iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawmill use:

Started by Rodney Rockwell, October 25, 2022, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney Rockwell

County set time limit of 6 months use for portable sawmill use on my property, I have some dying yellow pine 16"+, any way around this?

sawguy21

I am a little puzzled. Does this mean you have a maximum 6 months to clear wood stored on your property or are you only allowed to use the mill for that length of time? 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Rodney:
Is this a zoning issue?
Please fill in your location, it could help us help you.
Oh and welcome to the FF.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

Yeah, you have to put in a few details.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Is this your mill or are you hiring a sawyer to do your milling. If you are hiring, that sawyer is going to want to come in, mill your logs, get paid and move onto his/her next job. You should have all your logs staged and ready to mill with your cut list before he arrives.
 If you own a mill, you have a much bigger issue. Details would be helpful for better answers. Without knowing where you are we can't even guess at the rugulations in your area. Without knowing why the county is involved rather tahn a ton gov't, it's even more confusing.
 Also "some" trees can mean 5, or for some of us it could mean 200.
 Details and photos get you the most useful info.
 Welcome to the forum.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

On the face of it, this limited scenario sounds ludicrous!  There's got to be more to the story.  Inquiring minds want to know!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

beenthere

We had a member a few years back who ran into an Iowa county ordinance problem with his bandsaw mill. Believe the county won.

May have had more to do with how tidy the area was kept, but really do not remember. Vague recall that there were logs, slabs, edgings, sawdust, equipment, mill, etc. among the weeds.

Welcome to the new member, but hope he comes back in to check out the responses. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I'm wondering if it's a case of zoning not allowing a permanent sawmill operation, but a short term portable operation is permitted? But after 6 months they deem it's become a "permanent" thing, and that's not allowed. 

If that's the case you can probably mill for a couple of months then remove the mill to another site for storage or use there. Make sure the inspector knows the mill is gone, then the clock resets. Collect some more logs, dispose of the waste and lumber and generally tidy up. Then haul the mill out of "hiding" and run it for a while again.  There probably isn't a regulation about how many portable milling sessions you can have, just that you can't become a permanent sawmill operation. But portable milling every 2nd month of the year may be a loophole?

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GAB

I'm waiting for @Rodney Rockwell to give us an idea of his location.
I'm thinking there is a possibility that state or provincal laws concerning agriculture or forestry just might trump local zoning.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!