that problem. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone ;) haha

Thank You Sponsors!