iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

harvesting knots

Started by mrbrb, October 16, 2013, 03:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

mrbrb

Very nice looking projects.  Hats off to you.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

LeeB

Wow, some drill bit you got there. Did you make it yourself?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Okay, do I have to be the first to ask about the giant duck on a pallet?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Maybe it went to Wilton ME. I think there are a few around town like that. They are all diffeant painted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mrbrb

thanks for the kind words- 
regarding the drill bit, it is just a standard 1" metal cutting bit, welded to a 9' piece of rod. Figuring out how to drill that 9' hole straight took a lot of trial and error. Barefoot auger wandered way too much. Step bit was straight but slow. With this metal cutting bit, it took about 20 minutes per 9' hole.
regarding the duck, it is carved from a block of brownstone.

so now that I've got about 400 knots, need to figure out how to dry them without too much warping.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

beenthere

That was quick.
From last evening to this morning, you now have a bucket with 400 knots.

From where did you collect them? They look to be about 1/4" thick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Looks like you made a lot of knot holes.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jueston

I can't believe how centered that hole was after 9 feet.... wow...

beenthere

Likely staying in the soft juvenile core wood at the pith center is not that much of a problem if started right.

I'd think plugging up the bit with drilled wood means several withdrawals to clean it out.

That is quite an indexing rig used to make the different face cuts. Leaves some slabs that might be reassembled into some other form of art, but I don't know what it would be..   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RynSmith

Quote from: beenthere on October 17, 2013, 02:24:01 PM
Leaves some slabs that might be reassembled into some other form of art, but I don't know what it would be.. 

We should hook up mrbrb with that artist (I think she was a she) who was looking for slabs not too long ago!  ;D

Roxie

Quote from: Jeff on October 17, 2013, 08:22:45 AM
Okay, do I have to be the first to ask about the giant duck on a pallet?

That is one really awesome duck!! 
Say when

Magicman

You certainly have some very interesting projects and ideas mrbrb, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I do not know how to harvest knotholes, but my company name is Knothole Sawmill.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!